More Bangkok people leave houses under police watch during Songkran festival

webfact

More Bangkok people leave houses under police watch during Songkran festival

110417-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police said Bangkok people have left a total of 1,033 houses for the police to watch as they leave for vacation at homes in the provinces during the long Songkran holidays.

A police spokesman said a total of 766 were left for police to monitor on April 9, and 267 more yesterday.

The project was launched by the police early this month so as to ensure the people that they could enjoy their 7-day long holidays with no worry of thefts and burglaries if they inform respective police stations before leaving the city for Songkran celebrations in their native homes in the provinces.

The police will make regular patrols and keep watch on houses left under their care from April 12-18.

This year the police also opens mobile application “Line” for residents to check their houses around the clock so as to make them feel more confident to place houses under police watch.

Last year, a total of 4,634 houses nationwide were left under police watch during the Songkran holidays.

The figures comprised 1,497 houses in Bangkok and the remaining in the care of Police Region 1, 2, and 7, and the local police stations across the country.

The project was first launched 15 years ago and was very successful.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159092

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-11

It really is kind of a joke. What happens is police with ride by once or twice per day....and may even stop and sign a little sheet to leave it in your mailbox. So, for those few seconds to maybe a minute a policeman rode by your house/maybe stopped to sign a sheet, that is the sum total of being under police watch. A couple of people in my Bangkok moobaan uses the program periodically. Better than nothing I guess.

1,033 out of how many million? I would regard this as an indication of almost zero confidence in the police. But then I don't know how to spin numbers like the government does... and the sad thing is that many people are taken in by headlines like this.

slip them 100 a day and they feed the pets too.

personally i would pay the local nuk leng 100 baht.

really our best security is the old lady and her very unattractive daughter over the road.

when we have the odd job boys around, we get them to do things for her as well.

better than a german shepherd.

Edited by macksview

So is there any guarantee with this protection program? I guess not:)

We have an alarm system that send a message to out phone if the system is breached. It's only gone off once, though it was a false alarm. We called the guards to check. Too bad we didn't have it when we did actually get broken into!

1,033 out of how many million? I would regard this as an indication of almost zero confidence in the police. But then I don't know how to spin numbers like the government does... and the sad thing is that many people are taken in by headlines like this.

So, if it's 4.6k last year what's going on?

That 1,033 seems to be a bit too accurter a number to not be contrived (note also the 33 of Masonry).

There's a message in here, but what it is I'm really not sure of.

So is there any guarantee with this protection program? I guess not:)

We have an alarm system that send a message to out phone if the system is breached. It's only gone off once, though it was a false alarm. We called the guards to check. Too bad we didn't have it when we did actually get broken into!

"so as to ensure the people that they could enjoy their 7-day long holidays with no worry of thefts and burglaries"

that sounds like a cast-iron 'Guaranthai' to me.....

So, if it's 4.6k last year what's going on?

That 1,033 seems to be a bit too accurter a number to not be contrived (note also the 33 of Masonry).

There's a message in here, but what it is I'm really not sure of.

This is what is going on as it very clearly states in the article, 4634 last year nationwide, 1033 so far this year in Bangkok.

The message is read the report properly.

Every moobaan and big mansion has security, that's what you need if you live in BKK. If it was very safe nobody would need them right? We have 2 shifts of 30 guards 24 hrs.

Labourers from upcountry take all their possesions home for the holiday, watch all them pickups on the highway with a fridge and fan in the bed.