Tarit ordained as Buddhist monk

webfact

Tarit ordained as Buddhist monk

213_Tarit-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Tarit Phengdit has quietly entered monkhood at a temple in his home province of Uthai Thani.

The ordination ceremony at Wat Thasung was witnessed by former prime minister Somchai Wongsawasdi, family members and a number of his former colleagues and friends.

Mr Tarit was given a Buddhism name as “Phra Suthammachinvaro” which is translated as the superb winner.

He said after the ordination that he would stay in monkhood until April 22.

He entered monkhood as a merit making for his passed away parents.

Mr Tarit is facing probe by the National Anti Corruption Commission for unusual wealth after he could not produce evidences to prove the 346 million baht assets he and his family own.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159402

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-13

The ordination ceremony at Wat Thasung was witnessed by former prime minister Somchai Wongsawasdi, family members and a number of his former colleagues and friends.

No doubt at all who Tarit's friends are. Good old Somchai has Thaksin proxy tattooed on his forehead.

Remain in the ' monkhood ' until April 22, so in it for the long haul.

Suthep, now Tarit so what chance Chalerm will get religion and complete the box set ? cheesy.gif

Seems like the long haul, thought just over Songkran would be sufficient - then out for the weekends fun, but a whole 9 days, wow! he will be squeaky clean.

Good thing about this , is that it keeps all the criminals together

Suthep has done nothing to make him a criminal. To most of us he is a brave hero who overthrew a corrupt government. He is still very popular with most Thais. But I guess you just can't accept the facts.

Suthep has done nothing to make him a criminal. To most of us he is a brave hero who overthrew a corrupt government. He is still very popular with most Thais. But I guess you just can't accept the facts.

Short memories, or wilfully ignorant?

After 50 years here , I am sure I am far less ignorant of Thai politics than you. I personally know 3 ex pms and am on first names with them. My closest friend gave Suthep 500k for his campaign. I could go on.....

After 50 years here , I am sure I am far less ignorant of Thai politics than you. I personally know 3 ex pms and am on first names with them. My closest friend gave Suthep 500k for his campaign. I could go on.....

So what? None of your fanciful boasting proves your assertion that "Suthep has done nothing to make him a criminal."

As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 land reform scheme in the mid-1990s, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Ironically, the ensuing political storm swept Thaksin into politics. He escaped prosecution because of his political connections, bribery, and paying protesters to march in the streets of Bangkok.

In 2010, when Suthep was deputy prime minister under a Democrat government, he signed an order that authorised the military to disperse Thaksin's "Red Shirt" protesters who had occupied a large section of downtown Bangkok. The eight-week protests and crackdown left more than 90 people dead and about 1,800 injured.

In 2011 when he was National Palm Oil Policy Committee Chairman, he helped orchestrate a phoney shortage of the commodity to force up prices more than 50%. He and his family made a fortune from the increase in price, as they are major players in the palm oil industry and huge landowners. He also pocketed kickbacks from other major producers in the South who are said to have pocketed at least 4-5 billion baht as a result of the shortage.

I could go on...

Even the U.S. diplomatic cables written by U.S. Ambassador Eric G. John, leaked as part of the WikiLeaks Cablegate database, state, “Several Democrats have privately complained to us that he engages in corrupt and unethical behavior," and "While Abhisit appears publicly as an ethical intellectual, Suthep serves as the party's backroom dealmaker."

Don’t get me wrong, I am in no way a supporter of Thaksin and his puppet-sister—contrary to popular belief, politics in Thailand (nay, anywhere) is not an ‘either/or’ proposition—but Suthep is most certainly not the hero some people make him out to be.

... the superb winner.

But what has he won?

Defenitely not being a monk these 1-3 week are nothing but a stunt Thais embark upon when they are in hotwater over some shenegans they have pulled.

A former technician who worked with me entered the Monkhood and I mean entered till dead does him part. He stays in contact with me messaging me in which he tells me which temple he is for a 2-3 months learning as the student with renown monk and then moves on to another temple with a renowned teaching monk. That is Monkhood. Not these 1-3 week stunt.

Always interesting to read how farang and tourists are fooled with what goes on in Thai Buddhism. Thai Theravada Buddhism originated from Ceylon now going by the name of Srilanka. Monks from western countries on average cannot handle the Thai type for more than 5-year many of them less after which they depart for Ceylon were females also can be monks which is an absolute taboo in Thailand just to mention one item, there are others.

It is quite common out here in rural Thailand for a son to enter the monkhood for a short period of time in respect of a parents death.

It is usually for a month after which most of them leave to return to the normal world. There are a few who decide to stay for years.

Almost none of them are criminals and they do it to honour their families.

Just because some well known law breakers do the same thing does not make the whole concept wrong.