Is Ubc Overcharging Their Customers?

prighas

I have been a loyal subscriber to UBC broadcasting for the last 5 years. I did it because I had no other choice. I tried looking at other potential broadcasting companies but found their channels not even worth the low subscription fee.

About 3 months ago, I ended my subscription with UBC and demanded the 4000 baht deposit which I have paid 5 years ago. I only heard from them yesterday and they mentioned that it should take another 40 days or so to get deposit.

Now, they SUDDENLY and MOST SUPRISINGLY to many customers decide to stop airing MTV and VH1 though they had known this more than 6 months ago

(please read: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/03...s_30017885.php).

Is there something going on here?

Are you happy with what UBC is offering? Do you think 1600 baht for a Gold package is worth the channels u r getting?

Just wanted to get your view on this.

Are you happy with what UBC is offering? Do you think 1600 baht for a Gold package is worth the channels u r getting?

I am happy with the channel selection I receive with UBC, but I do feel the price is high especially considering the piss-poor quality of the video signal offered.

Here's that link again,

<a href="http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/03/business/business_30017885.php" target="_blank">http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/03...s_30017885.php)</a>

There is an extra character in the OP's link that breaks it.

I agree with ovenman about the signal, but more than that, they need real competition to force changes to how the programming is delivered. A more modern box at least.

Hopefully a program demand system will become available here soon.

We have had UBC here in Bangkok for about 7 years and I am satisfied with them. I pay by the year, B18,000 for 13 months. I looked at the Gold package and although I liked a couple of the channels I didn't think it was worth the extra charge. I have Sophon Cable in Pattaya and it's only B3000 per year, not a lot of choices but for that price its worth it.

I've got the Gold package and I don't think it's really worth the money. The movies are usuallly crappy, so mostly end up watchin the documentry channels which are pretty good to be fair.

But I want to watch English Language TV and UBC is easy to set up etc. so can't grumble too much.

I subscribe to their "Platinum" package for Bt2,155/month. I took this because it was the only way I could get BBC Prime (now called BBC Entertainment). This channel is now a waste of money since they (BBC) revamped it. MTV stopping makes no difference to me.

There is a pretty good sports coverage but otherwise not much else of interest on the various channels.

We do not experience many technical problems, except when there is a thunder storm.

I also have a satellite dish but don't get the channels I prefer to watch on this. UBC is definitely not worth the money I pay but there is little alternative.

I think when you look at value for service is where UBC fails. There's really nothing wrong with the fact there are so few channels. And maybe you could shrug off the crap VCD picture quality that is often highly pixilated and shimmering. Or no wide screen format. Or the fact the cable box belongs in a museum. Or even the fact you get nothing but black screen when it rains. Instead of calling this a 1600 baht/month gold package they made it a 250 baht/month rout iron package it would be a fair representation and price for what you get. As far as I am concerned, one more price hike and I am pulling the plug on it for good.

On the other hand, I have no problem with the decision of removing MTV and going to Thai pop channels. I thought MTV played too much farang stuff and it just wasn't that good. It's MTV's fault no one wanted to watch that stuff. It seemed unusual at first glance to drop MTV because every cable service to be "real" you would think has to have HBO, CNN and MTV but the substitutes actually makes sense for the geography. But will UBC pass on the cost savings to the customer by lowering our prices? That's the part that gets me.

My summary is UBC is a low quality service for a sky high price. If there was anything up to western standards available, they would have no customers.

Compared to some neighboring countries to Thailand the Gold and platinum subscriptions

do seem a bit high...............................................is it correct that UBC have a monopoly

on cable TV services and is this why the price is on the high side ?

A rip off of sorts. Wanted BBC Prime very much, which was unfortunately scrapped five days after my subscription. So had to upgrade from Silver to Gold. Unfortunately there is nothing so golden about it. But for an english speaking person have no alternative but to watch. I highly doubt the price will be reduced due to unplugging VH1 and MTV. I miss VH1 :o

I subscribe to their "Platinum" package for Bt2,155/month. I took this because it was the only way I could get BBC Prime (now called BBC Entertainment). This channel is now a waste of money since they (BBC) revamped it.

The "Silver" package actually has BBC prime for something like 800+ baht

I subscribe to their "Platinum" package for Bt2,155/month. I took this because it was the only way I could get BBC Prime (now called BBC Entertainment). This channel is now a waste of money since they (BBC) revamped it.

The "Silver" package actually has BBC prime for something like 800+ baht

Are you sure i have gold if the silver has BBC prime i would change it was one of a few programes i watched the BBC Entertainment progame is rubish.

i pay 1500 for the gold and it's got all the sport you can handle. football, motor racing, boxing, golf, ufc etc etc. it's perfect.

the wife like series and also xytz, which shows a lot of documentaries about the UK so she can see how different it is....she loves it...

didnt realise anyone watched mtv or vh1, i just put a cd on if i wanted to listen to something.

I hadn't noticed either. It is expensive compared to other places I guess, but I wouldn't do without. Even though i don't watch a lot I have my regular shows that i never miss.

Has anyone tried True's broadband TV yet .... interested to try it but don't know how good it is (e.g. is it the same as my internet connection which just stops working every now and then for no reason?)

Maybe just a bit of [official] history would help.

Thailand used to have two Satellite TV companies - UTV and IBC. Both were losing money, big time. Then they decided to merge so as not to pay twice for the same channels and have a bigger pool of customers. UBC was born, but it was still losing money up until a year or two ago.

I imagine if they had 5 million subscribers instead of 500,000, the prices would go down. But, as someone mentioned already - English programs are difficult to sell to non-speaking Thais.

They introduced Thai sountracks on documentray channels, they introdiced Thai dubbed movies, too, but it's still not a Thai TV.

I don't know about the status of upcountry cable companies. UBC always complains that they are broadcast illegally obtained signals, or simply play pirated DVDs.

As for signal quality - let's hope there will be improvements once they migrate to Thaicom5, it's even capable of HDTV.

To the OP - am I happy with their price and service? I wouldn't mind paying less and getting more, but it's not on the cards, is it?

By way of comparison my Astro service here in Penang costs me MYR89 (890 baht) for much the

same service as UBC was giving me for 2000baht.

Mind you Astro has a captive market with no alternative satellite TV or cable systems permitted.

Even the smallest kampong houses seem to have dishes.

I think UBC is very-overpriced. If you compare it to Sky Digital in the UK. The top packages are similarly-priced, but Sky has a few hundred channels, not 18.

The other thing I don't like is how the channels are layered. I like the Sky method of the basic package and you add movies and sports on. This meant I could cancel the sport in the summer, and not bother with the movies - I prefer renting. Here, you have to have everything - and the movie channels are beyond terrible - how many times can you watch Con-Air!!

and the movie channels are beyond terrible - how many times can you watch Con-Air!!

UBC can't control what HBO, etc., offers. Channel 53 "Movie Hits" isn't bad. I used to get frustrated by repeated movies until I got a DVR. Now I can record movies at any time of day and night and watch them when I feel like it. :o

Thailand is not England, imagine that Sky was in Thai only, and so only visiting Thais and Thais speaking locals were paying for EVERYTHING, including football broadcasts, HBO - all hundreds of channels. What would the price per viewer be?

UBC is not making any money.

Even if all Thais started speaking English tomorrow - what do they care about BBC Prime and Faulty Towers? Good, internationally attractive programs are hard to find.

What UBC can do is start charging per channel and per viewing, that way they might attract lots of new customers.

I ditched UBC a couple of years ago. I use a local cable company that supplies reasonably decent service and Western films for 800;- / month.

I only miss the EPL football, but prefer to watch that in the local pub anyway. :o