Giving Baby Cows Milk

Alex2015

It says on the UK National Health Service website it is ok to give a baby Cows Milk after it is 1 year old Here in Thailand they still sell Formulae Milk for Babies older than 1 year.

1) DoesThailand have Dairy Farms or is the milk imported, i.e., frozen ?

2) is the milk sold in the shops Pasteurized ? I was brought up on Non Pasteurized milk, my Dad worked on a farm so part of his salary was free milk. It became Law in the UK in the seventies that all milk sold had to be Pasteurized. The Non Pasteurized never did me any harm though.

Many Asian babies are lactose intolerant, you haven't specified the racial background of baby.

Best not to give an Asian or half Asian baby cow milk until they can talk IMHO.

In CM I buy raw milk from the dairy opposite CM Zoo, 130bht for 5 liter.

But again, fairly risky for a young child.

Meiji and ChokChai farms appear to be real milk.

Dutch Mill and ForeMost appear to be at least partly made from imported milk powder.

(the reconstituted milks can't be foamed in an espresso machine)

Edited by BritManToo

All commercial brands of milk in stores is pasteurized. There are dairy farms in Thailand though I have no idea about quality nor if some brands are reconstituted as per above. I do know that ChokChai has it s own farms.

A huge amount of milk in Thailand is reconstituted from milk powder I have no idea where it comes from or what has been done to it. You have to be careful to find milk with NO added sugar. The only milk we use is Meiji with the dark blue bottle tops.If you are in CM or BKK you should be able to find fresh or frozen goat's milk which we found to be better. In the UK we used SMA. Don't know if you get it here.

Edited by laolover88

A huge amount of milk in Thailand is reconstituted from milk powder I have no idea where it comes from or what has been done to it. You have to be careful to find milk with NO added sugar. The only milk we use is Meiji with the dark blue bottle tops.If you are in CM or BKK you should be able to find fresh or frozen goat's milk which we found to be better. In the UK we used SMA. Don't know if you get it here.

There is a huge dairy industry in Thailand that produces milk from cows. 90%+ being "ready to drink" !

http://www.angrin.tlri.gov.tw/meeting/2013TaiTai/2013TaiTai03.pdf

There is a huge dairy industry in Thailand that produces milk from cows. 90%+ being "ready to drink" !

http://www.angrin.tlri.gov.tw/meeting/2013TaiTai/2013TaiTai03.pdf

And I thought they only grew rice and produced rubber, great info thanks.

To "Alex2015"

Lactose Intolerant ?

I started farming in 1960 as a young lad, been in it ever since. Milk straight from the cow at 4am, even in South America in the 1970's.

I am not lactose intolerant, my daughters were not BUT, the boy ( now 2 years ) of my eldest daughter twins was found to be lactose intolerant before he reached one year. He would suddenly collapse. His twin sister is fine.

My daughter - a vegetarian ( non meat / fish eater for many years ) - ate cheese or had yogurt and was passing this through her breast milk.

My daughter stopped all forms of animal products ( milk, cheese, yogurt ) as she wanted to continue breast feeding for as long as possible ( she still is ). Her son has no further problems but is still at risk from milk products in foods.

Labeling of products must be carefully read, look online if not sure. For example in Thailand Lactosoy Blue Label contains milk ( can't find it mentioned on label but found it online ). Lactosoy Red Label does NOT contain milk.

To try and reduce the serious effects of unknowingly eating products that may have milk e.g. some dried spaghetti / pasta have milk products in them the boy is being challenged with a minute amount of milk - this way he is less likely to go in to toxic shock if he eats something with lactose in it.

Thailand has some major dairy producers. So much milk that they have to give it away as promotions at school. Genetically Thai people do not tolerate cows milk very well, obesity is one sign of this. Another reason there is so much milk is that people now eat more beef, so there will always be excess milk.

I would expect you have tried all other milks such as goat, sheep, buffalo. Soy milk was available in the 1970's / 80" as a substitute for children who were intolerant to cows milk. Today's soy milk is probably not as good but is an option: childrens Health Clinics back in the old days would offer SoyMilk as an alternative.

There are some side effects from soy milk such as gas in the tummy - so watch out when changing nappies !

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT PRODUCTS THAT MAY HAVE COWS MILK AS A CONSTITUENT BUT DON'T PUT IT ON THE LABEL