Samuijimmy's... Daily life in Thailand and what I see

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Hi Jimmy

So you are off to India. Where will you post your post your pictures?

Something I look forward to see. We will be there at the same time

Cheers

I guess it will have to be in world wide!!!

If I can get a flight booking on Air mile points, it's proving to be very tedious.... At the rate things are going I won't be getting off the ground!  Burma supposed to be in the plan too.

I see on CNN , Sky News etc, 10 x acceptable limits on Smog, in Delhi area right now, coming from burning spent crops in the north and the fireworks from recent festivals  .... every thing is fogged in an won''t make for a lot of great images ! Taj Mahal is on the list of places to see!  I will see!  Still looking for a hat and appropriate clothing too! :whistling:

19 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

I guess it will have to be in world wide!!!

If I can get a flight booking on Air mile points, it's proving to be very tedious.... At the rate things are going I won't be getting off the ground!  Burma supposed to be in the plan too.

I see on CNN , Sky News etc, 10 x acceptable limits on Smog, in Delhi area right now, coming from burning spent crops in the north and the fireworks from recent festivals  .... every thing is fogged in an won''t make for a lot of great images ! Taj Mahal is on the list of places to see!  I will see!  Still looking for a hat and appropriate clothing too! :whistling:

Delhi is a sh*t hole. The problem with the smog have been there for ages and if I remember it right it wins the "most polluted city" in the world year after year.   Really nothing worth to see, except for the Raptors. I saw plenty "Black Clouds" in the middle of the city and I thought it was crows. The power poles are black and when you come close you see that it is Raptors sitting on them. Amazing.

55.jpg

But Agra is some 3 hours away on a nice highway and Jim Corbet Tiger Safari national park is 6 or 7 hours away. Well worth a visit for some days. You will love the birds.

Safari helmet is of course mandatory. Those British or if it was the French were not stupid. The helmet is made of Pith tree (I think that is the name) and when I was paddling down the Zambezi River I just soaked the helmet in the water and it had a real cooling effect when the water evaporated. Like we cool down when the sweat evaporates

Anyway, I have a boat for 5 days in Sundarbans (no roads) and I will look for tigers and birds in the Ganges Delta before flying to Varanasi. I was there when I was a young hippie doing what hippies did and this will be my last time in my life visiting Varanasi

56.jpg

Varanasi, back in the days, taken with a Canon EOS 600 I think. And we can see the dust, finger prints and I don't know what on the 30 year old slide. 

Thanks Aladdin! 

I asked my potential Indian  tour guide about the smog,  I guess they are so used to it "It's normal" to see....

I know when I was in Beijing a few years ago, the smog was pretty bad their too... one has to grin and bare things sometimes!

Delhi is only a landing point, the idea was to travel around various areas by car... the plan is maybe 10 days... It will be like when I came to Thailand for the first time, no idea what to see or expect... I did Pai- Mae Hong Song and the south and loved it... (still do) I am not a fan of cities anywhere... ! 

I am still dithering, I could go to Burma, and stay in a A/C  private room in a Temple for "free"  for the duration, and be tour guided around by the Burmese tour guides who are off work during "rainy season" here on Samui...  I have known them all for years and would treat me well!

Well,  back to Samui here:

Fishing boat arriving back this evening Ban Por Samui... We had a lovely sunny day!

Ban Por Nov. Linda-8888.jpg

Not sure if rain clouds coming back tomorrow or not!

Ban Por Nov. Linda-8889.jpg

These pink flowers, loved some of the recent rain and popped into bloom! (forget the name!)

Ban Por Nov. Linda-8873.jpg

I am doing some experimenting here with images uploaded at 2048 X --- to make sure if we do the 2017 calendar  that we can get images to print well... It needs a little testing, to make sure it will be worth the effort for members to submit entries!  Ron and or I will let you know if it works!

This evening's sun set Ban Por Samui, one can hardly believe still this is supposed to be monsoon season!

Ban Por Nov. Toy and beach-8983.jpg

Ban Por Nov. Toy and beach-8994.jpg

Ban Por Nov. Toy and beach-9002.jpg

I took some European friends around Samui this afternoon, or rather took me as they had a car!

Like many people who have been coming to Samui for years few ever discover Laem Set beach on the south west area of Samui!

Seas so calm, this is not typical November weather!

November S and W Samui -9088.jpg

November S and W Samui -9100.jpg

November S and W Samui -9103.jpg

Just so you guys know, I will be off to KL and then Burma, between Nov 28 to Dec 17th ..... I may not have much internet !

Ron has promised to "hold the fort" !!!

2017 Calendar submissions will be started Dec 1st... Get your best shots ready, they must be loaded at 2048 x (some of you may have to resize images up.....to upload and be in printable quality! )

---------------------------------------------

Mean while some monkey business finished!

November S and W Samui -9144.jpg

Neighbours buffalo having his after bath... after a hard days grazing!

November S and W Samui -9146.jpg

November S and W Samui -9147.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've not had a chance to do many Thailand pics lately! I am still working on getting my Burma images sorted!

But here is a few from the beautiful Samui Airport, as I was leaving at the end of November !

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year for 2017....

Jim

Samui airport to Phuket-9162.jpg

Samui airport to Phuket-9165.jpg

Samui airport to Phuket-9150.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the almost constant rain of late!  A stream running through my garden and lawn.... coming from the hills behind me.

I have to say though many others have had their houses flooded, so I am very lucky that mine is high enough to be OK!

Hill and road just beyond my house

IMG_8370.JPG

There goes the lawn!  the stream on left side is flowing constantly.

IMG_8363.JPG

Workers camp just down the road.

IMG_8378.JPG

• 3 weeks later...