Higher accidents in this year Songkran, says Transport Minister

webfact

Always the focus on alcohol...yes, it plays a large part, but a feel a far greater part is the fact that most Thai drivers drive extremely dangerously with no sense of awareness of the four corners of their cars. I'm sure a lot of those crashes that are marked down as '' caused by alcohol'' would have happened regardless of whether the drivers were drunk or not.

Lack of driver education. We use a cross walk 4 times a week. You have to be a Olympian runner to get across. Most drivers here do not even understand the basics of driving. A true Jekyll and Hyde transformation.

I can hardly wait till TAT brings out their Songkran tourism numbers that were up by 30% this year propaganda. I am sure their staff have been busy on their abacuses 24/7 to deliver a good number. They should have been out by now striking while the iron is hot so to speak. How long does it take to pick a number out of thin air anyways? This would go a long way in explaining the increased number of accidents, deaths and injuries.

Caught drink driving again another 1000 Baht wasted but who cares will be Ok for a good drinking session tomorrow hope it won't cost me another 1000 Baht again tomorrow just pay up and carry on as normal that's what police. And the law mean just pay a few Baht and all is forgive so please don't kill any kids next time you are drunk and driving

Guess I'm missing something here!! So the use of public vehicles is down,so let's deal with that problem!! Also no mention of the main cause of accidents being alcohol related! No mention of dealing with that. Oh dear..So all the efforts!! to improve traffic fatality numbers would seem to have failed big time..Back to the drawing board. He's a idea,how about jailing for a long time people caught drink driving. And introducing a European style driving lessons and tests and uphold the road traffic rules that they already have. Not going to hold my breath ! As a footnote..another report of statistics say nearly 81% of accidents involved bikes..somebody's figures are wrong!

It mentions alcohol in the second paragraph.

Guess I'm missing something here!! So the use of public vehicles is down,so let's deal with that problem!! Also no mention of the main cause of accidents being alcohol related! No mention of dealing with that. Oh dear..So all the efforts!! to improve traffic fatality numbers would seem to have failed big time..Back to the drawing board. He's a idea,how about jailing for a long time people caught drink driving. And introducing a European style driving lessons and tests and uphold the road traffic rules that they already have. Not going to hold my breath ! As a footnote..another report of statistics say nearly 81% of accidents involved bikes..somebody's figures are wrong!

It mentions alcohol in the second paragraph.

Yes I know it did...if you read my post again my point is the main cause is alcohol related ,amongst bad driving of course but not addressing drunk drivers more efficiently isn't addressed in there master plan!