Soldiers arrest Koh Phangan jet ski operator

webfact

Why did it take the soldiers to deal with this? Sad that the police couldn't handle it....

What difference does it make who helped whom to make the arrest? There were a number of jet skis involved perhaps there was a need for a few personnel to impound them?

thong nai pan has historically been, because of its isolated location and the contacts of one of its main investors, a law unto itself. In the past it has been staunchly defended from encroachment by other influential families from other parts of the island.

it is not surprising a military presence was necessary.

years back thong nai pan was cowboy country and an ongoing war between haadrin and thong nai an mafias was in full bloom.

Thong nai pan won, and it has been pretty much autonomous ever since.

its an interesting history.

thong nai pan has historically been, because of its isolated location and the contacts of one of its main investors, a law unto itself. In the past it has been staunchly defended from encroachment by other influential families from other parts of the island.

it is not surprising a military presence was necessary.

years back thong nai pan was cowboy country and an ongoing war between haadrin and thong nai an mafias was in full bloom.

Thong nai pan won, and it has been pretty much autonomous ever since.

its an interesting history.

Interesting, I know for a fact that all of the resort owners in Thong Nai Pan wanted the jet skis gone. I don't know who the "main investors" in the bay could be if it isn't the resort owners, but they needed the army to remove some jet ski operators (who aren't locals).

So who is the all powerful influential person if the locals who own all the beachfront land can't remove some outsiders without help?

I will give you that because of its isolation that there is a tight knit group in the bay who will do what they can to keep the bay how they want (mostly that means no parties and or people scamming tourists) but again this group needs the army to get rid of a couple of jet ski operators.

"A long running operation" I don't understand. Just go down to the beach, arrest the

operator. Tow all the jet-skis back to the police impound yard. Arrest the owner

when he turns up to complain his jet-skis have been stolen. A 30 minute operation

and a little waiting time. Operation done. coffee1.gif

They did that last time, well something similar. It lasted about 6 months before the charges were dropped (not by the army) and the jetskis were back.

So this time the army have been waiting until the are sure they have enough evidence to close the operations down for good.

I know that it is easy to sit back and say that so and so is bad so just lock him up but you need the proof to keep holding them. This is just like why they can't go straight after the big "influential people" since they don't do the acts themselves, you have to start at the bottom and follow the money and orders back up.

The police know exactly who controls and runs this operation. They've got all the proof they need. Sadly, corruption comes into play. And nothing gets done.

It will be interesting to see how things play out here in Pattaya now that the mayor is gone, and soon, many who were under him. All being replaced by the military.

Everyone knows who runs the operations, who the local influential people are, who needs to be removed to clean up corruption. The problem is that you need:

1. Someone with enough power that is prepared to do something about it.

2. For them to have proof that will stand up in court.

That is why I am saying that it takes time. Once the army decided to get involved the locals could tell them who the problem is in no time, but the army still have to collect the evidence to make it stick.

Should have sent the Navy...

They could have towed them out to sea and used them for gunnery practice. whistling.gif

You know the Navy can't use jetski's, they don't have a big enough "jack staff" on them to fly the "Jolly Roger" or to are big enough to carry fishermans nets (stolen from the fishermen) smile.pngthumbsup.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

Why did it take the soldiers to deal with this? Sad that the police couldn't handle it....

This is one of the reasons why, no matter what else comes from the military, that the people like them. On occasion, they will come in and do what the police will not.

when we were at ch am the jets boys would ram the beach at high speed just to get the boats on the beach. god help and youngster who took a wrong turn at the wrong moment i have no problem with the jets boys but let it be controlled areas and no scams

Locals said that prawns used by villagers to make gapi or shrimp paste had steadily been disappearing as a result of the jetskis.

tv]

OMG it took GAPI took tame these ..... Clowns!!! The army came in because of GAPI was missing? What?? I'm going down Soi 8 with GAPI rubbed all over my body

• 4 weeks later...

And they're back. I must say I am surprised by how quick they were this time.

Talking to the locals, the villagers are working on plan d (e?) to remove the jetskis again. Not sure how long it will be before someone resorts to all purpose plan T.

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2016 at 11:21 AM, HooHaa said:

what a deliciously typical thaivisa response.

one would think that you would be content in the knowledge that steps were being taken to banish the jetskis.

interestingly, koh phangan does not seem to have had the same issues with jetski scammers as samui, pattay and phuket.

i knew an operator there a few years back and never once hear a bad word against him.

i have certainly not heard of any issues on thong nai pan with jetski rip off, and this would indicate the issue is more environmental than criminal.

There was a French renting jetski, right ? Where is he now ?

On 5/23/2016 at 6:43 PM, Bsd said:

And they're back. I must say I am surprised by how quick they were this time.

Talking to the locals, the villagers are working on plan d (e?) to remove the jetskis again. Not sure how long it will be before someone resorts to all purpose plan T.

You mean that the jetski have been back 1 month later ? And now ? Are they still on Tong nai pan noi ?

On 4/11/2016 at 11:39 AM, craigt3365 said:

Really? I didn't know there was a delicious AND typical thaivisa response! laugh.png

No reason to ban jet skis as long as they are not hurting the environment or involved in the scams. Which, by the way, do happen on KPN. A quick Google search will show you.

I'm amazed any prawns are left in that bay. It's transited by dozens and dozens of long tail boats all day long. They're probably worse than the few jets skis that get rented.

Is there any bigger noise pollution than jet skis flying up and down a beach your trying to relax on? The thing is they never stop because when its quite they dont just park the jets ski but prefer to do donuts close to the waterline to try an entice customers

Good work on arresting this guy!!!!