Chiang Mai province urges villagers to wear indigenous costumes during Songkran festival

webfact

Chiang Mai province urges villagers to wear indigenous costumes during Songkran festival

CHIANG MAI, 12 April 2016 (NNT) — Chiang Mai province has launched a cultural promotion campaign during Songkran festival by inviting local villagers to wear indigenous costumes and use native dialects on daily basis as part of celebrations for the northern province's 720th anniversary.

Chiang Mai provincial governor Pavin Chamniprasat disclosed that the cultural promotion campaign will be held from April 13-15, 2016 when a large number of tourists, both Thai and foreign, are expected to visit the province.

Chiang Mai province will celebrate its 720th anniversary on April 12, 2016 and throughout the year to express the local people's unique identity, way of life and beautiful culture during Songkran festival.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-12 footer_n.gif

Yes, I think those colourful Lanna outfits coupled with a high pressure hose and a pick up with an oil drum of iced, coloured water would make an excellent snapshot of true Thai culture.

Edited by Chicog

Dang, I was sure I'd find a link for the whole story that might give some examples, but after looking carefully I couldn't find one. Still I tried the link to the gov't news service to be sure, but it just went to their home page. Oh well.

Is this the type of costume they'd be encouraged to wear in Chiang Mai? If so, I don't think those bare shoulders will meet the government's prudence standards. Also, are women still allowed to show that much leg? This is what's typically shown when searching " Thai indigenous costume".

r012.jpg

This is what I see for " Chiang Mai indigenous costume"

5e55d8175df2159db90fb1f60047cf1e.jpg

Now that's more like it -- nicely covered almost everywhere.

Edited by Inn Between

^^

Try searching for historical photographs.

They're a bit different to the modern dress-up images you found and posted.

One of the problems with Thai culture and tradition, is that it was all rewritten in the 1930s to reflect the Victorian tastes of General Phibun. Most of the real Thai history books are banned in Thailand too. Essentially there is no Thai culture and tradition, just a series of fairy tales made up by a succession of post WW1 Thai Generals and their hiso sycophants.

Edited by BritManToo