Applying for my son's first British Passport

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm going to apply for my son's 1st. U.K. passport in the next couple of weeks.I am currently married to my Thai wife and our son is 13 years old.

I am resident in the U.K. but am over here at the moment.

I think I've got all the relevant paperwork required ,but have one question for you guys.

I seem to remember reading in a related post some time ago that the person who fills in the passport application form ( OS ) must be resident in Thailand.

However,nowhere on the form or the 'guidance notes' does it state this.

I would appreciate any opinions on this,as someone out there must have been through the same procedure.

Thanking you in advance.

You need to be in Thailand to make the application

Presume your son is born in Thailand and your name is on the Thai Birth Certificate?

Presume, too, you have : Quote:

Consular birth registration is an optional service and is only available to those born overseas who have an automatic entitlement to British Nationality at birth. There is no legal requirement for a consular birth registration and a local birth certificate with a certified translation if necessary should be sufficient for all purposes in the UK including applying for a passport.

But presumably you applied for a certificate before the recent changes?

You do sort of need residency, you need something that proves your address in Thailand that is then translated into English and certified - Driving Licence, Yellow Book, Hotel registration etc. The translation can be done at the ground floor of Trendy Building where you apply for the passport.

Get a residence certificate from immigration if possible and get this translated, you will need to apply in person in Bangkok.

You can authourise a nominee to collect the passport at a later date but it will be easier if you collect it yourself.

Good luck, it is all a bit of a PIA!

The residing in Thailand applies to the applicant in this instance your son who will be registered on Tabien bahn.

You do not have to be living here,I have just obtained a first passport for my daughter via VFS at the trendy building Bangkok.

Apply in the UK, it's cheaper.

46gbp for a child I believe.

That might be a bit difficult since it is the first passport. I think the child would need to be in the UK to do it there.

How would they know where the child was?

It's only a bit of form filling.

Apply in the UK, it's cheaper.

46gbp for a child I believe.

That might be a bit difficult since it is the first passport. I think the child would need to be in the UK to do it there.

How would they know where the child was?

It's only a bit of form filling.

Are you advocating that a passport application be forged or falsely completed !

If so that is about the worst piece of advice I have ever read on TVF and could result in the denial of a passport and a total ban on entering the UK.

Security checks associated with the issue of passports are now very sophisticated.

Sorry, not sure I understand you, a UK citizen had the right to enter the UK and the right to have a UK passport.

As far as I know a UK citizen can't be banned from entering the UK, ever.

Can't see on the application form where it specifies they need the applicants geographic location to issue a passport.

Mothers documents, fathers documents, child's birth certificate ..... no proof of location required.

Photo of child, signature of someone to certify they have known the parent applying on behalf of child.

Signature of someone to certify the photo is a true likeness of the child.

Address to send the passport.

Maybe I'm reading the application form wrong?

What is it you think I am advocating forging?

Edited by BritManToo

Sorry, not sure I understand you, a UK citizen had the right to enter the UK and the right to have a UK passport.

As far as I know a UK citizen can't be banned from entering the UK, ever.

Can't see on the application form where it specifies they need the applicants geographic location to issue a passport.

Mothers documents, fathers documents, child's birth certificate ..... no proof of location required.

Photo of child, signature of someone to certify they have known the parent applying on behalf of child.

Signature of someone to certify the photo is a true likeness of the child.

Address to send the passport.

Maybe I'm reading the application form wrong?

What is it you think I am advocating forging?

"How would they know where the child was?

It's only a bit of form filling."

You wrote the above which suggests you believe it does not matter what is entered on a form.

So go ahead and do as you please.

this small extract is from the application information ,

4.Check the guidance notes to find out which supporting documents you must send with your application. You must get documents that aren’t in English - including documents showing an address - fully translated by a professional translator.

• 2 years later...
46 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Regarding documents for a childs first British passport.

A copy of existing passports need to be sent. This refers to the Thai passport.

It contains 66 pages. - only 2 used.  Do I need to copy -in colour -every page?

I have now found the answer to my question.

Remember if you’re a dual national, you must send a colour photocopy of your non-UK passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application. You may be asked to show your non-UK passport at a later date.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-applications-supporting-documents-guidance

Wish they would explain why!