2 weeks in thailand, Pattaya and where else?

mrblonde

I'm visiting thailand in September for 2 weeks with my girlfriend, we are going to pattaya to see an old friend who owns 2 restaurants over there (my girlfriend knows what pattaya is like), but we want to see other things while we are there, any recommendations please?

She's not a keen traveller on buses/coaches though, so ideally not travelling that way if possible. Cost isnt going to be a huge problem, so taxis could be an option (distance depending of course)

We'd like to see animals, ideally elephants and monkeys in as natural habitat as possible (not the performing type). Any places you'd recommend going?

Many thanks

If your going to be in Pattaya for A week it's not giving you much time to see the real Thailand.Maybe visit the friend for 1-2 days then

Head on out.Many things to see and do n Bangkok.Plan at least 3-5days there.You can always check out the beaches,Hua Hin,Samui,there are many.You can head up north to Chiang Mai.Many foreigners go there.If you have time go visit Isaan.Korat,Khon Kaen,Udon Thani ,NongKhai.To visit these places right you really need A month or more.Good luck.You really don't want to waste it

All in Pattaya.

If in Pattaya, take her to Khao Kheow Open Zoo.Take a picnic and make a day of it. There is Thai food there for sale and golf carts for hire. A lot of the monkeys roam freely...which means that in some parts of the park your food needs to be locked away...otherwise they will just take it.

Unfortunately, there is the usual dual pricing. But it is probably one of the few places worth visiting in the region. Go independently. Renting a car or hiring a driver for the day.

On a short two-week trip, and if you need to spend a week first in Pattaya to visit your friend, then I'd recommend visiting Chiang Mai by air for four-six days to do nature-things, and have a final mad day/night in Bangkok for shopping before departure. Sleep on the flight home !

There are cheap-flights from Don Muang (code DMK) to Chiang Mai, on Lion Air & Nok Air & Thai Air Asia & Thai-Smile, or reasonably-cheap connections from Suvarnabhumi (BKK is the main Bangkok airport) on Thai-International/Thai-Smile and Bangkok Airways.

Bangkok Air have a good offer, for bookings by the end of this month, B1490 (about US$45) each way ... http://www.bangkokair.com/eng/promotions/discovery?utm_source=website&utm_medium=homebanner&utm_campaign=discoveryinbound ... and you can get an extra 10 kgs of hold-luggage simply by joining their frequent-flyer program.

if travelling a long distance from pattaya look at Air Asia and others from Pattaya ( u-tapao ) airport

Three "hotspots" Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai are served from U-Tapao.

Samui is still good, just don't drive yourself.

Google Koh Samet. Not for everyone but I love 2/3/4 days there when I can. Boats depart regularlyfor a few kilometre shuttle to the island from Ban Phe(various spellings) in Rayong. A taxi can take you to the wharves from Pattaya. Bit over an hour?

You can do the transfer on a "sort of private" boat but I love the slow one for about 50 baht as opposed to maybe 800baht. Gives me time to wind down on the 30 minute trip over and sup a brew.

Every level of accomodation available.

Look it up.

Near Pattaya:

Frankly top of the hill the big Buddha (Phra Yai) is quite nice. Be sure to stop and walk around the Chinese pavilion just below the top of the hill on the left as you go up. Very peaceful.

Nong Nooch Botanical Garden. Take a taxi and spend well over 1/2 the day. take in the culture show. Beautiful sprawling complex gardens

1,000,000 year crocodile park is worth a go.

If peace and quiet two or three nights on Ko Samet island. Easy convenient tour packages with mini bus pickup.

From Pattaya:

Utapao airport to Phuket and Karon beach. Good clean water in open ocean.

From downtown Phuket the Ferry to Ao Nong is a beautiful ride as you motor by island outcroppings. Ao Nong is scenic. Not that much to do, but I enjoyed it.

To Bankgok for a few days might be OK too. Dusit zoo really is nice. The national museum for some culture. Wat Po for the reclining Buddha, grand palace avoiding the scams outside. The Bangkok BTS Skytrain is a nice way to get an elevated tour of the city. Cheap and convenient. Get off and on any place that looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

If in Pattaya, take her to Khao Kheow Open Zoo.Take a picnic and make a day of it. There is Thai food there for sale and golf carts for hire. A lot of the monkeys roam freely...which means that in some parts of the park your food needs to be locked away...otherwise they will just take it.

Unfortunately, there is the usual dual pricing. But it is probably one of the few places worth visiting in the region. Go independently. Renting a car or hiring a driver for the day.

Many thanks, just looked it up and it looks really good, definatley on our list of places to see.

Experienced dual pricing years ago so pretty used to it by now. There will be 3 of us for part of the Pattaya visit so will get a driver for the day. Any advice on finding one please? I'm pretty clued up and have a friend who runs a restaurant and shop in Pattaya, just wondering the best way to find a reliable driver?

Thanks again

Google Koh Samet. Not for everyone but I love 2/3/4 days there when I can. Boats depart regularlyfor a few kilometre shuttle to the island from Ban Phe(various spellings) in Rayong. A taxi can take you to the wharves from Pattaya. Bit over an hour?

You can do the transfer on a "sort of private" boat but I love the slow one for about 50 baht as opposed to maybe 800baht. Gives me time to wind down on the 30 minute trip over and sup a brew.

Every level of accomodation available.

Look it up.

Thanks Andrew

I done Koh Samet when over there 9 years ago, loved the placed just not a fan of the boat trip over, not good on water at the best of times (not even in swimming pools) and didnt enjoy it, we got a package deal and went over on a wooden boat, think it took between 45 mins to an hour (it felt like forever) but i really didnt enjoy it, shame as we want to go to monkey island just south of Pattaya this time round but already worrying about the boat journey, and I think its a quicker crossing than Koh Samet isnt it?

Forgot to say, have now planned in our last 2 nights in BKK, and the 2 nights before than in Ayutthuya to see the ruins and temples for some culture too.

Already on our list for Pattaya are:

Big gold buddha and look out point

Nong Nooch

Crocodile farm milion year park

Are there any places close to Pattaya where we can see monkeys and elephants please, preferably where they are treated better than most animals in the area? (I realise a lot ore treated poorly, and would be happier to pay a premium for a more 'animal friendly' day/afternoon out)

Any places please?

Also, and this is a little more random, my partner would love a day or afternoon with a more traditional thai family, in there home/garden seeing how they live/cook etc, how on earth would be do this? I know the North of the country is classed at the real Thailand (places in Issan/Khon Khan/Korat etc) but is there any way of seeing a Thai family live in or around the Pattaya/Chonburi province?