Where to get documents certified in Bangkok

Anneytulip

Hi, I have a Swedish friend who lives in Bangkok and she needs to get some certified copies of her passport, drivers licence and utility bill and she also needs to have her signature witnessed on one claim form. This needs to be in English, not in Thai.

I have spoken to Siam Legal in Bangkok who will notarise the documents for 2,000 TB each (ouch !!!). The documents don't need to be notarised, they only need to be certified.

Would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

Where will the copies and claim form be used? If outside of Thailand they will probably need to be witnessed at her embassy.

A notary does certified copies and will witness the signature.

This topic comes up so suspiciously regularly it's probably planted by admin because it always generates the same arguments.

The answer is that most suitably licenced lawyers offices can notarise/certify documents or signatures and the usual cost is around 1,000 baht per document. Avoiding embassies for this kind of service is always a good thing, the OP simply needs to ask the institution that wants certified docs whether notarisation by a licenced Thai lawyer is acceptable.

Interactive Associates' lawyers in the Pacific Place office building in lower Sukhumvit have done it for me on a number of occasions and the documents have never been queried by the institutions requiring them in the UK.

A regular poster on this subject will be along shortly to argue vociferously that there is no such thing as a notary in Thailand and that any documents notarised locally are worthless. He should be ignored.

Certified copies of Thai documents can be done by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).

Any translation shop should be able to send them there for you if you don't want to do it yourself. They use the MFA to certify translations of marriage certs etc regularly

I'm not 100% positive but I had the US Embassy make a certified copy of my wifes's passport and a couple of years later they stopped doing that and I was curious and actually called and asked about it.

Certified copies of Thai documents can be done by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).

Any translation shop should be able to send them there for you if you don't want to do it yourself. They use the MFA to certify translations of marriage certs etc regularly

I'm not 100% positive but I had the US Embassy make a certified copy of my wifes's passport and a couple of years later they stopped doing that and I was curious and actually called and asked about it.

The US embassy provides notary services only and that extends to only witnessing your signature made in the officer's presence after checking your passport for proof of identity. If notarizing an affidavit you also must state that the content is true and accurate.

They don't certify true copies or authenticate credentials or the like.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html