PM asks Thais to stick to core value when celebrating Songkran

webfact

PM asks Thais to stick to core value when celebrating Songkran

cv.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 April 2016 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has called on members of the public to celebrate the Songkran Festival in an appropriate way and uphold the core value of Thai culture.

Government spokesperson Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the prime minister had expressed concerns about people’s behavior during the Songkarn celebration. He said Thais must maintain the core value of their culture through various traditional activities such as pouring water on Buddha statues and the “Rot Nam Dam Hua” ceremony to pay respect to older relatives.

Songkran should be celebrated in a polite way while people should avoid wearing revealing clothes in order to prevent sexual harassment when joining water-throwing activities. He said Thai people should make good impressions for foreign visitors and make them understand the true meaning of Songkran.

According to the spokesperson, the government is planning to organize several activities nationwide to promote and preserve the Thai culture.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-11 footer_n.gif

Honestly, do most Thais even know what their "core culture" is?

These leaders and their values. They are chasing something that no longer exists.

If they really want to be true to their culture they will have woman run around topless again. Or is that too much culture?

I think he's right, the festival has been ruined over the past 20 years and turned into a nasty aggressive one in many places, when it's meant to be the opposite. Chucking buckets of water over people who do not want to get involved and when they are on bikes, on the way to work and on public transport is not 'fun' it's stupidity. Needs reigning back to how it used to be.

Government spokesperson Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the prime minister had expressed concerns about people’s behavior during the Songkarn celebration. He said Thais must maintain the core value of their culture through various traditional activities such as pouring water on Buddha statues and the “Rot Nam Dam Hua” ceremony to pay respect to older relatives.

And Thais will continue to do above....Buddha statues are placed everywhere during this holiday for such purposes...many times at the entrance of stores like Lotus, Foodland, etc.

However, but, many Thais will also be celebrating by the splashing of water on folks....and by doing such does not mean they are not maintaining their core values.

Just another gloriously worded 50 to 100 word govt press release describing some very brief, related statement from some high govt official....that's what the govt press corp does for a living.

Edited by Pib

Today, we went to the Wat and we participated in a very traditional series of prayers and rituals. Tomorrow night we are going to enjoy the festivities in the street, while not endangering others.

These two activities are not mutually exclusive choices. Traditional Thailand and modern Thailand can coexist, except in fossilized minds.

According to the spokesperson, the government is planning to organize several activities nationwide to promote and preserve the Thai culture.

Elections, democracy and freedom of speech are not a part of Thai culture. But lying facedown on the floor is.

''Songkran should be celebrated in a polite way while people should avoid wearing revealing clothes in order to prevent sexual harassment when joining water-throwing activities.''

So it's the victims fault, got it :rolleyes: Since I am not a rapist or a molester, I won't act in that way...conversely...actual scumbags don't act based on what you wear. :blink:

I wish this arrogant, high- nosed "thai values" and "tradition"- blabbering would finally stop!

It annoys the hell out of me!

a) many, many, many Thais actually follow the "tradition" of honoring the elders, cleaning the Buddha- statues etc...and afterwards go out to party!

b ) I know, most of the people, who bore me to death with "traditions" do not believe in "evolution"...but Songkran has evolved! Do you have to be pleased with it? Nope! Can you let other people enjoy it?

c) all of the foreigners, who go on and on and on and on about "traditions"...how do you celebrate Christmas? Going to church, singing hymns, giving to the poor? Or do you feast on goose and drown each other in presents, brought by the traditional Santa Claus, while sitting under the pagan symbol of the Christmas Tree? Spare me your indignation, oh Thai'er-than-Thai!

d) all those who go "yes! appropriate clothing! the general is so right!"...Have you forgotten, what happens around Silom on any given day?

Or would you care to tell me, what traditions, you and yours are actually talking about? The 30's? When Thai- woman went around topless, everywhere? Oh, I am all for that!

Hypocrits!

Honestly, do most Thais even know what their "core culture" is?

These leaders and their values. They are chasing something that no longer exists.

If they really want to be true to their culture they will have woman run around topless again. Or is that too much culture?

Well, I can tell you what the core values, isn't. "Throwing water in the faces of people when riding motorcycles". It is about, being with friends and family. Core values are good things. Every country should have them. And if you have been in Thailand, it is one one the reasons why you stay.

I think he's right, the festival has been ruined over the past 20 years and turned into a nasty aggressive one in many places, when it's meant to be the opposite. Chucking buckets of water over people who do not want to get involved and when they are on bikes, on the way to work and on public transport is not 'fun' it's stupidity. Needs reigning back to how it used to be.

Careful you will be attacked by the Farang Fun fellows that sit in the dark corners of TV ready to pounce and defend their dumb ways.

Today, we went to the Wat and we participated in a very traditional series of prayers and rituals. Tomorrow night we are going to enjoy the festivities in the street, while not endangering others.

These two activities are not mutually exclusive choices. Traditional Thailand and modern Thailand can coexist, except in fossilized minds.

Your comments puts you in a rare breed category that of someone who cares. Unfortunately your type are few and far between during the 3 days of madness. The loss of tradition and the modern world colliding is what has our lovely planet in a death spiral.

Signed Old Fossil.

Last year 387 people died "playing" Songkran...I hope that at least some people will follow the General's advice...but I fear it will be the drunken scene as usual...

Is that all? Some people are as I type taking their last breathes on mother earth. I wonder what they will come back as? A plastic water gun no doubt.