Baht bus parking to be limited in S. Pattaya

Rimmer

Baht bus parking to be limited in S. Pattaya

n3bus.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya officials, police and representatives of the local Baht Bus Cooperative agreed to limit the number of pickup truck taxis waiting outside Pattaya School No. 8 and Walking Street to reduce traffic congestion.

City Councilman Anupong Bhudanawarut led the delegation of public officials, police and transport executives to the northbound Second Road parking queue April 3, finding the usual long queue of baht buses taking up traffic lanes and causing backups.

Agreement was made to limit the number of baht buses waiting in the area, although the exact number was not disclosed.

Following a similar inspection at the South Road entrance of Walking Street, city officials and police said new curb painting would be done, clearly showing no parking and limited stopping areas, with no more than eight baht buses allowed to park at one time.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/baht-bus-parking-to-be-limited-in-s-pattaya-57555#sthash.SVxNjEJX.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-04-15 footer_n.gif

Well it's a teeny, tiny start, I guess, but they really need to limit the BIG buses parking on all the city streets and making the streets so hard to negotiate and blocking sightlines. And, limit the roads they are allowed on, too.

"and police said new curb painting would be done, clearly showing no parking and limited stopping areas"

Yes, this will work, it was a great success on beach road showing the BB where they could stop. Ya gotta love them havn't you, so naive !!

So the '-Pattaya officials, police' failed to notice the the permanently parked camper van outside Pizza Company next to the Royal Garden Mall (been there 5 years to my knowledge) and the double parked m/c's for rent either side of the side streets.... and the hundreds along beach road. TIT.

Will the success be on a par with that of getting the baht buses to only stop at particular positions on the Beach Rd.... which was zero.

The only place they do not stop is at the pedestrian crossings!

Well it's a teeny, tiny start, I guess, but they really need to limit the BIG buses parking on all the city streets and making the streets so hard to negotiate and blocking sightlines. And, limit the roads they are allowed on, too.

I believe the explosion in bus numbers has something to do with the Powers That Might Not Be after their time is up. They have zero interest in tightening restrictions on their mobile cash cows at present.

Time for Pattaya to get mass transit which could do well in keeping the large busses off beach and second road as well as reducing the number of baht buses clogging the roads. A simple line down beach road and back up second road with a massive parking lot somewhere in north Pattaya to park and ride.

Many large European cities have done a tremendous service to their populations in how they regulate downtown traffic, Pattaya would be a lot more tourist friendly if they headed this direction.

Taking care of symptoms, that's what Thai governments are good at.

The real problem: the huge amount of useless and empty baht-buses remains.

Understandably, because reducing the amount of baht-buses will reduce income of some hi-pro government official.

Understandably, because reducing the amount of baht-buses will reduce income of some hi-pro government official.

I understand the need for baht buses and big buses (and delivery trucks and services) to be traveling along 2nd Road and Beach Road, afterall this is a tourist town and tourists need to get around.

What I don't understand is what all the rest of the traffic is doing there. Seriously, who travels along 2nd Road and Beach Road in private cars in the evenings? I'd say most normal people would avoid this area like the plague in the evenings.

I reckon a lot of the traffic is made up of "cruisers"... similar to what you used to see at Myrtle Beach, SC. They made laws against cruising and fined people who drove around the tourist circuit more than once.

I understand the need for baht buses and big buses (and delivery trucks and services) to be traveling along 2nd Road and Beach Road, afterall this is a tourist town and tourists need to get around.

What I don't understand is what all the rest of the traffic is doing there. Seriously, who travels along 2nd Road and Beach Road in private cars in the evenings? I'd say most normal people would avoid this area like the plague in the evenings.

I reckon a lot of the traffic is made up of "cruisers"... similar to what you used to see at Myrtle Beach, SC. They made laws against cruising and fined people who drove around the tourist circuit more than once.

Spotted one definite cruiser one evening as I imbibed at the counter outside the TQ on Beach. Punter rolls along and stops in front of Michelle's tailor shop next door, beckoning to a coconut bar girl who is shaking her head vehemently. Then someone wanted to move their bike so he crawled forward, stopping in front of the TQ and still waving at the girls but by this time they are all walking away. He was asked to move when Bob wanted to go home so he backs up a bit. Next thing, he turns on the hazard flashers, gets out and walks across the street to pursue his bed warmer of choice. Struck out again so got back in and crawled down opposite Hooters and tried the same sh!t there. Brand new orange Ranger WT with red plates and he was also obviously pretty sh!tfaced by his stumbling gait.

PS: I drive a white Ranger WT just to avoid any confusion.

PPS: So there was hookers for cruisers on the Myrtle Beach tourist route then? Maybe Pattaya aint so unique after all.

Edited by NanLaew

PPS: So there was hookers for cruisers on the Myrtle Beach tourist route then? Maybe Pattaya aint so unique after all.

No, it was just kids going around and around the local circuit all night. It was interesting in that I've never heard of anti-cruising laws before, to cut back on congestion, and the cops sat in certain spots and recorded plate numbers, giving tickets to anyone who returned within a certain period of time. I was there just before the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996 for about a month.

No, it was just kids going around and around the local circuit all night. It was interesting in that I've never heard of anti-cruising laws before, to cut back on congestion, and the cops sat in certain spots and recorded plate numbers, giving tickets to anyone who returned within a certain period of time. I was there just before the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996 for about a month.

Oops! Wrong sort of cruiser. But I think you do have a point as the locals, between finishing work, watching their lagorns on television and going out for a nosebag, do tend to drive around with, as Chuck Berry sang, "No Particular Place To Go". Be it on their motorbikes, or the Bangkok plate crowd at weekends, there's a definite penchant to just drive in circles until tired or hungry.