Kerry salutes Iraq’s progress in retaking ground from ISIL

rooster59

Kerry salutes Iraq’s progress in retaking ground from ISIL

post-247607-0-83329300-1460155332_thumb.

The US Secretary of State John Kerry has been in Baghdad to show support for Iraq especially over its battle against the so-called Islamic State.

During his first visit to the country since September 2014, he met Iraq’s Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari and, later, the Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, who has shaken up the establishment by proposing a cabinet reshuffle aimed at curbing corruption.

With the government in Baghdad embroiled in domestic turmoil, the US is worried about the impact on the struggle against ISIL (or Daesh as Kerry calls the extremists) – but he saluted progress made so far.

“Daesh is getting weaker by the day and the coalition strategy of supporting Iraqis with equipment, with training and airstrikes, is working. The fact is, in Iraq, Daesh fighters have not been on the offensive in months. They are losing ground including 40 percent of territory that they once controlled in Iraq,” Kerry told a news conference.

The Secretary of State announced $155 million (136 million euros) in humanitarian assistance for Iraq’s conflict-hit areas.

According to Kerry, there has been no request from Baghdad for more US troops.

Iraq says its forces – backed by US-led coalition airstrikes – have been attacking the ISIL-held town of Hit, some 130 kilometres northwest of Baghdad.

The defence ministry says the militants suffered heavy losses to personnel and equipment.

The area is strategically important as it takes in an ISIL supply line linking Iraq and Syria.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-09

It pains me to think how much money the US has spent on Iraq and how many lives have been lost.

However, I suspect that there are a few who have profited and profited well.

I doubt that the US can be out-muscled by anyone but they can be out-maneuvered with Oil. Look what happened there in the USA in the 70's when a few small countries put an embargo on oil supply. This whole strategy on over supplying oil right now is not to knock out the higher cost oil producers. It is to keep the US dependent on foreign oil supply.

But with Iraq under there wing, and having a huge cheap oil supply now, the US doesn't have to worry anymore what anyone else wants to do to the oil supply. This whole war had to do with Oil and just because it is years later it doesn't mean anything has changed their.

It pains me to think how much money the US has spent on Iraq and how many lives have been lost.

I doubt that the US can be out-muscled by anyone but they can be out-maneuvered with Oil. Look what happened there in the USA in the 70's when a few small countries put an embargo on oil supply. This whole strategy on over supplying oil right now is not to knock out the higher cost oil producers. It is to keep the US dependent on foreign oil supply.

But with Iraq under there wing, and having a huge cheap oil supply now, the US doesn't have to worry anymore what anyone else wants to do to the oil supply. This whole war had to do with Oil and just because it is years later it doesn't mean anything has changed their.

The oil companies involved in Iraq are largely not American. Iraq is an independent country. It has a Shiite majority and could easily and quickly align with Iran in any dispute. So the US cannot rely on oil from Iraq.

You might want to look at the statistics for US oil production. I don't think the US needs to rely on anyone in the Middle East for oil.

The oil companies involved in Iraq are largely not American. Iraq is an independent country. It has a Shiite majority and could easily and quickly align with Iran in any dispute. So the US cannot rely on oil from Iraq.

You might want to look at the statistics for US oil production. I don't think the US needs to rely on anyone in the Middle East for oil.

I do not share Goldbuggy's interpretation, and I am more persuaded by Credo.

I was originally referring more to corruption than to specifically the geopolitics of oil.

You are looking at Oil Production in the USA from $100 / bbl. At $35 / bbl they are still producing but most likely losing money on ever bbl they produce. This is why production has dropped in the past year or so and will continue to fall as these oil wells play out. The Oil Rig count is way down from what it used t be 2 years ago. No new wells thus no new oil. Thus putting the USA again dependent on Foreign Oil, and the Master Plan kicks in.

If you believe that the US is in control of Iraq, then you must also believe they are in control of everything that goes on there, including the selling of oil. If you believe Iraq is in charge, then what are they doing there? Why don't they kick them out? I am not claiming that the US is stealing Oil from Iraq. I am sure they would be paying Market Price for it when or if they need it. My point is now they have a secure sources, as they do with Canada. But just more of it.

You are looking at Oil Production in the USA from $100 / bbl. At $35 / bbl they are still producing but most likely losing money on ever bbl they produce. This is why production has dropped in the past year or so and will continue to fall as these oil wells play out. The Oil Rig count is way down from what it used t be 2 years ago. No new wells thus no new oil. Thus putting the USA again dependent on Foreign Oil, and the Master Plan kicks in.

If you believe that the US is in control of Iraq, then you must also believe they are in control of everything that goes on there, including the selling of oil. If you believe Iraq is in charge, then what are they doing there? Why don't they kick them out? I am not claiming that the US is stealing Oil from Iraq. I am sure they would be paying Market Price for it when or if they need it. My point is now they have a secure sources, as they do with Canada. But just more of it.

I think we are arguing apples and oranges. The US has an apple supply of oil for the time being. It also has large stockpiles. Any interruption in supply, will see the ramping up of production quickly. Oil is sold on the international market. The US is not committed to ME oil when ample supplies are available through Mexico, Central and South America, as well as Canada (which you mentioned).

The interest in Iraq has it's historical roots in oil, but oil is less of an interest by the US. It is, however, important that oil from Iraq, Saudi Arabia and the other oil producing countries in the ME not be interrupted to the rest of the world. Doing so would have a major affect on the world economy and that would also affect the US.

The US military activities in Iraq mean that both sides are well aware of how the other side works and what needs to be done to work together. It's not a happy marriage, but it is a marriage nonetheless. So, yes, the US tentacles run deep in Iraq, but the oil is not the primary reason.

Should the continued instability in places like Syria and Yemen increase, then there could be even bigger problems than at the present. The major risk of all this instability is the effect on Europe. Again, the things that affect Europe, affect the US.