Curry Leaf plant (Murraya koenigii or Bergera koenigii)

Konini

Hello everybody

This is my first excursion into the farming forum, and you might get all shouty because my question is not related to farming unless any of you are growing curry leaf trees.

I got a few saplings from a hotel on a stop over in Sri Lanka last July. They thought I was very odd, but I'd been everywhere and couldn't find anything. Anyway, I thought I'd done my usual kiss of death to them by taking them from the plastic carrier bag the chef had put them in and putting them in a suitably sized pot. They faded and withered but I watered them every morning then one day all of a sudden they started to look a bit less sick. And soon they were looking good, then they were looking healthy and now they seem to be thriving. 3 have survived, 1 biggish one (about 9 inches high and growing outwards) one a bit smaller and one a brand new baby one only an inch or so high. Earlier this week I repotted them into a bigger pot because I was afraid they were outgrowing the original. I gave them a good watering to settle them in, kept the out of direct sunlight for a few days until they'd had time to settle into their new home and even sprayed some water (very gently) on the leaves to mimic rain.

I have 2 questions. Firstly, and probably my fault the big one is on a bit of a lean - can I put a stick in to straighten him out without hurting him?

Secondly, they've been getting water every day for 10 months now but no food. Neither my husband or myself know a thing about gardening and I'm scared to do anything that's going to kill or upset them. They were potted then repotted using potting mix from leftover dead rosemary and parsley plants, first time with the clump of mud they'd been growing in but I think I ought to feed them after this long.

I know I can search on google but I don't know if what is recommended will be available in Thailand. And they're only babies, toddlers at most. I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

If anyone has curry leaf plants or trees or any knowledge about this kind of plant I really would appreciate some advice. They must be hungry by now.

Thank you in advance.

Curry is a very hardy tree, yes you can put a stick to straighten them out.

They do not really need the food but they cold benefit from some light cow manure application. (stay away from chemicals)

Hope you have a real garden to plant them in, nice trees, in the right soil they will grow fast, flower and produce edible yummy berries. (don't eat the seeds)

Not to mention the aromatic leaves good for endless cooking applications or just eaten raw with " spicy larb moo"

Best regards

Thank you for your very informative response. I'm in a condo for the time being, my babies will be probably be OK in progressively larger pots until we get sick of city living. We are in central Chiang Mai, don't think I would be able to get cow manure. I will be going back to England for a visit next month and may be able to get some kind of organic fertilizer or maybe it's possible to get powdered cow manure - I've seen small packets of Dynamic Lifter (chicken poo) for sale in Australia. I think the choice will be much better than I have here with the benefit that I will be able to read the label so I know what's in it but still don't know what to look for.

I'd never heard of eating the berries, I wanted the plant just for the leaves to use in Indian cooking. I love watering them because they give me a whiff of their scent in return. I'm currently watering it every day - it's very well drained and any excess water is far from the pot. Should I be watering them every day (bearing in mind that they are just babies).

Thanks again, your info has been very understandable for a non-gardener and very concise.

Curry is a very hardy tree, yes you can put a stick to straighten them out.

They do not really need the food but they cold benefit from some light cow manure application. (stay away from chemicals)

Hope you have a real garden to plant them in, nice trees, in the right soil they will grow fast, flower and produce edible yummy berries. (don't eat the seeds)

Not to mention the aromatic leaves good for endless cooking applications or just eaten raw with " spicy larb moo"

Best regards

We have one growing in a fairly large pot in the front garden. Had it for about 3 years and it produces enough leaves to supply our needs (family of three) and a bunch of friends.

It gets the Morning Sun, we keep it watered ... a little every day (evening) You'll probably find it produces more leaves than you can use, so you may want to harvest them and dry them thoroughly to keep in the pantry or hand-out to others who use them in cooking.I Must try the Berries.

Haven't given it any Plant Food to date.

Good luck!

Don't worry about the cow manure thing if you can't find any. A little fertiliser won't do any harm. Watering: it's about not allowing plants to die of thirst, close observation of the leaves will tell you when it needs water, it's so hot in Thailand that it is difficult to over water, in my experience.

Thank you both - can you tell me the name of a fertilizer I should buy (and if I just put in on top of the soil or have to dig it or water it in) please?

I really am clueless on gardening. This is the first thing I've ever had that hasn't died. I've tried but always failed. I get parsley and rosemary plants from a plant market nearby, they usually survive long enough for there to be very few leaves that I haven't used before they go - I strip any remaining leaves and as I can see it's time to buy another and either use immediately or freeze (many years of experience have taught me that the best way to freeze and still have the fresh taste is to stuff them into icecube trays, get them partly frozen so they aren't going to float and fill the tray with iced water. The leaves are soggy, but they're only going to be used in cooking so it doesn't matter.

Thank you both - can you tell me the name of a fertilizer I should buy (and if I just put in on top of the soil or have to dig it or water it in) please?

I really am clueless on gardening. This is the first thing I've ever had that hasn't died. I've tried but always failed. I get parsley and rosemary plants from a plant market nearby, they usually survive long enough for there to be very few leaves that I haven't used before they go - I strip any remaining leaves and as I can see it's time to buy another and either use immediately or freeze (many years of experience have taught me that the best way to freeze and still have the fresh taste is to stuff them into icecube trays, get them partly frozen so they aren't going to float and fill the tray with iced water. The leaves are soggy, but they're only going to be used in cooking so it doesn't matter.

In order to prevent you from over-applying; soak a minute quantity of whatever you end up getting (manure is still the best for your soil & trees) than apply it with your watering.

See how it goes for about a month than try again.

A popular fertilizer would be 15/15/15 with added micro nutrients or based on soil analysis you would add a specific formula based on whatever deficiency is discovered.

Berries from my garden for you.

post-14625-0-62781200-1460871717_thumb.j

That looks amazing, I had no idea they grew berries, I can't wait to get to that stage. I've just been out and watered them (Torrens said morning sun and evening watering - no morning sun but the last couple of hours in the afternoon before the sun goes down) and I swear those little babies have put about an inch on since I posted this on Saturday. Dumb question; is 15/15/15 the brand name of the fertilizer?

I can give them longer in the sun (don't want to burn them so I'm being cautious). Should I move them to the other end of the balcony where they would get sun from about midday?

Thanks again to everyone, you have no idea how proud I am of having kept them going for so long. Once it gets as big as yours, it might be worth getting a soil test done. I think you can get dried or liquid manure in very sturdy bottles in UK, I'm sure I heard dad talking about it once. Unless he was hoping it was going to be invented. We'll be there in a few weeks so I'll have a poke around some garden centres.

I will be going back to England for a visit next month and may be able to get some kind of organic fertilizer

Really no need to wait until you go back to England. HomePro has a selection of organic fertilisers in its (albeit modest) gardening section. (In fact, it's much easier to find organic fertilisers than chemical ones in my experience. The big supermarkets stock them, too. After trying half a dozen places I ended up in Thai Watsadu looking for chemical lawn fertiliser.)

That looks amazing, I had no idea they grew berries, I can't wait to get to that stage. I've just been out and watered them (Torrens said morning sun and evening watering - no morning sun but the last couple of hours in the afternoon before the sun goes down) and I swear those little babies have put about an inch on since I posted this on Saturday. Dumb question; is 15/15/15 the brand name of the fertilizer? It is the content %, (Nitrogen/Phosphorous/Potassium); endless brands available. 1 KG should last you a year or more; chemical fertilizer, it will kill your tree if over applied.

I can give them longer in the sun (don't want to burn them so I'm being cautious). Should I move them to the other end of the balcony where they would get sun from about midday? If your pots are large enough to maintain moisture; gradually let them get used to all day sun and leave them there, they will prosper.

Thanks again to everyone, you have no idea how proud I am of having kept them going for so long. Once it gets as big as yours, it might be worth getting a soil test done. I think you can get dried or liquid manure in very sturdy bottles in UK, I'm sure I heard dad talking about it once. Unless he was hoping it was going to be invented. We'll be there in a few weeks so I'll have a poke around some garden centres. Drive around, find a dairy farmer; they will sell you a manure sack (50kg volume) for 20-40 baht.

Good luck!