If your under 50yo are you wasting time in Thailand?

georgegeorgia

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm really facing the same question.

The only difference is that I keep the same job in Thailand or in Europe (remote work on Europe timezone ...) and I can save around 4000$/month in Thailand as well.

Would you stay in Thailand in that case ?

Edited by djmanu

Hi,

The only difference is that I keep the same job in Thailand or in Europe (remote work on Europe timezone ...) and I can save around 4000$/month in Thailand as well.

Any work undertaken in Thailand requires an appropriate visa and work permit which are not available to 'remote workers) AKA 'digital nomads'

Earn the big money legally in Europe !

Hi,

Any work undertaken in Thailand requires an appropriate visa and work permit which are not available to 'remote workers) AKA 'digital nomads'

Earn the big money legally in Europe !

Don't worry, if I stay I will buy the elite visa or create a local company.

I'm not working illegally, the work I do is in another country, it's not like I was taking jobs from Thai people ... , it's accepted in the US for instance under tourist visa ...

Edited by djmanu

Writing as someone who's 25 living in Pattaya

The market for young people in the UK looks pittifuly bleak these days, in my experiance baby boomers have no clue about melenials experiences.

Things like a job for life, company benefifs, buy to let property (even owning your own house) are pretty much out of reach even if you work for a couple of decades.

The other worrying thing is high and professions such as a pilot or a doctor actually now pay less compared to some blue collar jobs when you factor in the cost of education and lost earnings.

My advice for young people, if you have any sort of inheritance or savings you come to aquire, invest it to give yourself at least 75'000 a month income, come and live in Thailand or somewhere with less problematic visa requirements

From what i read here, many of the guys that came here at 40+y.o and are stable, at least had real estate, other assets or real estate to fall back on.

The smart ones first wait to see if they can make a go of Thai life before making financial decisions

My point is, if you want to check out of western life you must have something behind you.

Wanting to be here fulltime whilest on the seat of your pants, 20-30 y.o, with limited funds and no appreciating assets or income stream is beyond irresponsible

... its just stupidity

The OP talks about gaols and good on him. He is a good example of the right way to go about it.

The only thing i would advise against is buying a business in Thailand. Just to much risk and hard to turn a $.

Shares are not much better either.

Considering you are in Aus where you can get 3.5% interest now on savings (and rates must soon rise)

its money safely in the bank and greatly outweighs a business or shares IMO

If you hasslefree life in LOS the last thing you need is to worry about market chrashes or failed business putting you back where you started.

Are you being serious ?

You are going back to be................. a security guard !

I can see your career ambitions.

Did you have to go to any specific university to get the necessary qualifications ?

what does is matter? he is saving 4,000 Oz-Dollars a month and that counts!

where can i sign up for a security job , live and have 4000 left.

Writing as someone who's 25 living in Pattaya

The market for young people in the UK looks pittifuly bleak these days, in my experiance baby boomers have no clue about melenials experiences.

Things like a job for life, company benefifs, buy to let property (even owning your own house) are pretty much out of reach even if you work for a couple of decades.

The other worrying thing is high and professions such as a pilot or a doctor actually now pay less compared to some blue collar jobs when you factor in the cost of education and lost earnings.

My advice for young people, if you have any sort of inheritance or savings you come to aquire, invest it to give yourself at least 75'000 a month income, come and live in Thailand or somewhere with less problematic visa requirements

Some good points here. My wife and I both earned good money back home, but the idea of buying a home or even saving for the future was pretty much out of reach for us, so it must be for a great many people. We were both still trying to clear the debts accrued from education and the early, low-paid years of our careers, a good ten years after our student days ended.

The lower cost of living here means that even on a more modest income, we're able to clear our debts and save for the future. To be honest, I wish we'd wasted less time treading water in London when we could have been both moving forwards and living a more enjoyable lifestyle here.

I think the OP has raised a very important topic, irrespective of whether you agree with him or not.

Some people under 50 using Thailand as a base are making money online, and for some making as much money online as they would back in their home country. The advantage of being in Thailand (unless you are from the US) is that you are not subject to home country taxation ... specifically income tax on overseas interest, income and capital gains, as long as you stay away for 5 tax years (UK is complicated). For some, the saving in tax can easily fund the living expenses in Thailand. I believe that in the US you are taxed on worldwide income so it might be less of an advantage. So for some, it makes sense.

However, if you are employed in Thailand and just earning enough to get by without any substantial savings then the OP makes a fair point. Thailand is a great place to be if you are fit and healthy, but i would not like to grow old here or be here whilst experiencing ill health. Or live here as my funds start to run dry. I would feel a great deal more vulnerable than in my home country. So eventually, I will be going home, free of any home tax liability.

Interesting topic for debate though.

Would sooner be old and low on money in Thailand.

Than old low on money in the Uk. F---===- That.

i would join the base jumping club of pattaya, over old age and bad health in the Uk !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather have planned and worked a little harder than consider a balcony jump.

By the way, don't use "BASE jumping" as a euphemism for life failure.

You have another Chang in Pats and think about it.

Seems to me that whatever your age is that things can become problematic if your earnings stop or do not increase over time. If you are under 50 or once again any age and can somehow make more than what you currently have you are at least holding serve. Living in Thailand and being under 50 if you are earning a bit is favorable to living on a pension and watching inflation exchange rates eat up what you have left.

The whole premise of the thread is that nobody under 50 could be here doing anything productive.

i would join the base jumping club of pattaya, over old age and bad health in the Uk !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather have planned and worked a little harder than consider a balcony jump.

We all know what assumption is !!!!!!.

As for using base jumping, up to me , you don't make the rules round here.

And thank you for the childish alcohol comments.

i have planned very well, and worked very hard, that's how i retired in my very early 50's !!!!!!

with loads of free time now to do what i like, Golf, Beer/Red wine, Ladies and few others i don't care to mention.

but im smart enough to know, you cant cover every base in life, bad things can happen to your long term plans

that are not necessarily 100% under your control.

You have a nice hard day at work. cheesy.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I am 37 and here on an ex-pat package for a MNC. I have been here 2 years and my contract is up next month. I will be moving back to the USA for a while and see how it goes. I am not willing to make a jump in my career yet and leave my company to move here permanently. If my company wanted to hire me on permanently here I would stay, but unfortunately business here is not doing well. Realistically I think making that move in 5 years makes more sense to me. But who knows, I may be bored out of my mind in USA after a month and change my mind. Only time will tell.

i have planned very well, and worked very hard, that's how i retired in my very early 50's !!!!!!

with loads of free time now to do what i like, Golf, Beer/Red wine, Ladies and few others i don't care to mention.

but im smart enough to know, you cant cover every base in life, bad things can happen to your long term plans

"...golf, beer, wine, ladies..." That's great mate, I'm happy for ya.

I retired at 45. Beer, wine, hot wife, international travel every month, securities, properties, cash. I'm happy also mate.

Bottom line; if you're under 50 here without an offshore investment or working and not saving, then it's in your best interests to head home.

No hard work for me Mr Chang, smart planning.

"...golf, beer, wine, ladies..." That's great mate, I'm happy for ya.

I retired at 45. Beer, wine, hot wife, international travel every month, securities, properties, cash. I'm happy also mate.

Bottom line; if you're under 50 here without an offshore investment or working and not saving, then it's in your best interests to head home.

No hard work for me Mr Chang, smart planning.

Ha Ha

Pull the other one mate, its got changs on it.coffee1.gif

I think the future will be people will choose when to die, rather than die through illness, which can be a horrible death instead use a "euthanasia kit" a women used one recently because she had "lost her sparkle" . What this means is you can pick an age when to go, maybe before money runs out. Using a kit or being able to check yourself in to a clinic has got to beat throwing yourself off a condo. If you decided you were to go say 85 you can plan around that.

I think the future will be people will choose when to die, rather than die through illness, which can be a horrible death instead use a "euthanasia kit" a women used one recently because she had "lost her sparkle" . What this means is you can pick an age when to go, maybe before money runs out. Using a kit or being able to check yourself in to a clinic has got to beat throwing yourself off a condo. If you decided you were to go say 85 you can plan around that.

All a bit off topic, but yes i would welcome that.

After watching my father die of Alzheimer disease last year and now my mother having the same.

its just not right, old age like that, not for me. wai2.gif

• 1 year later...

I have seen middle aged men in their peak earning years come to Thailand with a pocket full of money. They waste those earning years thinking that everything will work out. Finally those earning years have passed. Those formerly optimistic men are broke. Some don't have enough money to return to their home countries. Now there is no hope and no future for these old guys trying to find a decent paying job even if they manage to get back to their home countries. Young guys should be trying to build a pension AND saving as much money as possible.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

I have seen middle aged men in their peak earning years come to Thailand with a pocket full of money. They waste those earning years thinking that everything will work out. Finally those earning years have passed

The middle aged guys don't worry me as much.  They have enough life experience to know how far their paycheck goes and what things cost when you add it all up.

To me, it's the kids who have never had a real job or paid rent and for food in the same month, thinking that a Thai teaching salary will carry then through to retire in the lap of luxury in that paradise they visited once or twice between semesters.  Until you've run out of month before you run out of money a few times, a small salary looks like a lot of money, especially in a developing country.

I know I had a rude awakening in spite of the fact I came out of college making 50% more than most of my classmates because of a fluke in my career choice.  It took years to dig out of it.

Edited by impulse

I am under 50 and was earning good money in London working as an IT contractor in the city (about 500,000 baht a month) up until a couple of years ago, however I felt once I had met my personal financial targets to secure my future which was mostly was to pay off the mortgages on my London BTL properties, and enough money to get me started in LOS (buy a mid range condo, used car and about 1Million baht rainy day money) I felt I was wasting my time working 60 hour weeks, traveling every weekday standing up on a packed train 30 minutes each way in total misery just to get a higher bank account.

Now in Thailand I can wake up when I want, go to the gym when I want for as long as I want, spend as much time being productive or lazy as I want. Go to bed when I want.

You won't find me sitting Expat bar's much though, I have hobbies and interests away from bars, and Thai friends as well as farang's.

My 1.4 million baht condo here is a similar size to the one I used to live in back in London in a pretty average suburb it is now worth over 14 million baht, still own it, it rents for about 50K baht a month net after UK tax, expenses and agency fee's have been paid.

With my other 2 London units my income is over twice my outgoings living here (even after Brexit) so why would I waste my time living and working in an overcrowded western city until I was 50 if I didn't have a financial need to do so, to me that would be a waste of my time, after all you only live once!

On 2016-4-13 at 10:43 AM, BritManToo said:

It depends on how long you are betting you will live.

If you are going to die of cancer at age 50, you should be living in Thailand now.

Life in Australia as a night security guard.

Is that even counting as life?

It depends, the OP said "working as a security guard at night", does that mean a bouncer at the clubs/bars? My mate who used to work as a bouncer said it's the easiest ways to get pussy and girls throw themselves at the bouncers all the time. No real need for Pattaya when you are a bouncer lol. But then again he was in his 20's and buffed up big time, not in his 40's.

Edited by bbi1

On 2016-4-13 at 10:50 AM, JDGRUEN said:

Every month I watch young folks Fold their Guesthouse, Bar, Tour Company -- pack up and go home...

Living long term in Thailand while under age 50 requires some deep thought and practice in just how you are going to create that 'nest egg' for older age.. It is much harder to do here (for most people) than it is back home...

Anyone who gets a bright idea to own a business like that in Thailand is a complete fool....nuff said

On 2016-4-14 at 4:02 AM, Oceanbat said:

Anyone wonder how a security guard can save 4K per month? Or even earn that?

OB

You obviously have no idea how much cash bouncers actually can make, and it's usually cash in hand so they most likely skip paying a lot of tax.

On 4/13/2016 at 7:51 AM, kenk24 said:

Life is a slide rule of choices - - places and finances always are factors... living on the cheap in Pattaya does not sound like fun... so, going back to work for you is a reasonable choice... for others it may not be... plenty of choices. We are all different. I hope this choice works well for you... good luck.

Speaking as one not spending a lot at the moment. Just hotel and food, occasional movie and drink on Walking St, I'd be happy to live like this rest of my life. However, if I wanted a woman every night, I wouldn't be happy at all, as my money wouldn't last long at all.

It all goes back to what the individual wants. There is no such beast as an average Pattaya expat.

11 hours ago, Gary A said:

I have seen middle aged men in their peak earning years come to Thailand with a pocket full of money. They waste those earning years thinking that everything will work out. Finally those earning years have passed. Those formerly optimistic men are broke. Some don't have enough money to return to their home countries. Now there is no hope and no future for these old guys trying to find a decent paying job even if they manage to get back to their home countries. Young guys should be trying to build a pension AND saving as much money as possible.

How does anyone that can't pay for a ticket home afford to get an extension? Overstaying only lasts till one has to show a passport.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How does anyone that can't pay for a ticket home afford to get an extension? Overstaying only lasts till one has to show a passport.

Um, a ticket home would cost 15,000-20,000 baht & a extension costs 1.900 baht. By my calculations an extension could be as little as roughly 1/10th of a ticket home so someone who can't afford a ticket home could afford an extension.