Do Busy Immigration Offices Use Foreigners or Thai Interns to Check Documents & Answer Questions?

I've spent my entire retirement in Chiang Ma and I've often wondered how other Immigration offices handle the issue of checking applicants' documents prior to interviews with Immigration officers.

You see, one "excuse" that Chiang Mai Immigration gives for not giving out any additional queue numbers after the initial document check at 8:30 am opening time is that they don't have personal available for this task. How do other offices handle this?

Yes, CM Immigration does have an info desk up front, staffed by college interns, but they're pretty clueless. If you arrive after all the queue tickets are distributed during the morning line-up you're out-of-luck, even if they didn't distribute the full day's quota of 30 tickets.

I've heard that other Immigration offices use expat "volunteers" to check documents. Is this true? What happens in places with many retirees? Pattaya? Phuket? Can a retiree just rock in at, say 10 am with his documents and be able to get his retirement extension processed that same day?

I have no real idea what the problem is in CM but suspect the answer is that the place is swamped by expats. The IO/s, even with the best of will, can only process a given number of applications /day

In my opinion the immigration service in CM is severely under resourced and complaining here will not change anything,

Pressure bought by complaints to Embassy's and the local Governor might secure change.

Sadly I suspect most expats prefer moaning rather than taking positive action.

• Like 1

Never seen any farangs in any capacity involved at ChangWattana in Bangkok.

When you arrive and get in the line for obtaining a queue ticket, the Thai Immigration officers manning the desk take a cursory look at your docs once you tell them what you're there before -- not checking the actual content of your docs, but just making sure mainly you have the correct form(s) filled out for whatever you're wanting to do.

In Phuket they rely heavily on foreign volunteers. Some of the volunteers are really great. Sometime the office is overwhelmed other times not. But, it sounds like here in Phuket it's a breeze compared to Chiang Mai. Now I have never been to immigration in Chiang Mai but I have read many posts about it, including many of yours NancyL. You seem to have worked very hard to be of assistance to expats there.

Why not move to Phuket. I'm sure you would be very welcome here. Even at the immigration office biggrin.png

Cheers

Edited by Pakaty
  • Like 1

"Can a retiree just rock in at, say 10 am with his documents and be able to get his retirement extension processed that same day?"

---------------

In Pattaya it's not really a problem coming in at any time of the day for most things. I have gone in just before, or just after, lunch more than once but only for things like residence certificate, re-entry permit although never for an extension of stay request. There has always been adequate staff although there have been times that it was very crowded.

There has been a "Foreign Volunteer" working during many visits although they seem to spend their time explaining things to confused applicants rather than doing initial document checks.

Nothing bad I could say about our local Imm. office although I'm sure others may have had other experiences.

I agree, even when applying for retirement extension, I don't show up early. Usually late morning or early afternoon. Depends on many factors but quite often there's less of a crush then. For 90 day reports I'm usually in and out in a few minutes and even for the retirement extension it's been quite quick. Last year I went on Christmas morning for the extension and was in and out in something like 15 or 20 minutes.

There was a very knowledgeable farang who assisted confused applicants and would even check through documents before they went to the appropriate desk if they were unsure. I think his name was Barry. He retired several years ago. I have seen a couple of different replacement farang a few times since then. They seemed pretty useless anyway and I don't think I've seen them for a quite awhile.

• Like 1

Yes they do and in my experience in Phuket the Swede was abusive and wrong. Later a Thai official came and explained everything. All was ok.

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of I had a problem with him last year as well.

Dark hair, heavy set?

Edited by Pakaty

In Phuket, there are 2 levels of preliminary checks done for the transactions processed upstairs (marriage extensions, and a few others).

The first level is always done by a foreign volunteer, and I would guess that well over 50% of applicants have some sort of issue with their paperwork that requires them to provide something additional. While the foreign volunteers are not always 100% correct, they provide a valuable service in that most errors are caught early and can be resolved quickly.

Once past the first level check, the second level check is performed by either an Immigration Officer or an college intern, sitting directly next to the foreign volunteer. As NancyL mentioned, the interns appear to be fairly clueless, and seem to be there as a learning experience and to help out with translating English. If the paperwork passes this second check, then other things are checked (such as house registration and 90 day report), and some information is entered into their system on the terminal located at that station.

Final processing is then done by another Immigration Officer, in one or more sessions at his desk.

In Phuket, it seems that the busiest time (upstairs) is early morning, and just after lunch. On my last few visits, it seems to die down around 10am. The bottlenecks I've observed include checking paperwork of people queued up when the doors open, waiting for an available Immigration Officer to perform final processing, and waiting for whatever checking and processing is done in the back office before the Officer can stamp your passport.

• Like 2

Samui is relatively straightforward outside of Christmas-Songkran or after bank holidays. They are due to move into purpose built premises shortly (TIT!). Their current office resembles a MacDonalds drive-in and has never been fit for purpose.

There have never been any foreign assistants in my time. Having some at the new place might enhance the service. Seperating 90 day/Retd extns/re-entrys from everyone else will make life easier too.

Edited by evadgib

The man on the left of the picture is the only Swede in the group as far as I know. He's been doing that job for over 10 years and has a reputation of being very helpful and courteous. I would be most surprised if he was otherwise.

Phuket Immigration Volunteers (PIV)

Phuket immigration volunteers (PIV)

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-looking-for-a-russian-volunteer-46752.php

1402307090_1-org.jpg

Phuket Immigration Volunteers (PIV)

Or they could just stop giving Visa Agents 'free' access at any time.

Went to Promanada one morning (around 11am), looked at the huge queue, thought 'forget it'.

Walked into the G4 office and asked how long do I need to wait to get a retirement extension, they said around 15 minutes.

Edited by BritManToo

Or they could just stop giving Visa Agents 'free' access at any time.

Went to Promanada one morning (around 11am), looked at the huge queue, thought 'forget it'.

Walked into the G4 office and asked how long do I need to wait to get a retirement extension, they said around 15 minutes.

Yeah, It irks me when I see the visa agents just walk in all smiles and jokes and get serviced on the spot.

"Can a retiree just rock in at, say 10 am with his documents and be able to get his retirement extension processed that same day?"

---------------

In Pattaya it's not really a problem coming in at any time of the day for most things. I have gone in just before, or just after, lunch more than once but only for things like residence certificate, re-entry permit although never for an extension of stay request. There has always been adequate staff although there have been times that it was very crowded.

There has been a "Foreign Volunteer" working during many visits although they seem to spend their time explaining things to confused applicants rather than doing initial document checks.

Nothing bad I could say about our local Imm. office although I'm sure others may have had other experiences.

I agree, even when applying for retirement extension, I don't show up early. Usually late morning or early afternoon. Depends on many factors but quite often there's less of a crush then. For 90 day reports I'm usually in and out in a few minutes and even for the retirement extension it's been quite quick. Last year I went on Christmas morning for the extension and was in and out in something like 15 or 20 minutes.

There was a very knowledgeable farang who assisted confused applicants and would even check through documents before they went to the appropriate desk if they were unsure. I think his name was Barry. He retired several years ago. I have seen a couple of different replacement farang a few times since then. They seemed pretty useless anyway and I don't think I've seen them for a quite awhile.

Yes it woz Barry Kenyon that woz at Jomtien Immigration until bout 3 yrs ago. He's still around though.

Thank you for the responses. I thought I'd read where at least one office had a well developed program of foreign volunteers and I appreciate the reports from Phuket.

The management of the Chiang Mai offices uses the excuse of lack of manpower as a reason for the lack of progress in making improvements yet claims it's impossible to use foreign volunteers to assist. Yet there are some excellent, knowledgeable people within the English-speaking and Japanese-speaking expat clubs who would be willing to set up a group similar to what they seem to have in Phuket. (I don't think they'd want the military-looking uniforms, though. Maybe just a vest or something that identified them as an official assistant.)

The only thing causing the delays at CM immigration are the corruption.

No need to talk about anything else at all, it won't help unless you can stop the corruption.

They don't want it to be faster or more convenient, all they want is the agents tea money.

• Like 1

In Phuket they rely heavily on foreign volunteers. Some of the volunteers are really great. Sometime the office is overwhelmed other times not. But, it sounds like here in Phuket it's a breeze compared to Chiang Mai. Now I have never been to immigration in Chiang Mai but I have read many posts about it, including many of yours NancyL. You seem to have worked very hard to be of assistance to expats there.

Why not move to Phuket. I'm sure you would be very welcome here. Even at the immigration office biggrin.png

Cheers

Do those foreign volunteers have the correct "volunteering" visa or are they on retirement visas while working? :)

• Like 1

Cheers

Do those foreign volunteers have the correct "volunteering" visa or are they on retirement visas while working? smile.png

I don't know, but if I had to guess I would say no working visa. TIT tongue.pngsmile.png

Edited by Pakaty

I've often wondered about the Chiang Mai queue/quota system. How do they know if their queue will be full of experienced, efficient, by-the-book applicants who take mere minutes to process or if they will have more of the uninformed, unprepared, question-asking, time-consuming applicants? I can see cutting off a queue in the afternoon if they can see that, based on the way the day has gone thus far, they need to stop issuing queue numbers. But routinely doing it at 0830???

I've only dealt with Jomtien (Cholburi) and Hua Hin, and both places don't place an 0830 curfew, nor have I seen such a practice even when I've arrived in the late afternoon for an extension, 90-day report, or re-entry permit.

Cheers

Do those foreign volunteers have the correct "volunteering" visa or are they on retirement visas while working? smile.png

I don't know, but if I had to guess I would say no working visa. TIT tongue.pngsmile.png

They better be careful then, immigration might one day bite then in the ass and haul them off to the detention centre for working without the correct volunterring visa :P

• Like 1

I've often wondered about the Chiang Mai queue/quota system. How do they know if their queue will be full of experienced, efficient, by-the-book applicants who take mere minutes to process or if they will have more of the uninformed, unprepared, question-asking, time-consuming applicants? I can see cutting off a queue in the afternoon if they can see that, based on the way the day has gone thus far, they need to stop issuing queue numbers. But routinely doing it at 0830???

I've only dealt with Jomtien (Cholburi) and Hua Hin, and both places don't place an 0830 curfew, nor have I seen such a practice even when I've arrived in the late afternoon for an extension, 90-day report, or re-entry permit.

Chiang Mai Immigration weeds out the uninformed, unprepared, question-asking, time-consuming applicants during the document inspection at 8:30. They start at 8:30 and often don't finish until 9 am and sometimes even later depending upon how many of those types where in the queue. Someone doesn't receive a queue number unless they have all the documents needed and their form is completed correctly, or close to correctly with instruction given on what's lacking during the morning queue inspection. If they're lacking something that can be easily corrected, like a photo of the correct size or on the correct color background, or a bank book that's been updated, then they're given a higher number queue number so they have a few hours to go correct the problem. If they missing something very important, like the Income Letter from their Embassy, then they simply don't get a queue number and are told to return another day when they have the correct document.

People don't go to CM Immigration to "ask questions" -- at least not of a uniformed immigration officers. Maybe one of the college interns at the info desk up front, but they're not much help. If someone is clueless and expects a Thai person to hold their hand, then they're out-of-luck at Immigration and better go hire the services of an Visa Agent in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Cheers

No they do not..

Secondly, a mate (who has now left Thailand) used to work there.. He used to 'sell' visas and visa runs (passport to Sadao, person not going) and then his immigration handler told him he should become a volunteer as it would give more cover.. He was an immigration police volunteer for years doing that.. No money for retirement, no problem.. Lacking any papers that could be fudged ?/ No problem..

Kept him in Thailand living purely on the bribes.. Amusing Thailand. Hes now in PI.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Immigration weeds out the uninformed, unprepared, question-asking, time-consuming applicants during the document inspection at 8:30. They start at 8:30 and often don't finish until 9 am and sometimes even later depending upon how many of those types where in the queue. Someone doesn't receive a queue number unless they have all the documents needed and their form is completed correctly, or close to correctly with instruction given on what's lacking during the morning queue inspection. If they're lacking something that can be easily corrected, like a photo of the correct size or on the correct color background, or a bank book that's been updated, then they're given a higher number queue number so they have a few hours to go correct the problem. If they missing something very important, like the Income Letter from their Embassy, then they simply don't get a queue number and are told to return another day when they have the correct document.

People don't go to CM Immigration to "ask questions" -- at least not of a uniformed immigration officers. Maybe one of the college interns at the info desk up front, but they're not much help. If someone is clueless and expects a Thai person to hold their hand, then they're out-of-luck at Immigration and better go hire the services of an Visa Agent in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the clarification. All I had remembered reading was about the queue number-issuing being stopped early in the morning. Not a very user-friendly system, to say the least, to get there by by 0830 (0900?) only to have to return later (or wait all day?) but we certainly have no right to expect more, I guess.

Well in Mukdahan,we have

90 day report= 5 minutes or less

retirement extension = 10 minutes or less

Immigration office never busy

Nakhon Phanom also. Very quick, very efficient. Pays to live where there are no foreigners!!

Edited by laolover88
  • Like 1