SURVEY: If given the option, what would you do for Songkran?

Scott

SURVEY: If given the option, what would you do for Songkran?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The first year I was in Thailand, I thought Songkran was the neatest holiday I had ever had the honor of participating. The second year, it was fun and entertaining. The 3rd year it was a bit of a nuisance. By the 4th year, I hated it.

Now, I stalk up with food and snacks and stay home and watch television and have a grand old time. I don't begrudge the locals their tradition, I just can't quite get into any longer. But I do enjoy the solitude of staying home with the occasional visit by friends, who are usually also avoiding too much revelry.

I feel the same as you. Being a conservationist I think it is a huge waste of water. This modern concept of Songkran has truly destroyed the true meaning and spirit of this age old revered festival. 2nd I wonder how many people will wake up this morning but will be dead as a door nail by next weekend all for the sake of what?. 3rd and most grievous on my list is the huge speakers mounted across the road that just bang out the bass for 3 days. Its that loud thumping bass that just kills my ears. Also as a sufferer of tinnitus I wonder how many truly realize the damage they are doing to this precious gift by standing around and next to these monster speakers. As the old saying goes "You get to soon old and to late smart"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the years I have done Songkhran in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Ao Nang, Hatyai, and Songkhla. Although I wouldn't want to drink any of the water thrown at me, I use tap water and can easily douse myself if I think others have thrown dirty water or plastered me with powder. However, in all that time and all those places, I have seldom encountered dirty water, but then I don't hang around the khlongs or moats. I usually find a friend's bar, settle in for the day with food and drink, a dry set of clothes, and splash those passing by. The worst are the idiots who throw ice cubes with the water--but they can be dealt with. My favorite place is a friends bar on a one way street. Down the street about 20 meters is a three-story rooftop where friends have a Songkhran party out of range of the normal yayhoos. However, they hold drums of water waiting our call to drown a particular pick-up or group of revelers who may deserve it.

It is in my opinion an unfair survey. It reflects the current day's feeling. But not the over all feeling. I myself have participated in it once and once towards the end in fact the day after. On another occasion I was full tilt into it in a little village in Pichet. That one I would do every year.

Today here in Chiang Mai I will stay indoors and not go out. I how ever will not criticize it. It is a very important Holiday in Thailand and I am not a Thai but I do have respect for the culture no matter what it is. If I don't want to be a part of it I will not be. That is no reason to condemn and criticize it.

People that do that are like a Thai who would choose to move to the states and criticize the Fourth of July parades when he gets there.

I'm stuck offshore.. Done 3 weeks, got 3 more to do. Currently transiting from Australia to Singapore. Plenty of water (salty) but no booze. birds or revelry or any kind. Only hard work in the hot sun. I'd love to be home enjoying a beer and relaxing.. It's so funny every year about all the w4nkers whinging about Songkran.. Just think yourselves lucky to be home with your friends and family to enjoy it... Or worse you could be freezing in Europe..whistling.gif

I'm stuck offshore.. Done 3 weeks, got 3 more to do. Currently transiting from Australia to Singapore. Plenty of water (salty) but no booze. birds or revelry or any kind. Only hard work in the hot sun. I'd love to be home enjoying a beer and relaxing.. It's so funny every year about all the w4nkers whinging about Songkran.. Just think yourselves lucky to be home with your friends and family to enjoy it... Or worse you could be freezing in Europe..whistling.gif

Or "w4nkers" moaning about hard work, hot sun, no booze or birds. Many of us been there done that and bought the t-shirt.

Consider yourself fortunate to still be working, not sitting around here in the always greener grass, moaning about no work and new money coming in. On yer bike to the Tesco for more of that relaxing beer, minding your own farkin' business when some baby powder encrusted dildo comes out of a drive way to soaks you, your phone and money with a bucket of water. coffee1.gif

I have a few friends who have been around Thailand for quite a while and one of them said he really likes Songkran, as long as he doesn't draw a sober breath until it is over.

bad timing for booze...it will be banned (most of the day)....so just stay home and drink all you want. remember to stock up a few days ahead

Edited by slipperylobster

Or "w4nkers" moaning about hard work, hot sun, no booze or birds. Many of us been there done that and bought the t-shirt.

Consider yourself fortunate to still be working, not sitting around here in the always greener grass, moaning about no work and new money coming in. On yer bike to the Tesco for more of that relaxing beer, minding your own farkin' business when some baby powder encrusted dildo comes out of a drive way to soaks you, your phone and money with a bucket of water. coffee1.gif

Try driving your truck with the windows up... Best to leave the bike at home during Songkran.. No need to consider myself fortunate.. Been through 4 downturns in the 25+ years I've been offshore. Never been out of work yet and if it does ever happen I'll be happy to retire... laugh.png

Try driving your truck with the windows up... Best to leave the bike at home during Songkran.. No need to consider myself fortunate.. Been through 4 downturns in the 25+ years I've been offshore. Never been out of work yet and if it does ever happen I'll be happy to retire... laugh.png

Retirement is great. Everyone should try it at least once in their life. Have a good one. Safe travels.

Why is there no option for "Go about my life as normal, because it's no big deal"?

That would be the "Im Thaier than you" option, includes yerself and Suradit by the look of things

One Songkran I was staying on a beach just out of Rayong. I knew it was SK, but whether all the other inhabitants - Thai or Farang - knew, I don't know. But anyway not a drop of water was thrown, in fact, it was just like any other old day.

Buy a zip lock baggie, problem solved.

These guys don't want a solution. They just want people to join in their moaning.

It's once a year. It's a bit of fun. Getting wet won't kill you.

Spot on! Now go away and leave us to it. biggrin.png

Why is there no option for "Go about my life as normal, because it's no big deal"?

That would be the "Im Thaier than you" option, includes yerself and Suradit by the look of things

Because I don't think a bit of water fun is a total calamity?

Get a grip.

Moaning about Songkran is just a bit of harmless fun as well. Get a grip.

My story was conflated from a much lesser event, but at its core, does get at how an otherwise lovely, traditional celebration is perverted. The commercialized holiday bonanza in the US does my head the same way.

2 years ago, I waited until the 3 days of water play was over, everyone had packed it in, getting read to hit the road for home. Rode my push bike up to the Tesco, all clear, back to normal - fantastic! On the way back, some 3 foot tall crumb crusher is on the road with a garden hose, water just pouring out. He spots me, and starts flipping the hose/water at me, babbling like a moron. His Dad was sat there, I just shook my head and carried on. That little guy had no idea what SK is and little doubt, without an intervention, he'll grow up to be one of those baby powder encrusted drunk buffaloes with a bucket of water standing in front of cars on the highway. Hee hee, ha ha, look at me! SPLAT! Natural selection strikes again.

Because my "option" wasn't available I couldn't vote.

I would just like to stay dry or at the very least, just

not surprised by a bucket of ice water. I don't care to

lock myself away, I'd simply like to go about my

business without it getting soaked tongue.png

Sorry but is it written somewhere that if you're an expat, you're obliged to complain about Songkran?

If people don't like it,(fair enough), then just sod off for a few days or stay home

Me, I like it. Girls in wet t-shirts and clingy hot pants?

What's not to like?

Because it would not get any votes.

You mean apart from me, and the various people who liked my post?

Some of you guys really struggle with the idea that yours isn't the only opinion, don't you?

I do enjoy Songkran...

When I was younger (in my 20's) I enjoy the livelier side of things - water flights and partying.

Slightly older, I enjoy a few hours or so of 'water-play' after which I preferred to stay dry but still enjoy a night out with friends.

Now that I'm much older over recently years I've enjoyed going out of Bangkok with my family and In Laws or with friends

Last year we stayed in Bangkok and will do so this year - one reason is that we've had so many holidays recently, the other is that we found it to be nice and quiet in Bangkok, this is a good time to enjoy Bangkok !!...

There are still areas where we can take our Son (2 yrs old) and he can enjoy a little splash about with other children without drunk adults going over the top....

IMO: Songkran is a multifaceted holiday - everyone Thai or Western will enjoy a different part of it, the craziness can be avoided or embraced, you can dip your toe in the 'water' and have a little fun for a short period or simply go completely traditional and take part in temple festivities... there appears not to be one singular 'right way' to enjoy Songkran and from my experience there are plenty of ways to enjoy Songkran the 'way you like it'....

We live in Bangkok Sukhumvit around Thonglor area and there is no aggressive water splashing or powder throwing here or on the way to the cinema or malls we visit. Ocassionally a few children standing outside shophouses with a water hose but being in a car, it does not affect us. In short, a good relaxed holiday as all of Bangkok is so quiet. And if we are in the mood for water play, we go to Silom (went only once, thousands of farangs & thais were having great fun, but not for me).

One Songkran I was staying on a beach just out of Rayong. I knew it was SK, but whether all the other inhabitants - Thai or Farang - knew, I don't know. But anyway not a drop of water was thrown, in fact, it was just like any other old day.

You do realize that Songkran in Rayong isn't on the 12th. 13th & 14th April?

whistling.gif

Because it would not get any votes.

You mean apart from me, and the various people who liked my post?

Some of you guys really struggle with the idea that yours isn't the only opinion, don't you?

whistling.gifwhistling.gif