Five days of Songkran celebrations claim 338 deaths, 2,891 injuries

rooster59

I am going to contradict you. Thailand is officially ranked as No. 2 in the world when it comes to road fatalities in the world. So when you are talking about Buddha taking care of them is a pure gibberish! Whatever you stated about the lack of safety, it dearly costs them even if you don't see it. Even if someone is killed nearby your neighbourhood on the road, you might not know it... But it happens.

A few months ago near my village a horrific accident happened that took 6 lives. Believe it or not, very few who knew afterwards. When I was mentioning this accident to my Thai fellows, they had no idea even after a a couple of days. This shows Thais don't care what is happening around them and live in their narrow world.

Gibberish maybe. 30-40 years ago here when public transport consisted mostly of Tuk Tuks, Song Tows, 'supa loos' and Buses, almost all the drivers drove with their upper bodies twisted ninety degrees in their seats with one shoulder dropped low so Buddha could look over their shoulder. It was a very common practice. Don't see this much any more. Probably up country maybe. The Tuk Tuk drivers were bloody crazy then. So I guess it is just a natural progression. Thailand's move into the affluent 20th and 21st Centuries in such a short time was always going to have consequences.

A previous poster mentioned Australia's long running 'successful' Road Safety Campaign. A campaign which effectively commenced in 1970-71 with the introduction of Random Breath Testing in Victoria. The campaign has been going on for generations and it will be never ending, it will continue as a work in progress. It is mostly about changing attitudes. E.G. once upon a time it was considered a 'badge of honour' to drive home paralytic, literally fall out of the car, and not remember the trip the next morning! Now you are told, publicly, 'if you drink and drive you're a bloody idiot!'

Governments can only so so much. You can't legislate against stupidity. Public attitudes have to change. Road safety needs to become a society issue and not just a government and law enforcement problem. It must become 'socially unacceptable' to drive drunk or drive irresponsibly. Kreng Jai must extend to driving motor vehicles and sharing the country's roads in a safe and civilised manner.

It will take time. Generations even. Changing attitudes is the most difficult of all things human. Perhaps seeing as the Thais have adopted much of Australia's anti tobacco methods they could start looking at our methods of dealing with road safety issues. Whilst not perfect, it would be a good start.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They could do something to change this and save thousands of lives, they just can't be bothered though

Pretty much what I just wrote in yesterday's tread, albeit in far fewer words! facepalm.gif

That is the biggest tragedy: the overwhelming majority of these deaths could be avoided if the government really wanted to.

Governments can only do so much.

Sometimes people have to take responsibility for their own actions, and the overwhelming majority of these deaths could be avoided if the people really wanted to and applied some common sense to their own lives. They see the carnage as much as the rest of us but don't seem to understand or want to understand the consequences.

So about one death per province per day.

I am surprised it isn't more. A lot of people on the roads, a lot of traffic, a lot of ambitious overtaking maneuvers, a lot of kids and adults playing with water by the side of the road, a lot of people crowded into pickups, a lot of people riding motorbikes in the wet, getting sprayed and stopped for happy new year greetings (face wiped with powder)

Yesterday afternoon and evening they had a concert in the main intersection of Mahasarakam (clock tower roundabout). They didn't bother closing the road. NOBODY was wearing helmets. Sometimes four on a bike, people darting around everywhere. People jumping on and off pickups to wish others a happy new year. It sounds a bit irresponsible, but I didn't come across any injuries and the atmosphere was really good.

So some people die, and that is terrible, but millions have the best day of their year. Considering how dangerous it appears to western eyes, they do pull it off with surprisingly few deaths. Maybe Buddha is looking after them.

Living in Pattaya I am used to girls half my age and weight sexually assaulting me in the street. But yesterday the girls of Mahasarakam took it to a new level. I think it will be a day that I will never forget. Thank you Thailand for so much.

I am going to contradict you. Thailand is officially ranked as No. 2 in the world when it comes to road fatalities in the world. So when you are talking about Buddha taking care of them is a pure gibberish! Whatever you stated about the lack of safety, it dearly costs them even if you don't see it. Even if someone is killed nearby your neighbourhood on the road, you might not know it... But it happens.

A few months ago near my village a horrific accident happened that took 6 lives. Believe it or not, very few who knew afterwards. When I was mentioning this accident to my Thai fellows, they had no idea even after a a couple of days. This shows Thais don't care what is happening around them and live in their narrow world.

Officially ranked? Or on thaivisa? Here are the official rankings, the Thais can't even break into the top ten!

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

You misread my post, I said considering all the factors, I would expect the toll to be higher. So maybe Buddha is looking down on them, or more likely they are skilled in dealing with dangerous riding/driving and that results in less accidents than if the people behaved that way in the west.

The Thais were unaware of the six deaths near your village. Maybe they like being happy and no need to talk about negative stuff you can not change.

Is your Thai language clear? I have seen many farangs say things to Thai people where the Thai doesn't understand what the farang is on about and theyreally can't be bothered to figure it out or ask to repeat what they said. I do the same thing sometimes when I can't understand them. Or I think I understand them at the time, but then figure out later I got it wrong.

If you live here and can not speak Thai fluently perhaps it is you who is living in a narrow world and don't care what is happening around you.

If you take road deaths per 100k people indeed Thailand is in 2nd place.

If you take road deaths per 100k vehicles then Thailand is a long way down the list with about 75 deaths per 100k vehicles

Guinea has about 9,500 deaths per 100k vehicles per year

Thailand averages 25k road deaths a year, India has almost 240k

Just a bit of perspective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Absolute figures mean nothing. India may well have 9.5 times more road deaths than Thailand, but it has 19 times the population; ergo, Thailand's roads are bloodier. Just saying

If you take road deaths per 100k vehicles then Thailand is a long way down the list with about 75 deaths per 100k vehicles

I noticed that compared to the UK, by number of people, Thailand has 12 times as many fatalities, but by number of vehicles has 14 times as many.

I noticed that compared to the UK, by number of people, Thailand has 12 times as many fatalities, but by number of vehicles has 14 times as many.

you can play with stats all day and make them do just about whatever you like - if you thing stats are "facts" then you are seriously misled.

What you CAN take from the WHO stats is a reasonable commonality and the comparative view on some sets of road stats....it is reasonable to deuce that Thailand has an unacceptable road death rate.....trying to decide who is 1st 2nd or 3rd is pointless anyway and even simply stating that the higher the numbers the more dangerous the roads is not necessarily true.....as you can see when you factor in such things as number of vehicles, mikes of road, vehicle miles driven etc etc......

it seems far too many people are content to base their judgements on one single stat or to see that stat in isolation...this is the case with the Song Khran stats - the media blasts out the number of deaths every day...uses vocabulary like "carnage" and we all are made to believe that the death rate over Song Khran is higher than normal.

you can play with stats all day and make them do just about whatever you like - if you thing stats are "facts" then you are seriously misled.

What you CAN take from the WHO stats is a reasonable commonality and the comparative view on some sets of road stats....it is reasonable to deuce that Thailand has an unacceptable road death rate.....trying to decide who is 1st 2nd or 3rd is pointless anyway and even simply stating that the higher the numbers the more dangerous the roads is not necessarily true.....as you can see when you factor in such things as number of vehicles, mikes of road, vehicle miles driven etc etc......

it seems far too many people are content to base their judgements on one single stat or to see that stat in isolation...this is the case with the Song Khran stats - the media blasts out the number of deaths every day...uses vocabulary like "carnage" and we all are made to believe that the death rate over Song Khran is higher than normal.

This was what I was getting at, everyone goes on about one set of stats because these make Thailand look worse, I was trying to get a little balance by quoting deaths by 100k vehicles not just by population.

Absolute figures mean nothing. India may well have 9.5 times more road deaths than Thailand, but it has 19 times the population; ergo, Thailand's roads are bloodier. Just saying

It depends what you are looking for - if it's the daily death rate to compare with another daily death rate 0- e.g. the Song khran figures, it is the only available way at present.

however Thailand's "2nd in the World" rating is based on deaths per 100k of population.

as pointed out there are many other ways of looking at these stats - deaths per 100k vehicles, per vehicle /kms per km of roads...etc etc...

The thing is with these accidents , from what I've noticed before is people throwing water at speeding bikes and knocking them off. I know there's drink and other associated reasons but I really feel a lot of Thais really cannot see consequence; this goes through the whole of society and situation(s).

I don't know what all the fuss is about,when you think about it most of the deaths are a result of drink driving or reckless driving.so after song krans natural selection process the roads will be that little bit safer for the rest of us.rip the innocent.

That logic not work, they are obviously replaced every year ..

This was what I was getting at, everyone goes on about one set of stats because these make Thailand look worse, I was trying to get a little balance by quoting deaths by 100k vehicles not just by population.

And what I was getting at was that who is top of the list does not really matter, when comparing the countries many of us come from, Thailand is still proportionately just as bad in this respect, in the case of the UK, even worse.

I don't know what all the fuss is about,when you think about it most of the deaths are a result of drink driving or reckless driving.so after song krans natural selection process the roads will be that little bit safer for the rest of us.rip the innocent.

When a drunk driver kills someone from a different family, regardless of whether the drunk dies or not, the phenotype difference found in the innocent victim which is then removed from the gene pool has no positive effect as they did not make the mistake, thus this is not natural selection at all but actually just a damn shame.

Have it be ONE DAY.

...one day only. Not one and a half. One is the whole number between zero and two. New Year's eve is one night. Loy Kratong is one day. Songkran could be established as ONE DAY if Thai authorities agreed to that.

You dont have to play if you dont want to, and if Thais dont want to they wont play. All the ones i saw had smiles accross their faces and seemed to be loving the fun and time with their families.

Many of them work shitty dead end jobs all year and look forward to the enforced new year holiday. I am sure they would not be receptive if the fun police suddenly cut tradional Thai New Year to one day. I enjoy the long holiday to.

Outside of high profile places i think it would be irrelevant if police said water only one day, they would do what they have always done. Where i was i saw police trucks driving around with the family in the back lobbing water.

No one said to deny them a holiday. Rather it is more an attempt to get back to the original intent of spending quality time with loved ones. By all means keep all the days off. Just quit with the idiocy.

How long has it been idiotic according to you? 5 years, 10 years? 50 years?

Edited by Throatwobbler

I consider Thai motorists to be the most inconsiderate , ignorant and unskilled I have ever experienced . These are the main reasons why there are so many fatalities on the Thai roads . Yet the authorities allow the carnage to continue without intervention or efforts to introduce driver education . It ain't rocket science as the western world can demonstrate .

There again I see a similar attitude when shopping and when I am about to get served a Thai will push their goods at the cashier and get served before me , not because I am a falang as they do it to other Thais . Another example , when playing golf the Thais sometimes have 5 or 6 players and play slow but they will rarely call you through, another failure in etiquette .

Sure many of you will have had similar experiences . Of course there are the exceptions .

no - unless the 5 Es are implemented there will be no significant change....motorists who find Thai motorists "inconsiderate , ignorant and unskilled" are just trying to superimpose their own "native" driving habits (not skills) on an alien driving environment.

I drive a lot more than most and find Thais are perfectly considerate and even predictable.....but not in the way you might expect at home.

as an example of a completely different driving culture, I used to drive a lot in Germany and they are probably the most courteous drivers in the world...unfortunately most Brits didn't understand the basic elements of their driving so come back with stories of being "told off" time and again by other drivers......that wouldn't happen in Thailand they are too polite.

Those who think that road safety in Thailand is solved by addressing single issues don't really seem to have a realistic perspective on the situation and are just kidding themselves

Your reply has no substance or credibility . I made a statement that I stand by and is supported by official stats and facts appertaining to fatalities on the Thai roads . Next you will be saying black is white etc .