Best Way To Withdraw U.s. Dollars In Bangkok?

expat98

People on the lonelyplanet.com site claim that you can withdraw U.S. dollars from your U.S. bank account or credit card at banks in Bangkok. But all the banks I've checked with say that the only way I can get dollars is to buy them with baht. I hate to get hit with the exchange commission twice (dollars to baht, and then back to dollars).

Is there any better way to get U.S. dollars in Bangkok?

thanks

Certainly something I've never heard of. But saying that lonelyplanet is not the holy grail of factual tourist advice. Where I live, some things that they say are horribly wrong.

One thing I recommend you always carry is a pinch of salt.

People on the lonelyplanet.com site claim that you can withdraw U.S. dollars from your U.S. bank account or credit card at banks in Bangkok.  But all the banks I've checked with say that the only way I can get dollars is to buy them with baht.  I hate to get hit with the exchange commission twice (dollars to baht, and then back to dollars).

Is there any better way to get U.S. dollars in Bangkok?

thanks

in thailand it has to go from your home bank account's currency to baht and then to dollars. even if dollars are handed to you by one person it took two steps.

the best exchange rate i have found so far is using your credit card at an exchange, the transaction will be treated as a credit card purchase on your statement. ATMs give you the worst exchange rate and throw charges on top <to verify this take the same amount from each the same day and look at your statement>

the exchanges and the banks are close going from baht to dollars, you can compare the best rate on their board or daily sheet posted.

When looking a "best Rate" CC vs bank/debit card remember that your cc may have some additional transaction rates. I pay a fee of 3.50USD per withdrawal from my U.S. bank and no fee from the Thai Bank. If you make withdrawals of 15,000 Baht that make the % cost very low Sample Transactions from the last show 38.89 and 38.30 from Thai Farmers and Siam City bank which was about the same for TCs at a Cambio. I have heard of problems but I do go by the methiod of only using machines at banks when they are open so if there is a problem at the maching I can speak to a person right away. May I also recomend for those regular visitiors that you open a Thai acct that provides a bank card. You'll get the card right away (without your name) that works also. Just fill the little bugger with travelers checks (safe to transport and much cheaper than wire transfers) and off you go. If you have MC/Visa debit cards that's a great way to use cash from home, no fee in most cases. But of course any TG can explain all this as ways to

make them berry bery happy!