Trees and drought

zlodnick

This weather! Never seen anything like it. The pond is almost empty and the well is getting low. No rain for the past 5 months and could be another 4-5 months till we get any at all.

I have to decide what gets water and what doesnt.

One concern I have right now, is some of my shade trees. I have alot of very large, well established trees that provide shade for the house and act as a windbreak during storms.

Ive never had to pay any attention to them, they do just fine during the dry season. However, this year, some of them dont look so good. They dropped thier leaves as usual, but the new foliage never came back. Im not sure if they are going to make it or not. These are mostly, pradu and teen phet, (duck foot). Luckily, the mahogany, (my favorite) are doing fine. The leaves are all back and they look healthy.

Anyone seen well established trees that didnt survive a drought?

Yes, drought, water deficit can affect well established trees. We've just endured 4 years of drought conditions here in central coast California. Although normal rainfall occurred this winter and spring, I'm still getting calls for trees that were drought stressed last year are now in decline as a result of the water deficit and secondary pest and disease invaders, like boring beetles and specific fungal pathogens that attack some drought stressed trees.

Even once or twice a month deep watering during dry season can help trees survive. Mulching the soil surface in root zones and reducing undergrowth that competes for water and nutrients, like ground covers and weeds, can help.

Thanks drtreelove,

Because water is in short supply here, I can only deep water a select few trees, and I have about 30.

I used to mulch around my trees when they were young, but after about 10 years, they seemed to handle the dry season ok. I never expected conditions to get this severe.

Ive already lost most of my bananas, several palms, and a few very large shade trees.

Oh well, with any luck, we might get some rain.

Thanks drtreelove,

Because water is in short supply here, I can only deep water a select few trees, and I have about 30.

I used to mulch around my trees when they were young, but after about 10 years, they seemed to handle the dry season ok. I never expected conditions to get this severe.

Ive already lost most of my bananas, several palms, and a few very large shade trees.

Oh well, with any luck, we might get some rain.

for 3-4k baht, you could try to hire someone from far away with a water truck to come give you a full load? Maybe even cheaper if in the area