Why wear gold, especially if you know the risks?

giddyup

The risks of theft are low here in Thailand and most parts of Asia. You worry more on your travels to Europe or North America....

Not in Pattaya it's not. I'm sure it's safer out in the boonies where they only steal buffalos and water pumps.

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe gold bars are a good investment, you may have to pay for an appraisal. Gold coins are the easiest to pass along because they are backed by the country that produced it.have a lot of maple leafs but don't need the cash ATM

I bought gold in 2007 for $900 an ounce.A few years ago it went to $1,900 an ounce.You say not A good

Investment.It went up nearly 100% in 5 years.Maybe not A good investment to you.I was happy with it.

So did you sell it at $1900/ounce?

Theoretically if you did not sell at $1895/ounce which was the price gold peaked at in 2011 then you will probably have made a loss on the potential profit you could have made...

Gold is now trading at under $1250/ounce, if you still have that gold do you not think a gain of less than 40% in nearly a decade to be a good investment?

P.S. Price for gold in 2007 was $608 - 841 an ounce, you was done... gigglem.gif

http://onlygold.com/m/Prices/Prices1972.asp

Boring post.

The OP was not about the price of it, but more about the knob heads walking around wearing it.

Excuse me, did you just call my wife a knob head?

You say that about my wife, and all the other guys here who actually have a life, and lovely Thai wives who are far from the cesspools many Thai Visa trolls think the Kingdom is all about.

However, we will not roast that old chestnut, We will not have the age old flame fest so common on this forum, the back and forth ... the insults. It is a bore, and I believe in a battle of wits, you are empty handed.

But know this.

You have answered the question, "Why do the guys who live here and know Thailand, the language, the customs, have connections .. who could really lend a helpful hand and even friendship ... walk past other foreigners with a glassy stare pretending they do not exist?"

I guess you need to ask their "knob head" wives.

Now if you will excuse me, we are going on holiday this week, and I have more important things on my agenda than sharing time with you.

Oh! And DO enjoy another week with your cheap beer "paid friends" ... Dah Ling

It's a bling thing.There are some who cannot resist the wearing of expensive jewelry in public places.Even when they have been warned and read,on here,what happens.

When you are wearing stuff like that,even on your self or your g/f,you might as well just light your self up as a 'mug me' advert.My wife has several nice bracelets and

some rings and even a proper designer watch,but she wont even wear them in the village.She wears her wedding ring,and thats it.I was surprised to learn that when you see the film stars walking down the red carpet at a film premier,the bling they wear is purely representative of the real thing.The stuff they are draped in are paste copies of what they have at home or in a safety deposit box somewhere.The copies are made by jewelers.Lets face it,they dont know who is in the crowd.And when the starlets who are abou

to be big stars.borrow their bling from diamond and gold houses,and even then they are only copies.Yeah! i was surprised too.But when you think about it,it makes sense.

There will always be those that believe in the old pikey saying,"wear what youve got" But i dont see many pikeys over here.

And if there are,and they are reading this, i say to you all.'Cushti Boc'

can do it in udon.....come on up.nicer people here ...by far

Sounds good. But I think this was in the Pattaya forum based on all the events of ladyboy's and their sticky fingers.

yep.. can wear your gold here.

even us dumb country boys up in udon read your forum.

I tried out Pattaya..it's a nice disneyland type place. Good for a visit. However...I like the attitude of the people in the northeast.

kind of nice. and relatively safe. I sure don't mind visiting Pattaya..but ...

just saying.

Edited by slipperylobster

I always wear my gold too, i got the necklace when I was 16 and graduated, so why not wear it. Its not Thai gold but 18 carat gold so its far stronger as Thai gold. Also it stands out and Thais can't sell it easy so less attractive to rob.

I don't see the point in owning gold if your not going to wear it.

The thing is wear them but dont display them. I wear a gold chain but it is inside my shirt and cant be readily seen. I wear an expensive watch and have been asked how much. I tell them it is a fake I paid Baht 700 for and they dont bother then.

If you go around displaying lots of gold and Rolex watches expect to be targeted

It's a bling thing.There are some who cannot resist the wearing of expensive jewelry in public places.Even when they have been warned and read,on here,what happens.

When you are wearing stuff like that,even on your self or your g/f,you might as well just light your self up as a 'mug me' advert.My wife has several nice bracelets and

some rings and even a proper designer watch,but she wont even wear them in the village.She wears her wedding ring,and thats it.I was surprised to learn that when you see the film stars walking down the red carpet at a film premier,the bling they wear is purely representative of the real thing.The stuff they are draped in are paste copies of what they have at home or in a safety deposit box somewhere.The copies are made by jewelers.Lets face it,they dont know who is in the crowd.And when the starlets who are abou

to be big stars.borrow their bling from diamond and gold houses,and even then they are only copies.Yeah! i was surprised too.But when you think about it,it makes sense.

There will always be those that believe in the old pikey saying,"wear what youve got" But i dont see many pikeys over here.

And if there are,and they are reading this, i say to you all.'Cushti Boc'

My wife like yours wont wear her engagement ring outside. Says she would get her hand cut off by someone if she did. Wears her wedding ring though.

I don't believe gold bars are a good investment, you may have to pay for an appraisal. Gold coins are the easiest to pass along because they are backed by the country that produced it.have a lot of maple leafs but don't need the cash ATM

I bought gold in 2007 for $900 an ounce.A few years ago it went to $1,900 an ounce.You say not A good

Investment.It went up nearly 100% in 5 years.Maybe not A good investment to you.I was happy with it.

I never said gold was a bad investment, just gold bullion usually requires an assay, sorry I said appraisal wrong term. I bought my coins from the Canadian mint in 1983 for $300. Sold some for $1000 and some more at $1800 but still have more. As for fakes that looks like Chinese coins and I wouldn't touch their crap for nothing

You buy it from one of the reputable dealers in bkk, preferably the ones with warranty by appointment of the royal house. You get a certificate, have the stamp & serial number from the dealer. No "appraisal" needed, case closed.

I always wear my gold too, i got the necklace when I was 16 and graduated, so why not wear it. Its not Thai gold but 18 carat gold so its far stronger as Thai gold. Also it stands out and Thais can't sell it easy so less attractive to rob.

I don't see the point in owning gold if your not going to wear it.

I got american gold. it's much stronger than thai gold. we got it from mexico. The funniest gold is the kind you buy in the Philippines. They cut out a cigarette box into little squares and staple "gold" earings on them. You don't even get a 2 cent box. If you ask if the gold is real, they pull out a device *runs on a battery" that has a dial on it (Good...Bad) . They then present it to you as "Originale" . Nine times out of ten, there is something else inside that gold plating.

For me...gold is a precious metal..... only one type of gold on the chart of "elements". The more pure, the better it's value. Strong is good, but American 10k is crap.

Edited by slipperylobster

i think anyone who wears that brassy thai bling has serious taste issues and is asking for it. when was the last time you withdrew cash from savings and paraded around that cesspit called pattaya with it strung up around your neck?

of course just parading around pattaya period raises some serious red flags.

thai gold is currency. anyone who wears currency for show is begging to get robbed.

i think anyone who wears that brassy thai bling has serious taste issues and is asking for it. when was the last time you withdrew cash from savings and paraded around that cesspit called pattaya with it strung up around your neck?

thai gold is currency. anyone who wears currency for show is begging to get robbed.

For every gold necklace, there are at least 100 people waiting to snatch it. Cannot get any dumber in Pattaya.

can do it in udon.....come on up.nicer people here ...by far

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Happens quite often or don't you listen to the news or read newspapers. But then one has to speak and read Thai to find out the amount of criminality that is on the rise throughout Udon. There are a lot of nice people sure but there are also many misfits. I have a home in Udon and Loei and will never wear my gold, my wife, who is Thai, warned me not to do so, so our gold is now kept in a bank safety deposit box and worn on only special occasions.

In Pattaya, many guys just stuff the cash in their wallets, and shove the fat wallets into their trousers... seems to make them super attractive.....!

I don't think it's as common for the Thais to wear gold nowadays like before,

especially with the amount of theft on the streets happening on a daily basis.

The Thais that do still wear it are probably doing so to express their wealth status

in a society that is extremely materialistic, they do love their gold!

As you said, the naive tourist is always going to be the main target, but the expats

that have been here a while should know better, but some of them also like to show

their wealth too.

"...in a society that is extremely materialistic, they do love their gold!"

As opposed to western societies that don't care about such things as having expensive bling, the biggest house, the flashiest car and showing off the latest tech gadgets they just got in order to impress everyone? I'd say most Thais regard gold as a savings medium available for quick cash in an emergency.

Edited by Suradit69

wearing gold

benefits; look like a rapper, appear wealthy to some people, show your style, be accepted in gold wearing circles, meet gold wearing women or even gold teeth women WOW

risks; look like a rapper, appear tacky to some people, show your style, be accepted in gold wearing circles, meet gold wearing women or even gold teeth women WOW, get robbed

The Thais that do still wear it are probably doing so to express their wealth status

As you said, the naive tourist is always going to be the main target, but the expats

that have been here a while should know better, but some of them also like to show

their wealth too.

As opposed to western societies that don't care about such things as having expensive bling, the biggest house, the flashiest car and showing off the latest tech gadgets they just got in order to impress everyone? I'd say most Thais regard gold as a savings medium available for quick cash in an emergency.

which reinforces my assertion that it is just plain stupid to walk around wearing the stuff.

The OP was about wearing it, in public, out & about; routinely, ... not owning it. And that's about status. Pretty much always has been. Beyond genuine ritual & ceremonial display, those with a porous self-image or in need of validation are just going to do it, regardless of the risk of misadventure. 'Silly, but for some it's just in their nature.

their wealth too.

which reinforces my assertion that it is just plain stupid to walk around wearing the stuff.

That's not the reason why 96.5% Thai gold jewelry is so popular. If it was for investment only, they'd be buying coins and bars. It's an investment that the ladies can wear and they enjoy wearing it... until they sell it. Anyone who thinks they should horde it in a safe doesn't get the point of it.

And there's more - for a small price all old jewelry can be replaced for brand new - they all do this quite often.

The OP was about wearing it, in public, out & about; routinely, ... not owning it. And that's about status. Pretty much always has been. Beyond genuine ritual & ceremonial display, those with a porous self-image or in need of validation are just going to do it, regardless of the risk of misadventure. 'Silly, but for some it's just in their nature.

Wearing jewelry is not "all about status" for ladies. Even if they can't afford the real stuff ladies will still wear cheap jewelry. This is not a Thai thing - it's a world wide phenomenon. Since the dawn of civilization females have been adorning their bodies with jewelry... BECAUSE IT LOOKS NICE!!! It's that simple.

their wealth too.

That's not the reason why 96.5% Thai gold jewelry is so popular. If it was for investment only, they'd be buying coins and bars. It's an investment that the ladies can wear and they enjoy wearing it... until they sell it. Anyone who thinks they should horde it in a safe doesn't get the point of it.

And there's more - for a small price all old jewelry can be replaced for brand new - they all do this quite often.

Exactly, thank you ... for a moment, i thought I was the only one on this thread who understands how the real world turns.

their wealth too.

I know several Thais who own gold jewelry. While the bling factor may be part of it, they tell me it's a hedge against disaster.Banks can fail, the currency can go into the toilet, but they'll have some security.

Wearing jewelry is not "all about status" for ladies. Even if they can't afford the real stuff ladies will still wear cheap jewelry. This is not a Thai thing - it's a world wide phenomenon. Since the dawn of civilization females have been adorning their bodies with jewelry... BECAUSE IT LOOKS NICE!!! It's that simple.

The ladies do know if it is BigC stuff..............whistling.gif

Sure, but no matter what their budget, a lady will try to wear something she considers nice, rather than walk around naked. Junk jewelry is a huge business for a reason.

their wealth too.

I know several Thais who own gold jewelry. While the bling factor may be part of it, they tell me it's a hedge against disaster.Banks can fail, the currency can go into the toilet, but they'll have some security.

Yes, it is considered a hedge, but this is a hedge they can wear. They don't spend hours looking for the nicest piece they can find in a gold shop to hide it away in their safe. If you think about it, it's a great idea to have an investment you can enjoy on a daily basis.

Edited by tropo

The ladies do know if it is BigC stuff..............whistling.gif

Sure, but no matter what their budget, a lady will try to wear something she considers nice, rather than walk around naked. Junk jewelry is a huge business for a reason.

You try giving a Thai lady 'junk jewellery' of very little value as a gift, and see if it is appreciated.

Folks .. the word of the day is "Liquidity"

ALL women wear jewelry, and the value of it is relative to their income, (or partner's income)

If you buy your gold at the correct shop, and we all know that name .. the jewelry can be sold ... on the spot in 5 minutes ... at the current market price.

No haggling, no nonsense.

My wife wears gold every single day ... but only wears her gold necklaces when I am with her.

Her everyday bracelet is only 1 Baht, as are her two rings.

I mean really, women run around with diamonds worth 15 times that and I don't see this parade of whining about it.

Oh wait. This is Thai Visa so EVERYTHING a Thai woman does is wrong.

OK, ... got it now.

Rubbish! I'm not into jewellery for its own sake - but when young would always match outfits with jewellery. Real or (obviously fake) beads was irrelevant, it depended on what worked with the clothes I was wearing. Must quickly hasten to add that I'm female laugh.png !

Nowadays I don't care so much about matching clothes and jewellery to look good, and tend to restrict myself to earrings - but v rarely I'll wear a gold or silver (close fitting) necklace when I'm enthusiastic enough to care that a particular necklace looks good with what I'm wearing.

But unfortunately, wearing gold jewellery that can easily be grabbed is foolish in any tourist area.

Edited by dick dasterdly