What is this creature please

vogie

Can someone identify this creature, it looks like a small bee. We have seen these flying around and entering our loft space, so presumely they have some sort of nest there. The problem is they are finding their way into the house, I have found 40 this morning, do they sting?

post-195509-0-84639900-1460944610_thumb.

Honey bee.

Yep, honey bee. Certain times of year they show up at our place too. Oddly, will find many just dead on our front porch for some reason.

Yes we find many dead in the house too, which begs the question will there be an hive in the loft, if so will it need moving? We have false ceilings in the house, I don't really know what they're called, its the ceiling with the square void, with like another ceiling above it. We looked at this ceiling this morning and that's where they are getting in to house, so went out and bought some expanding foam, 3 cans of the stuff and just about had enough to finish one ceiling void. You say they only turn up at certain times of the year, does this mean they don't live in the hive all year?

We had a bunch of these little critters in one of our mango trees. They built a honeycomb and lived on that for about 6 weeks. Guesstimate there were about 500 of them. They would go back and forth from tree to our fountain (water feature for the hi-so). Not aggressive at all in my experience.

We had a bunch of these little critters in one of our mango trees. They built a honeycomb and lived on that for about 6 weeks. Guesstimate there were about 500 of them. They would go back and forth from tree to our fountain (water feature for the hi-so). Not aggressive at all in my experience.

Yes our bees don't appear to be aggressive, but have just read on the internet that they can be very aggressive, hope they don't find my mead.

I believe it is a bee! where are you from? Have you never seen a bee before? They will give you a sting if you provoke them, but mostly docile if left alone. Noise will set them off if you have a nest, we had a huge nest hanging from our rafters, they never bothered us at all for two years, they were about 6 feet from our heads.

Then one fine day last year the wife brought in some Thais to pick the Lam Yai - They screeched and eeked and ooked all morning as loudly as they could and finally the bees got fed up and attacked - We had 29 of them in hospital, I have the removal of the nest on youtube if you are interested? Not for the squeamish, and I must say I was pretty PISXED that they had to be removed, they never harmed us in all the time they were here.

The bee guys that got rid of them just told me Shhhhh..... and never a problem!

There is an insect here, looks very much like a honey bee, but does not sting. My friend has a coffee stand, and on occasion, the syrup bottles will appear to be swarmed with bees. However, when I told him to "be careful," he demonstrated, mainly by picking up two or three at a time with his fingertips, that they were harmless. I was surprised. Don't know what they are called, and don't know how you tell them apart from bees. Had I not seen him do this, I would not be making this post. I would also suggest, that as there has been no typical (and usually outdoor) hives linked to these things, that perhaps they are not bees, but this other "sweet seeking missile." Of course, once you are stung, all bets are off.

Yes. Local variety of honey bee. If you leave em alone they will leave you alone ( Mostly ). Sometimes survivors of a raided hive will move to a new spot either temporary or permanent depending on their luck.

A hive arising from a new queen from another hive could also be possible. And the many dead bees are likely to be the drones that die after the new queen is fertilized. If the choice of home is your house then is intended to be permanent.

We have a hive that re sited from a house only 100metres away after it was raided for honey. It is in a hollow section of a palm that is being used as a stand for a big potplant just outside our front door. After the initial swarm cloud which lasted about 20 minutes we hardly notice them come and go. And after several weeks nobody has ever been stung.Even after an occasional flurry which I think maybe caused by an invading lizard or something.

Sting like a bee,,,

reminds me of my ex

Mine, "kicked like a mule." Good times.

On a few memorable times...bucked like a bronco....hang on till the bell.

Had to use both hands...guess that's cheating.But TIT.

A fair bit of misinformation here.

(1) Only some species of bees sting (and then it's only the females). Whilst some species are aggressive (e.g. African bees), most are only aggressive when starving or severely provoked.

(2) Bee colonies are difficult to relocate because they remember the previous location and return there.

(3) Not a good idea to kill off a colony with insecticide if it's in an inaccessible place. The bees keep the wax cool by fanning it. Take the bees away and the wax will melt creating a sticky mess which will be attractive to other creatures.

Generally best to live and let live.

Looks like a bee to me too, and yes they sting.

Sounds like they have made a home, in your home.

Bees will only sting if provoked, and as a last resort. If you go poking their hive with a stick be prepared to make them very angry.

AFAIK, unlike a wasp which just injects venom, the bees stinger actually detaches from the insect and remains in the victim. I 'think' after this has happened the bee will die - but don't quote me on that.

As somebody else has pointed out there is a global issue with bee numbers drastically declining. They are a crucial link in the eco structure of this planet, without them we will be f***ed!

If they are bothering you then get a professional apiarist to remove the hive for you.

Edited by Shadychris

Looks like a bee to me too, and yes they sting.

Sounds like they have made a home, in your home.

Bees will only sting if provoked, and as a last resort. If you go poking their hive with a stick be prepared to make them very angry.

AFAIK, unlike a wasp which just injects venom, the bees stinger actually detaches from the insect and remains in the victim. I 'think' after this has happened the bee will die - but don't quote me on that.

As somebody else has pointed out there is a global issue with bee numbers drastically declining. They are a crucial link in the eco structure of this planet, without them we will be f***ed!

If they are bothering you then get a professional apiarist to remove the hive for you.

Yes whilst I agree with you about what a great job they do. I know without them there would be a lot less food on this planet for us to enjoy, it is very hard to show compassion when there is 20+ of the little beasties flying around the house rooms.

Yes, it is a honey bee, and yes, I can attest to the fact that they sting. Three years ago they started showing up in the kitchen, flying around the recessed lights. I first, I thought they were coming in from the attic, but the kitchen window was not closed all the way and they were attracted to the lights early in the morning.

They ended up building a very large nest in the tree in front of the house and stayed there for almost two years before moving on. Honey bee nests are uppose to be good luck and a week after construction began my wife won 10k Bhat in the lottery. Who knows.

It is a mystery if they are really nesting in your condo, as they need access in and out all day long. If you find a nest you can call a beekeeper who will bring a smoker and hive and get them out of the Condo.

The bees in Thailand I have encountered seem to be very very quiet. GF brother collects honey combs on a regular basis and brings them to the house. Bees just climb on the combs and are easily handled. My protests to leave the bees in the bush are ignored. They seem to love the raw honey as have been collecting since childhood.

Yes, it is a honey bee, and yes, I can attest to the fact that they sting. Three years ago they started showing up in the kitchen, flying around the recessed lights. I first, I thought they were coming in from the attic, but the kitchen window was not closed all the way and they were attracted to the lights early in the morning.

They ended up building a very large nest in the tree in front of the house and stayed there for almost two years before moving on. Honey bee nests are uppose to be good luck and a week after construction began my wife won 10k Bhat in the lottery. Who knows.

It is a mystery if they are really nesting in your condo, as they need access in and out all day long. If you find a nest you can call a beekeeper who will bring a smoker and hive and get them out of the Condo.

Don't live in a condo, we live in a house with a roof void and I'm assuming that their hive is in the roof. We are doing our very best at the moment to isolate ourselves from our guests.

We had them in the external apex of our roof last year. Mrs BM and family were very pleased as apparently they foretell good fortune.

You said 'had' Does that mean they left of their own accord?
Yes, we think the nest was exposed to very high temperatures from direct sunlight in the mornings. Edited by Blue Muton