Bangkok Bank Automatic Debit

I switched from True to Buddy (yeah, those cute girls on the billboards convinved me!). You can read that story here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85477

I had True automatically auto-debit every month from my Bangkok Bank account. I cancelled True by going to their office - no written confirmation was given,but sure enuff, they cut the line on the agreed date.

BUT; they apparetly forgot to tell the accounting dept. cause a few days ago I received the invoice for the coming month... :D . Oh. well; I called True, and they said "no worry - don't have to pay".

Naturally I still "worried" as the auto debit function probably would pay them as long as the kept sending invoices.... :o She then said to go to bank and arrange "stop-payment". Ok, made sense; they had f..... up, but I could cut them of at the pass! Jihaa!

Went to Bangkok Bank - and here comes the shocker; they needed confirmation from True (some form or something) to stop the payment! Eh.... huh? It is MY account and MY money and I any payments out have to be authorized BY ME ONLY. I have signed the auto debit form and should naturally also be able to be the one to cancel it! :D

The bank then send me BACK to True, where after waiting, they told me; "no worry - don't have to pay". - I explained them WHY I still worried....

They could not figure out to issue any form/confirmation as that was apparently not usual procedure.

The final, high-tech solution: until they stop charging me (they are guessing 1-2 months) I have to go to True with the invoice and updated bank book (imagine the hassle) and they will refund my money each month!

Impressive.... 2 of the biggest companies in Thailand BOTH making f...-ups (True should not charge after cancelled internet and BKK Bank should just let me stop-payment) and one wonder why they fear foreign competition... :D

Cheers!

I switched from True to Buddy (yeah, those cute girls on the billboards convinved me!). You can read that story here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85477

I had True automatically auto-debit every month from my Bangkok Bank account. I cancelled True by going to their office - no written confirmation was given,but sure enuff, they cut the line on the agreed date.

BUT; they apparetly forgot to tell the accounting dept. cause a few days ago I received the invoice for the coming month... :D . Oh. well; I called True, and they said "no worry - don't have to pay".

Naturally I still "worried" as the auto debit function probably would pay them as long as the kept sending invoices.... :o She then said to go to bank and arrange "stop-payment". Ok, made sense; they had f..... up, but I could cut them of at the pass! Jihaa!

Went to Bangkok Bank - and here comes the shocker; they needed confirmation from True (some form or something) to stop the payment! Eh.... huh? It is MY account and MY money and I any payments out have to be authorized BY ME ONLY. I have signed the auto debit form and should naturally also be able to be the one to cancel it! :D

The bank then send me BACK to True, where after waiting, they told me; "no worry - don't have to pay". - I explained them WHY I still worried....

They could not figure out to issue any form/confirmation as that was apparently not usual procedure.

The final, high-tech solution: until they stop charging me (they are guessing 1-2 months) I have to go to True with the invoice and updated bank book (imagine the hassle) and they will refund my money each month!

Impressive.... 2 of the biggest companies in Thailand BOTH making f...-ups (True should not charge after cancelled internet and BKK Bank should just let me stop-payment) and one wonder why they fear foreign competition... :D

Cheers!

Is it possible to link this post with the poll about the stall that reaped Siegfried while it was buying a rolex?

I think you posted there, did you?

Sting; can I buy a vowel? I don't get it. This belonged in the banking forum for sure. Cheers!

Cheers!

Is it possible to link this post with the poll about the stall that reaped Siegfried while it was buying a rolex?

I think you posted there, did you?

Good idea Lop! But they probably would not let me do that before I prove that I have cancelled all the automatic debits on my account which I can't as the suppliers (True/TOT/Electricity company Etc.) does not give me a form when I cancel... I am caught forever! :o And they can KEEP pumping me dry for money until account empty (ah! I pull it all out and see what happens!

Could be fun, but will not look good on my account history when applying for credit card Etc. - oh well...

Just be careful with the auto-debit agreements and BKK Bank. Cheers!

Good idea Lop! But they probably would not let me do that before I prove that I have cancelled all the automatic debits on my account which I can't as the suppliers (True/TOT/Electricity company Etc.) does not give me a form when I cancel... I am caught forever! :o And they can KEEP pumping me dry for money until account empty (ah! I pull it all out and see what happens!

Could be fun, but will not look good on my account history when applying for credit card Etc. - oh well...

Just be careful with the auto-debit agreements and BKK Bank. Cheers!

Bumber but if your not always in country you kinda have no choice. I agree with Lop on this one. It is just a pain in the butt to have to go through setting up a new account and setting up all the auto debits all over again.

Kinda of strange that the payee sets up auto debit with the bank in some cases but that is how it is. Bank of Ayudaya is similar in this respect. Not something I will ever be comfortable with.

In some cases (at least with bank of Ayudaya) the payor must authorize the payment instead of the payee and in even other cases you can not setup auto bill pay for a common utility payment.

Is all I can figure is that if the payee does not bank with the payor bank than no auto bill pay is available but I am not even sure on this.

Anyone know why the Thai banks do what they do in the different scenarios?...other than because they can.