Taking Thai girlfriend to UK [few questions]

Hi all,

I have a few questions in regards to obtaining a UK visa for my thai GF that need answering if possible (I can't find any similar questions/answers).

Background:

I have lived with my girlfriend in Thailand for several years and as a matter of fact we both currently work at the same IT company. We are planning to go to England for a few weeks in May while I take my exams and visit my family at the same time. So the purpose of her visit will be to accompany me to visit my family and of course see England and anywhere we decide to go in that time. She will be staying at a home my family owns and funds will be provided by me and her own funds.

Questions:

#1. Supporting letters (Sponsor or Employer letter) need to be addressed to anyone in particular? I read templates where the "British Embassy" is mentioned, however I don't think this is required?

#2 My mum has provided me with a photocopied water bill and bank statement showing the address in the UK where we will be staying, will this be sufficient to prove my GF is entitled to stay there? Also these are not original copies, but photocopies.

#3 Other than the supporting letter, 6 month bank statements and my passport as a sponsor, is there a need to provide any other documents? I see on the website it specifically states not to include photos etc, though I would like to prove we have been together for years and live together and actually work at the same company.

#4 As per the given background given above, the purpose of the visit would be tourism? I don't think visiting family/friends applies due to them being my family.

Thank you very much,

Bountyhuntr

Edited by Bountyhuntr

First of all, and I'm going to sound pernickety here, it's your girlfriends application, she is the one that has to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer, the decision maker, that the proposed visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities she will return home at the conclusion of the visit. You don't actually "obtain a visa for your girlfriend" though of course you will be part of the process.

It's not important who you address the sponsors letter, "to whom it may concern" is as good as anything. If you are sponsoring her write a short letter saying you've been living in a subsisting relationship for how many years it is, give brief details of your joint ties here, working at the same place will help, brief details of your finances, the trip including the length, including where you'll be staying, and any plans for the future, as I say make it brief.

If you're staying at your family home then submit a letter of invitation confirming that you can stay there and what accommodation is available. A copied water bill doesn't really prove anything, to be quite frank my partner has never supplied any more than a letter as I've described and she's always been successful, though I know some people like to provide a lot more.

As you say a letter from her employers giving the details of her work, how long she's been there and that she's expected to return. UKVI staff sometimes call employers to confirm the details, so if the original letter is in English they will expect to converse with the author in English. You say you work there as well, confirmation of that would help.

Original bank statements are required for both of you together with evidence of the source of the income. If you live together give evidence of your accommodation here in Thailand. Supply a copy of your passport, bio page and the pages that evidence your stay in Thailand.

From what you've described, you have joint ties here, you work and live together, you're both going to the UK for a short holiday, it is short isn't it? I don't envisage a problem.

If you've been living in a relationship akin to marriage for more than two years then she could apply for a standard visit visa as your partner, to be quite honest there is no benefit in applying as anything more than as a tourist.

As you rightly say, current UKVI guidance is not to include photographs, I suspect they've been overwhelmed over the years. I used to include a photo of my partner and I every time we travelled overseas, the same information is in our passports, so we now don't. Likewise a note from your employers would prove you work together, though many couples who don't work together still get visas.

Hi oldgit,

Thanks for your response which will be very helpful; I will follow this advice.

Yes you are quite right, I think it was poor wording on my part.

Regarding an invitation letter from my family for accommodation, this can be scanned and printed off my end in Thailand right? Should I get her to sign it also? (sorry I am most likely over-thinking it and worrying due to the trip being only 5 weeks away).

Bank statements will be printed off my online banking website here in Thailand.

That;s it, thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

First of all, and I'm going to sound pernickety here, it's your girlfriends application, she is the one that has to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer, the decision maker, that the proposed visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities she will return home at the conclusion of the visit. You don't actually "obtain a visa for your girlfriend" though of course you will be part of the process.

It's not important who you address the sponsors letter, "to whom it may concern" is as good as anything. If you are sponsoring her write a short letter saying you've been living in a subsisting relationship for how many years it is, give brief details of your joint ties here, working at the same place will help, brief details of your finances, the trip including the length, including where you'll be staying, and any plans for the future, as I say make it brief.

If you're staying at your family home then submit a letter of invitation confirming that you can stay there and what accommodation is available. A copied water bill doesn't really prove anything, to be quite frank my partner has never supplied any more than a letter as I've described and she's always been successful, though I know some people like to provide a lot more.

As you say a letter from her employers giving the details of her work, how long she's been there and that she's expected to return. UKVI staff sometimes call employers to confirm the details, so if the original letter is in English they will expect to converse with the author in English. You say you work there as well, confirmation of that would help.

Original bank statements are required for both of you together with evidence of the source of the income. If you live together give evidence of your accommodation here in Thailand. Supply a copy of your passport, bio page and the pages that evidence your stay in Thailand.

From what you've described, you have joint ties here, you work and live together, you're both going to the UK for a short holiday, it is short isn't it? I don't envisage a problem.

If you've been living in a relationship akin to marriage for more than two years then she could apply for a standard visit visa as your partner, to be quite honest there is no benefit in applying as anything more than as a tourist.

As you rightly say, current UKVI guidance is not to include photographs, I suspect they've been overwhelmed over the years. I used to include a photo of my partner and I every time we travelled overseas, the same information is in our passports, so we now don't. Likewise a note from your employers would prove you work together, though many couples who don't work together still get visas.

Hi oldgit,

Thanks for your response which will be very helpful; I will follow this advice.

Yes you are quite right, I think it was poor wording on my part.

Regarding an invitation letter from my family for accommodation, this can be scanned and printed off my end in Thailand right? Should I get her to sign it also? (sorry I am most likely over-thinking it and worrying due to the trip being only 5 weeks away).

Bank statements will be printed off my online banking website here in Thailand.

That;s it, thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

Im not 100% sure if this is correct but printed online statements would not be accepted unless they have been stamped by the bank.

When applying for my wife's visa I ordered bank statements to my parents home and they sent them via DHL to me in Thailand.

The specified evidence appendix for family settlement applications does say

1. In relation to evidencing the financial requirements in Appendix FM the following general provisions shall apply: ( a ) Bank statements must:
(v) be:
(1) on official bank stationery; or
(2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

But that is for settlement applications where the financial requirement is much stricter.

The closest the guidance for visit visa supporting documents comes to this is

All documents must be originals and not photocopies.

No mention of print outs of electronic documents such as online bank statements.

Indeed, anecdotal evidence from many members here who have provided only printouts in visit visa applications suggests that such print outs should be fine.

If your mother's invitation and promise of accommodation letter is scanned to you she should sign it first; although, again, anecdotal evidence suggests that an email is fine.

• Like 1

Printed online bank statements are fine for a VV. They were for two VVs for us last year. I recently noticed that my bank statements have my name and address in them which might lake a difference but stamping and stuff are apparently needed for a Settlement visa.

I would still provide a few photos of the two of you in various places. It may have been my GFs Settlement visa that changed the policy. biggrin.png We had almost no other proof that we were a couple apart from a few airline tickets so we sent a lot of photos taken all over the UK and Thailand.

• Like 2

Hi!

I just thought I'd give you my thoughts on your questions.

I went through the process over Christmas with my Thai gf and had no issues with the application and the Visa was granted.

Your situation mirrors mine!

It sounds like you pretty much have everything covered.

I haven't read the previous replies, so apologies if I repeat the same info.

As well as the documents you've listed, I also included letters from my employer and my gf's employer that confirmed we work for them and also which dates we'll be returning to work on. These were certified by the companies.

The bank statements I provided were not certified by the bank.

I also submitted a brief itinerary of what we planned to do, along with estimated costs. In my sponsor letter, I explained that I would be covering all costs of our activities.

Ask your mum to send you a letter of invitation to stay at the house (you are staying there, right?) and detail that there will be no charge for accommodation (if this is the case).

Do you currently rent your home here or have a mortgage in her name? Either way, it's worth submitting proof of this too, as it only strengthens the fact that you live together and need to return here.

I didn't submit any photo evidence whatsoever. I had no issues with the Visa being granted, as we demonstrated that we will be returning after a couple of weeks. As long as you do the same, and it sounds like you have, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Good luck! It's still a little nerve racking in that waiting period!

• Like 2

Hi!

I just thought I'd give you my thoughts on your questions.

I went through the process over Christmas with my Thai gf and had no issues with the application and the Visa was granted.

Your situation mirrors mine!

It sounds like you pretty much have everything covered.

I haven't read the previous replies, so apologies if I repeat the same info.

As well as the documents you've listed, I also included letters from my employer and my gf's employer that confirmed we work for them and also which dates we'll be returning to work on. These were certified by the companies.

The bank statements I provided were not certified by the bank.

I also submitted a brief itinerary of what we planned to do, along with estimated costs. In my sponsor letter, I explained that I would be covering all costs of our activities.

Ask your mum to send you a letter of invitation to stay at the house (you are staying there, right?) and detail that there will be no charge for accommodation (if this is the case).

Do you currently rent your home here or have a mortgage in her name? Either way, it's worth submitting proof of this too, as it only strengthens the fact that you live together and need to return here.

I didn't submit any photo evidence whatsoever. I had no issues with the Visa being granted, as we demonstrated that we will be returning after a couple of weeks. As long as you do the same, and it sounds like you have, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Good luck! It's still a little nerve racking in that waiting period!

Awesome, thanks for your input Jay ;)

Those points you made I was thinking of too!

Showing returnair tickets for both might also help.

Sorry, to say this. But I have found that Thai girls who go to Western countries. End up acting like Western girls. The Thai qualities;

that you fell in love with vanish when they come back. I know every girl is different and I'm sure that there are many happy couples.

Hope it works out, and you live a great and happy life.

My girlfriend's visa started from the date of our flight that we'd booked to the UK.

Visas normally start from the date the decision is made, unless the applicant asks for it to be post dated.

I did think it interesting that the visa started on 13 April, the date of our flight, but was issued 3 weeks before this. I didn't request this although the application made clear when we were flying and I had already booked the tickets.

Sorry, to say this. But I have found that Thai girls who go to Western countries. End up acting like Western girls. The Thai qualities;

that you fell in love with vanish when they come back. I know every girl is different and I'm sure that there are many happy couples.

Good grief, she's only going for a holiday!!

• Like 1

Generally sounds good but the only concern I would have is the time scale. You say May. The end of May is only 5 weeks away and knowing embassies and paperwork I think you may have problems in the length of time available. I hope you don't, but do be cautious as simple things can take a long time. Good luck.

<snip>

I would still provide a few photos of the two of you in various places.

I'd recommend scanning in or copy/pasting a few photos into the Sponsor's letter.

Why?

Section 4: documents you should not send unless specifically requested of the UKVI supporting documents guide specifically says

This page provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application.

photographs (other than passport photographs required in section 1)

My girlfriend's visa started from the date of our flight that we'd booked to the UK.

Visas normally start from the date the decision is made, unless the applicant asks for it to be post dated.

I did think it interesting that the visa started on 13 April, the date of our flight, but was issued 3 weeks before this. I didn't request this although the application made clear when we were flying and I had already booked the tickets.

As I understand it, and based upon recent applications I've been involved with personally, these days visit visas, if not all UK visas, start from the date of travel entered on the form, which can be up to three months ahead, or the date the decision is made; whichever is the later.

Take the advice from Oldgit, it is spot on!

Another poster - Keithcresswell said to accompany her through the foreign passport channel, when I took my soon to be wife, I did the same and after queuing for 30 minutes in the foreign channel, the immigration officer told me to simply accompany her through the UK Channel and avoid the delay, they said "We don't split up families" In fact I have had the same treatment here in Thailand when re entering with my son, he holds Brit / Thai passports and enters on the Thai one, the Thai immigration process me in the Thai channel when we travel together.

Edited by menzies233

Good grief, she's only going for a holiday!!
I intend taking my wife to the UK for the first time for a short holiday this year and would see a small adjustment and a greater understanding and exposure of western culture as a bonus. Edited by Linesy
  • Like 1

See below for typical of many sponsorship letters I have written over the years

The British Embassy

Wireless Road

Bangkok

Application for Family Visitor Visa – Sponsorship Letter

Dear Sirs,

Please find attached a completed application for a UK Visa (Non-Settlement Form VAF1B–Nov2008) for Miss xxxx. - in this case a niece. NB current forms have a different number and see below:

During her visit xxxx will stay with her xxxx and xxxx and we would be most obliged if you would grant her a 6 months visitor’s visa.

Miss xxxx will not work whilst in England and I hereby undertake to underwrite the cost of her transport to, from and within the United Kingdom and for all costs associated with her maintenance and accommodation during the period of her permitted visit. She is will be fully covered by medical insurance for the duration of her trip to the UK.

Plus lots of details about you, your parents and immediate family.

However, I don't think you need to bother anymore with a letter, Nowadays you can only get a visa by completing the online form and it requires so much information about where and with whom your girlfriend will stay that it makes a letter superfluous.

Go ahead and write one if you want, but it is not really necessary. I don't bother any more.

Home printed bank receipts for proof of income have always been ok for me. A letter from your Mother with copies of the receipts you mention are also good to have and will almost certainly be requested when you get to hand in all the required background information – Not sure this year, but in late 2014 two photos were still required. The Embassy website will tell you.

Good Luck.

Just in case no-one's mentioned it, If she gets the visa, accompany her through the foreign passport line at immigration in the UK. And have all your paperwork such as return tickets to hand as well.

Go through the EU passport line with her, is usually faster, especially at Heathrow...Just mention that she is travelling with you.

UK Visas and Borders are really only interested in

1. You are a UK citizen as sponsor and have the right to live in the UK

2. You have somewhere to stay in the UK

3 You have Money

4. Most importantly of all that your gf will return to Thailand.

• Like 1

As I understand it, and based upon recent applications I've been involved with personally, these days visit visas, if not all UK visas, start from the date of travel entered on the form, which can be up to three months ahead, or the date the decision is made; whichever is the later.

In our case the GFs first VV was dated from the date the GF's submitted the application, the second on the date I specified which was two months away and the Settlement Visa on the date that it was granted. It was picked up from VFS two days after the start date on the visa.

I like the tip about immigration. We'll try that next time.

Not the same in my experience. The only thing Mrs BM wants from England is the weather. Living in the UK for three years certainly broadened her horizons and appetite for travel but she retains the values and qualities that attracted me in the first place.

Bank statements will be printed off my online banking website here in Thailand.My online printed statements were accepted. You wasted your time and money.

Im not 100% sure if this is correct but printed online statements would not be accepted unless they have been stamped by the bank.

When applying for my wife's visa I ordered bank statements to my parents home and they sent them via DHL to me in Thailand.

Edited by theoldgit
Uneccesary follow on quote removed