Thai National owning Foreign Freehold

I am completely ignorant of this market, so I have to ask, how can anyone have a freehold on a unit in a condo building? Surely the freehold is owned by the landowner?

Normally the building owns the land, and the co-owners own a proportion of the building including their particular unit.

I would not want to buy a condo in a building that did not own the land it sits on.

How is this verified? Per your statements prior, would you ask for some documentation and not simply a chat with the jpm?

I am completely ignorant of this market, so I have to ask, how can anyone have a freehold on a unit in a condo building? Surely the freehold is owned by the landowner?

Normally the building owns the land, and the co-owners own a proportion of the building including their particular unit.

I would not want to buy a condo in a building that did not own the land it sits on.

How is this verified? Per your statements prior, would you ask for some documentation and not simply a chat with the jpm?

My sales and purchase agreement contract contained copies of the chanote title deeds for the land on which the condo was built. These chanote title deeds had identification numbers and could have been verified with the Land Office although I did not undertake this verification. My understanding is that you or a legal representative can go to the Land Office and ask to see the original chanote title deed(s) for the land upon which the condo is located. Of particular interest in looking at the chanote title deed would be the reverse side which would list any outstanding liens against the property such as a bank mortgage.

At some point prior to the registration of my condo unit, the chanote title deeds were consolidated by the Land Office and individual condo title deeds were drawn up. In my particular case my condo unit had been mortgaged by the developer to a bank. When I went to register my condo unit at the Land Office I was given a chanote condo unit title deed. On the reverse side it listed the mortgage for my condo unit. I gave a cashier's check made out to the bank holding the mortgage and a second cashier's check made out to the developer for the balance of the agreed upon price as stated in the sales and purchase agreement. The mortgage on my unit was thus discharged and the reverse of my chanote title deed was updated to reflect that fact. The reverse of the chanote title deed was also updated to show the transfer of the unit from the developer to myself. I was given an original chanote unit title deed and I understand the Land Office retains an original as well. Later I received a blue tabian bahn (house registration book) for my condo unit. I also received a copy of the sales and purchase agreement drawn up at the Land Office for my purchase.