Why wear gold, especially if you know the risks?

giddyup

The risks of theft are low here in Thailand and most parts of Asia. You worry more on your travels to Europe or North America....

Have you been to Cambodia? Better not have any gold jewelry around your neck, camera dangling or in your hand, or purse on your shoulder, the thieves on motorcycles will surely get it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, not sure about that....Ladies would rather wear nothing than be found out wearing fake stuff to impress...The face thingy....

A lady would rather wear nothing? Just about every girl will wear some jewelry. Who do you think buys all the junk jewelry available by the ton at market and stores in Thailand? Jewelry doesn't need to be expensive to look good. The only problem is most of the cheap stuff doesn't last long.

Folks .. the word of the day is "Liquidity"

ALL women wear jewelry, and the value of it is relative to their income, (or partner's income)

If you buy your gold at the correct shop, and we all know that name .. the jewelry can be sold ... on the spot in 5 minutes ... at the current market price.

No haggling, no nonsense.

My wife wears gold every single day ... but only wears her gold necklaces when I am with her.

Her everyday bracelet is only 1 Baht, as are her two rings.

I mean really, women run around with diamonds worth 15 times that and I don't see this parade of whining about it.

Oh wait. This is Thai Visa so EVERYTHING a Thai woman does is wrong.

OK, ... got it now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The emboldened part isn't true - at least for me.

Back in my late teens/early 20s I wouldn't dream of buying anything other than genuine jewellery (both metals and stones). By my late 20s (when far better off financially), my brain (and probably fashion laugh.png) kicked in and genuine or obviously fake didn't matter.

Edited by dick dasterdly

You try giving a Thai lady 'junk jewellery' of very little value as a gift, and see if it is appreciated.

Of course you're not going to give cheap jewelry as a gift... they buy it themselves. Having said that, there would be plenty of Thai guys with low budgets buying cheap jewelry for their Thai girls AND it would be appreciated. A foreigner buying a Thai girl cheap jewelry - that's absurd LOL... as most of them have the idea that foreigners own money trees.

I should have mentioned there's a category of jewelry called "costume jewelry" and it's not always cheap.

Edited by tropo

can do it in udon.....come on up.nicer people here ...by far

But not at 6 AM in the Nongbua market, Meuang Udon Thani. That's when and where my sister in law was relieved of her 1 baht gold necklace while getting the veggie shopping in.

You try giving a Thai lady 'junk jewellery' of very little value as a gift, and see if it is appreciated.

Of course you're not going to give cheap jewelry as a gift... they buy it themselves. Having said that, there would be plenty of Thai guys with low budgets buying cheap jewelry for their Thai girls AND it would be appreciated. A foreigner buying a Thai girl cheap jewelry - that's absurd LOL... as most of them have the idea that foreigners own money trees.

So, 'it's the thought that counts' is a complete fallacy ?

No. It depends on the girl.

Disagree.

In the Western world, 'it's the thought that counts' is about normal.

In Thailand, 'it's the value that counts' is, most of the time, more appropriate.

Disagree.

In Thailand, 'it's the value that counts' is, most of the time, more appropriate.

Disagree with what?

Without stating the obvious and risking getting some punters upset, you have to look at the type of girls that foreigners usually associate with.

I'm sure there's plenty of Thai girls who would appreciate a cheaper gift - you're just not meeting them.

Your question reminds me of the time I met a friend of old that I used to drink with, hadn't seen him for about 30 years. Hi Gerry, I said to him, remember me?...he replied that he did and we went back over old times, then he said..."you were a flash git in those days, going around with a ton of gold on your fingers (sovereign rings were the real thing back then)...I suppose I was I said, mind you he wasn't too far behind me himself....always wore cowboy boots to halfway up the leg... The dear man is dead now, may he RIP. So I suppose the answer to your question is..."because they're flash gits" 555.

I personally don't like wearing gold, other than a wedding ring which I don't even wear anymore <my marriage is fine, I just don't like 'bling'>. I prefer a modest silver necklace, or even better, the beaded necklace I now wear a small, simple Buddhist medallion on.

Thai? Thais in my village wear their gold, and it tend to come out in quantity during festivals, funeral, weddings and other gatherings. Is someone going to rob them here in the village? Given the family interconnections, I seriously doubt it. If anyone gets robbed, everyone knows, and someone will know the perp. I've never heard of it happening, at least in our village. I heard of minor theft, but that's about it.

I certainly wouldn't wear 20 thousand Baht (1 Baht gold weight) notes rolled up around my neck, much less 40! Back 10 or so years ago, it would have been just 500 Baht notes rolled up around my neck.....today's gold prices = 1000 baht notes. No thanks.

And around 10 years ago, my wife and I were visiting friends in Pattaya. While having lunch in a restaurant, a European man and his Thai wife struck up a conversation with us. His wife had what looked like a burn mark around her neck. She explained.....they were riding in a motorcycle tuk tuk and a man rolled up alongside on a motorcycle. He grabbed her chain......lucky for her he dropped it in her lap as he rolled away. Unlucky for her, she'll probably have a permanent tattoo around her neck.

That night, I took off my 2 baht chain that my wife had given me 30 years ago. I don't wear it in public in Thailand anymore.

Tuk tuk theft is very common in Bangkok never have your bag sitting on the seat beside you that is a no no

I don't need to show off also, especially with so cheap things.

I have a 10mb car and it's enough, I dont need to show any gold anywhere I go <3

I personally don't like wearing gold, other than a wedding ring which I don't even wear anymore <my marriage is fine, I just don't like 'bling'>. I prefer a modest silver necklace, or even better, the beaded necklace I now wear a small, simple Buddhist medallion on.

Thai? Thais in my village wear their gold, and it tend to come out in quantity during festivals, funeral, weddings and other gatherings. Is someone going to rob them here in the village? Given the family interconnections, I seriously doubt it. If anyone gets robbed, everyone knows, and someone will know the perp. I've never heard of it happening, at least in our village. I heard of minor theft, but that's about it.

The risks of theft are low here in Thailand and most parts of Asia. You worry more on your travels to Europe or North America....

Have you been to Cambodia? Better not have any gold jewelry around your neck, camera dangling or in your hand, or purse on your shoulder, the thieves on motorcycles will surely get it.
good point. I haven't been to Cambodia for some reason, but I travelled Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia and Singapore and feel pretty safe in those countries, incl Thailand. Certainly safer than most countries in Europe.

I don't believe gold bars are a good investment, you may have to pay for an appraisal. Gold coins are the easiest to pass along because they are backed by the country that produced it.have a lot of maple leafs but don't need the cash ATM

I bought gold in 2007 for $900 an ounce.A few years ago it went to $1,900 an ounce.You say not A good

Investment.It went up nearly 100% in 5 years.Maybe not A good investment to you.I was happy with it.

those who bought gold for $1,900 are not happy.

I had to laugh (or cry) when I read this. I bought a lot of gold at around $350 in 2003. Sold it later that year at a loss.

I don't need to show off also, especially with so cheap things.

I have a 10mb car and it's enough, I dont need to show any gold anywhere I go <3

So you're a big show off and should understand people who like to show off, even with cheaper things like gold.smile.png

I don't show off gold or expensive cars.biggrin.png

I feel a lot of people don't understand the concept of females with jewelry. Most females dress to look nice. They put on makeup to look nice. The jewelry is merely a part of looking good.

I'll have to admit, I've never understood the concept of males wearing jewelry.

SHow off ? not at all, my cars are not to show, I use them. But yes, I have to admit that I like people to know that I am not their standard low so farang as most of the white people living in Thailand. Not to show off, but to inspire respect and fear. Does it work ? Yes, greatly ! And certainly a lot more than people who wear an ugly gold necklace, especially the ridiculous yellow gold that even smart farmers do not want to wear in 2016 :-)

SHow off ? not at all, my cars are not to show, I use them. But yes, I have to admit that I like people to know that I am not their standard low so farang as most of the white people living in Thailand. Not to show off, but to inspire respect and fear. Does it work ? Yes, greatly ! And certainly a lot more than people who wear an ugly gold necklace, especially the ridiculous yellow gold that even smart farmers do not want to wear in 2016 :-)

It sounds like a retraction on your earlier statement that you don't need to show off cheap gold because you have a 10 million baht car... and then you confirm it again that you do show off and try to justify it. Either way, you are concerned about your "look" and you obviously think you're a cut above the rest.

I show off on my 40k, 9 year old, dirty Honda Air Blade. I couldn't give a hoot what anything thinks, including Giddyup.

Edited by tropo

Disagree.

Disagree with what?

Without stating the obvious and risking getting some punters upset, you have to look at the type of girls that foreigners usually associate with.

I'm sure there's plenty of Thai girls who would appreciate a cheaper gift - you're just not meeting them.

No mate thats a whole different issue..,

insinuating most TV members only getting involved with BGs (hence your getting punters upset warning) As has been said on the whole in the West it is the thought that counts rather than the value and show of wealth as it appears here in SE Asia

No mate thats a whole different issue..,

insinuating most TV members only getting involved with BGs (hence your getting punters upset warning) As has been said on the whole in the West it is the thought that counts rather than the value and show of wealth as it appears here in SE Asia

There was no mention of BG's in my original statement, which you disagreed with.

You on the other hand are insinuating that 66 million people are overtly materialistic and no one in Thailand understands the value of a gift other than its material value.

I disagree with that.

It sounds like a retraction on your earlier statement that you don't need to show off cheap gold because you have a 10 million baht car... and then you confirm it again that you do show off and try to justify it. Either way, you are concerned about your "look" and you obviously think you're a cut above the rest.

I show off on my 40k, 9 year old, dirty Honda Air Blade. I couldn't give a hoot what anything thinks, including Giddyup.

Hey! I was agreeing with you.

Hey! I was agreeing with you.

Due to the order of the replies and quotes I assumed the flame was directed at me.

Typically it is due to ego, showing off, declaring one's status in other people's eyes, hoping to make oneself more attractive to somebody else, etc.. Very common in many cultures both high income and low income around the world. Sometimes it is a gift. Sometimes it is an investment which makes it a silly thing to wear about as that is not the way to keep an investment safe. Many travelers don't change their habits regardless of how or where they are traveling to. The risks far outweigh the rewards but it is their choice to do it. I personally think it is rude to wear fancy things when traveling to more impoverished countries. Is it showing off? Not necessarily, since the wearer may be oblivious to what is being perceived. Safety-wise it is foolish as one just becomes a more likely target.

Typically it is due to ego, showing off, declaring one's status in other people's eyes, hoping to make oneself more attractive to somebody else, etc.. Very common in many cultures both high income and low income around the world. Sometimes it is a gift. Sometimes it is an investment which makes it a silly thing to wear about as that is not the way to keep an investment safe. Many travelers don't change their habits regardless of how or where they are traveling to. The risks far outweigh the rewards but it is their choice to do it. I personally think it is rude to wear fancy things when traveling to more impoverished countries. Is it showing off? Not necessarily, since the wearer may be oblivious to what is being perceived. Safety-wise it is foolish as one just becomes a more likely target.

The OP hasn't made his question solely about tourists wearing jewelry - it's about anyone wearing it, including Thai people.

The OP was about wearing it, in public, out & about; routinely, ... not owning it. And that's about status. Pretty much always has been. Beyond genuine ritual & ceremonial display, those with a porous self-image or in need of validation are just going to do it, regardless of the risk of misadventure. 'Silly, but for some it's just in their nature.

I have never worn jewelry....I came to LOS and a Thai boxer I met, family stuff, gave me a Buddha to take care of me....I was grateful....Mrs.Trans said perhaps you should put it on a chain....whistling.gif ......Well I did, I wear it ever day for ten years.....Folk are glad I do...

If someone wants to take it, well, they can take it....Not too bothered...Of course they may need a new plastic nose, or I may be in a box.....Either way it is my decision to wear it and a thief's decision for new cosmetics.....I don't care....smile.png

You know, I must apologize. I kind of meant religious display when I said "ritual & ceremonial display", but that certainly wasn't clear (some here would take issue with any reference to religion, and others with Buddhism AS a religion...). A chain supporting a Buddha or religious icon is understandable. I'm not sure chain-snatchers respect the fact, but the wearing of it isn't about status. IMO, if large & ostentatious however, then that still carries a ridiculous risk with it and seems as much or more about status than reverence.

Hmmmmm, fink some then should forget wearing fip-flops with a Nike logo...........whistling.gif

You dunno how close to the truth that is Trans...I went to a swimmimg pool complex, and as everyone does kicked off my Scholle flip flops with about 30 other pairs already there, we were only in there 4/5 minutes, came out and they were gone....thieving bastardos!!

Hmmmmm, fink some then should forget wearing fip-flops with a Nike logo...........whistling.gif

Disagree Trans.

Nobody is going to rob your flip flops.

Take copy watches, people wear them to tell the time, in their opinion, they look impressive, and if they lose it, or break it, they don't care, it cost them peanuts.

People wear thick gold chains as a show of wealth. If they think it is smart to flaunt it in areas where crime is rife, I say, more fool them.

Somebody DID steal my flip-flops....see post above.(#98) Edited by Ghostnigel