SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just saw Boris on the box

He's becoming increasingly porcine

I'm going to start calling him der Dicke ( As in Goering). Not because he's a d**k particularly but because like Goering he's so fat.

Yes, der Dicke!

So physical appearance is part of your Brexit equation ......gawd.........rolleyes.gif

It was supposed to be a humourous comment

Clearly, it fell flat

I won't make that mistake again!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the British people living abroad and receiving pension from home, I think it will be a nightmare if England decide to leave EU. The pound will fall a lot. Scotland will most likely want a new referendum since they want to stay. I believe it is a big gamble to choose leaving the EU

But good luck if you do.

More elitist nonsense written in a style that will fail to resonate with the great British public, but will delight the intelligentsia.

It must be terrifying for the hand wringing liberal left to realise that each vote is equal, surely that can't be fair.

Boris is undoubtedly playing his buffoonery cards in a calculated manner.

Actually I think Boris has learnt a bit from the trump campaign, this speech will travel far and wide and even if it's complete nonsense it will strike a chord with many people.

Edited by BaldPlumber

For the British people living abroad and receiving pension from home, I think it will be a nightmare if England decide to leave EU. The pound will fall a lot. Scotland will most likely want a new referendum since they want to stay. I believe it is a big gamble to choose leaving the EU

But good luck if you do.

The pound might fall,there again it could rise.it's all speculation.

The SNP will want another vote on separation, what ever the outcome of this referendum. They cannot be relied on to keep to their word,regarding once in a lifetime.

One question for you Misab, what nationality are you?

But good luck if you do.

The SNP will want another vote on separation, what ever the outcome of this referendum. They cannot be relied on to keep to their word,regarding once in a lifetime.

"The pound might fall,there again it could rise.it's all speculation".

To think it might rise is fantasy, to think it wont fall is to ignore history, the markets and anyone who considers these things professionally. In fact, please post one link from a reputable global financial source suggesting the Pound may rise on Brexit:

"On sterling, the view is pretty universal; a Brexit vote would cause the pound to fall. A Bloomberg poll of economists found that 29 of 34 saw a decline below $1.35 and only one saw the pound above $1.40 (at the time of writing, the pound is around $1.42). Among investors",

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2016/03/brexit-debate-1

"Sterling has been hit by the prospect of a UK Brexit. Last week it plumbed a seven-year low against the dollar. It has fallen around 3.5 per cent against the dollar since February 19, which is a relatively large move over two weeks".

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cca62354-e052-11e5-9217-6ae3733a2cd1.html

"A British exit from the European Union would trigger a run on the pound and send investors rushing for the exit, according to a stark warning from a leading investment bank.

Sterling would depreciate significantly in the event of a Brexit, throwing into sharp relief the UK's bloated current account deficit, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BaML)".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11979631/Brexit-vote-would-trigger-a-run-on-the-pound-warns-Bank-of-America.html

"The pound is the worst-performing Group-of-10 currency this year, dropping about 4 percent versus the dollar, amid concern that Britain will vote to leave the EU in a June 23 referendum. The International Monetary Fund cut its growth forecast for the nation and warned of “severe” damage to the world economy if Brexit happens. A report Thursday showed a gauge of U.K. house prices unexpectedly dropped to a nine-month low in March"

.http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-14/pound-slides-amid-speculation-minutes-will-show-brexit-concern

Just watched this on YouTube

I've not heard of him before, Stefan Molyneux

Thought provoking if you are British

Not really thought provoking. Most of what he says has already been articulated, albeit disjointed over several threads.

He is spot on.

But good luck if you do.

What makes you think that if the pound falls it will remain fallen forever? A one off downside risk while some commentators say it will drop regardless of in or out

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-09/pound-seen-tumbling-whether-u-k-stays-in-eu-or-seeks-brexit

But good luck if you do.

What makes you think that if the pound falls it will remain fallen forever? A one off downside risk while some commentators say it will drop regardless of in or out

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-09/pound-seen-tumbling-whether-u-k-stays-in-eu-or-seeks-brexit

"Remain fallen forever".

In the event of Brexit and a (more substantial) fall in the Pound (than will happen anyway), how long will it take the government to clear the deficit and on a reduced GDP, I mean it's not as though they haven't been trying these past few years, is it!.

Another 306 uneducated people have came out in support of Brexit.

M

ore than 300 business leaders are calling on Britain to vote to leave the European Union, saying that the country’s “competitiveness is being undermined by our membership”.
Signatories of the letter include Peter Goldstein, a founder of Superdrug, Steve Dowdle, the former vice president Europe of technology firm Sony, David Sismey, a MD of Goldman Sachs and Sir Patrick Sheehy, the former chairman of British American Tobacco.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/eu-referendum-more-than-300-business-leaders-back-a-brexit/

But good luck if you do.

I don't think anyone has ever said it would be fallen forever. As Christine Lagarde said it is all about uncertainty and from the time of a brexit vote to the time of actual exit will be the greatest uncertainty. The exit negotiations could drag on for years and the longer it takes means the longer time to recover, whatever that means.

Of course the USA could have problems and send the pound up against the dollar, and the brexiteers would say no problem.

A better check is the Euro, up from 70p to 80p since November. After all trade with the EU is a key issue and it has become more expensive already.

But good luck if you do.

I don't think anyone has ever said it would be fallen forever. As Christine Lagarde said it is all about uncertainty and from the time of a brexit vote to the time of actual exit will be the greatest uncertainty. The exit negotiations could drag on for years and the longer it takes means the longer time to recover, whatever that means.

Of course the USA could have problems and send the pound up against the dollar, and the brexiteers would say no problem.

A better check is the Euro, up from 70p to 80p since November. After all trade with the EU is a key issue and it has become more expensive already.

Who in their right minds is going to take notice of Lagarde.

There is no reason whatsoever that the exit negotiations should take a long time. Remember the EU needs us more than we need them. Check out the trade deficit between the EU and the U.K.

The U.K. Trade with the EU is becoming less and less each year,while the trade with the rest of the world is growing,and will continue to grow.

But good luck if you do.

There is no reason whatsoever that the exit negotiations should take a long time. Remember the EU needs us more than we need them. Check out the trade deficit between the EU and the U.K.

The U.K. Trade with the EU is becoming less and less each year,while the trade with the rest of the world is growing,and will continue to grow.

EU trade is still around the 40% mark so a significant amount to be thrown into question and although the EU as a whole might be keen, the mechanisms in place to achieve a free trade deal are not so straight forward after all one of the big arguments for leaving is the inefficiency and beauracracy. The Brexit movie pushing the economic case makes it clear how poor the EU are at getting trade deals up and running and puts emphasis on how it protects its own markets by blocking external competitors which we would become. It also tries to confuse the trade issue by conflating trade with a free trade agreement.

Trade deals sound to me like they are being over played, from what I have seen/ read the trade in goods are about 8% of GDP while this is still a lot of money the other 32% would therefore be in services like banking.

Trade deals sound to me like they are being over played, from what I have seen/ read the trade in goods are about 8% of GDP while this is still a lot of money the other 32% would therefore be in services like banking.

It's worth pointing out that foreign banks resident in the UK are passported to operate within the EU. If however the UK is no longer a member state that passport becomes void and the banks will have to relocate to a member state in order to continue to do business there - the impact of that could be enormous.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e90885d8-d3db-11e5-829b-8564e7528e54.html

But good luck if you do.

"The pound might fall,there again it could rise.it's all speculation".

To think it might rise is fantasy, to think it wont fall is to ignore history, the markets and anyone who considers these things professionally. In fact, please post one link from a reputable global financial source suggesting the Pound may rise on Brexit:

"On sterling, the view is pretty universal; a Brexit vote would cause the pound to fall. A Bloomberg poll of economists found that 29 of 34 saw a decline below $1.35 and only one saw the pound above $1.40 (at the time of writing, the pound is around $1.42). Among investors",

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2016/03/brexit-debate-1

"Sterling has been hit by the prospect of a UK Brexit. Last week it plumbed a seven-year low against the dollar. It has fallen around 3.5 per cent against the dollar since February 19, which is a relatively large move over two weeks".

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cca62354-e052-11e5-9217-6ae3733a2cd1.html

"A British exit from the European Union would trigger a run on the pound and send investors rushing for the exit, according to a stark warning from a leading investment bank.

Sterling would depreciate significantly in the event of a Brexit, throwing into sharp relief the UK's bloated current account deficit, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BaML)".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11979631/Brexit-vote-would-trigger-a-run-on-the-pound-warns-Bank-of-America.html

"The pound is the worst-performing Group-of-10 currency this year, dropping about 4 percent versus the dollar, amid concern that Britain will vote to leave the EU in a June 23 referendum. The International Monetary Fund cut its growth forecast for the nation and warned of severe damage to the world economy if Brexit happens. A report Thursday showed a gauge of U.K. house prices unexpectedly dropped to a nine-month low in March"

.http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-14/pound-slides-amid-speculation-minutes-will-show-brexit-concern

You will never convince the Brexiteers on here using logic and expertise. Tribal gut feel might work!

But good luck if you do.

In 1939 1 GBP got you 5 USD. What are you talking about?

But good luck if you do.

No, wrong again. As a percentage of total trade yes, but in cash terms? Also it's cyclical and Euro zone is pulling out of recession albeit slowly.

Another 306 uneducated people have came out in support of Brexit.

M

ore than 300 business leaders are calling on Britain to vote to leave the European Union, saying that the country’s “competitiveness is being undermined by our membership”.
Signatories of the letter include Peter Goldstein, a founder of Superdrug, Steve Dowdle, the former vice president Europe of technology firm Sony, David Sismey, a MD of Goldman Sachs and Sir Patrick Sheehy, the former chairman of British American Tobacco.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/eu-referendum-more-than-300-business-leaders-back-a-brexit/

Why do you think they are uneducated?

It's worth pointing out that foreign banks resident in the UK are passported to operate within the EU. If however the UK is no longer a member state that passport becomes void and the banks will have to relocate to a member state in order to continue to do business there - the impact of that could be enormous.

There is no real alternative to the City of London, where many very large banks have their European headquarters. In fact more large banks are, or intend to move to London.

Personally I'm not a fan of Boris Johnson, yet have to admit he knows one or two things about the City, and surely has the pulse of how the banks think.

But good luck if you do.

No, wrong again. As a percentage of total trade yes, but in cash terms? Also it's cyclical and Euro zone is pulling out of recession albeit slowly.

Over the last 10yrs the value of UK exports to the EU has fallen by 18%, so obviously the EU has become less important to the UK economy. While in this same period Germany's export to the rest of the EU has surged by 80%. This figure does in fact include a very large increase of sales to the UK,think BMW and Merc just to name two. Yet people like you, think we need them more than they need us,amazing.

Exactly the same thing could be said about anyone that voices an opinion.

It may come as a surprise to you but as head of the IMF her opinion counts a bit more than most.

It would be a different story if the UK end up going to the IMF for financial support.

There is no real alternative to the City of London, where many very large banks have their European headquarters. In fact more large banks are, or intend to move to London.

Personally I'm not a fan of Boris Johnson, yet have to admit he knows one or two things about the City, and surely has the pulse of how the banks think.

When people believe that they cannot be knocked off their pedestal its a recipe for disaster.

EU trade is still around the 40% mark so a significant amount to be thrown into question and although the EU as a whole might be keen, the mechanisms in place to achieve a free trade deal are not so straight forward after all one of the big arguments for leaving is the inefficiency and beauracracy. The Brexit movie pushing the economic case makes it clear how poor the EU are at getting trade deals up and running and puts emphasis on how it protects its own markets by blocking external competitors which we would become. It also tries to confuse the trade issue by conflating trade with a free trade agreement.

Orac.

I am not sure if this verbal hand grenade was intentional or unintentional.

Could you expand on what you mean by free trade deal ? From where I am sitting, the cost of that free trade deal is wrapped up in the £ 50 Million a day membership fees. Hardly free.

Secondly, putting the hyperbole of both camps aside. There seems to be a lot of emphasis being placed on trade. Which, to me, is rather odd as I was under the impression that a Governments role was to serve the people, not business. Which leads me nicely onto my next point. Why are both camps not speaking up about 2020 and what is due to take place within the EU. That is the real issue that will affect everyday people. Yet it is not being mentioned.

Trade, whilst it does have some relevance, is nothing more than a red herring to mask what 2020 holds.

Orac.

I am not sure if this verbal hand grenade was intentional or unintentional.

Could you expand on what you mean by free trade deal ? From where I am sitting, the cost of that free trade deal is wrapped up in the £ 50 Million a day membership fees. Hardly free.

Secondly, putting the hyperbole of both camps aside. There seems to be a lot of emphasis being placed on trade. Which, to me, is rather odd as I was under the impression that a Governments role was to serve the people, not business. Which leads me nicely onto my next point. Why are both camps not speaking up about 2020 and what is due to take place within the EU. That is the real issue that will affect everyday people. Yet it is not being mentioned.

Trade, whilst it does have some relevance, is nothing more than a red herring to mask what 2020 holds.

Fact checker has net cost at 23M per day or 8.5B per annum

Still a large sum but that excludes all the intangible benefits such as market access etc

I can only state again that if those foreign banks that are headquartered in London, wish to continue to do business in the EU, under EU regulations they will be required, in the event of Brexit, to relocate their headquarters into a member state.