Yellow House Book -Tabian Baan

Hi all

Is anyone able to help with a question about obtaining the yellow tabian baan.

My situation is this. Im currently on a 12 month extension of stay on a non O visa. I obtained this because my daughter is Thai and I went through the court process of legitimising paternity and then registering this at the local amphur office. My partner (we are not married) is Thai and she is our daughters Mum. Both my partner and daughter are in the tabian baan for our house which is in my partners name.

My question is would any of this qualify me to be able to apply to have myself registered in a yellow tabian baan at our address.

Thanks in advance for any info

Precisely. In other words, not useless, ie it confirms your address.

I have no problem with confirming my address.

I had a big problem when I discovered the Amphur required a translation of my passport, certified by the MFA before they would consider issuing a yellow TB .

It was not worth the hassle/expense !

• Like 1

I would say that they are useful for buying transport, opening bank accs, etc. But every Amphore seems to have different rules about getting one, also the size of bribe that you have to pay to get the head Honchos signature on it varies enormously, eg. my Amphore, fairly straightforward document wise & a thousand baht bribe, my friends Amphore 40 Km away, a long list of documents & they actually want 10,000 bahts to do it....

Needless to say they are supposed to be free but TIT

• Like 2

I have just spent some time in hospital with a broken leg. It was a gravel tumble off my Phantom m/c , not serious, but uncomfortable. I was ble to cover costs with motorbike insurance. Part of the bureaucratic workload, including a police report was the requrement for a Tambien Baan. This has a registration number and everything, but everything revolved around that. So, in my view not just useful - essential.

• Like 2

I live just outside Buriram , go to your amphur office and fill out a couple of forms , take your lady or house owner with and you and blue book , pick up yellow book a couple of days later , as usual a couple of hundred baht tip goes a long way

For anyone to say it is "useless" knows nufink...............rolleyes.gif

Oh yes, when I had a few visits from the immigration BiB a couple of months back I pulled out my yellow book and their eyes lit up............Dee ma...........clap2.gif

• Like 1

The yellow book is far from useless,to say its useless is bulshit,and as regards bribe,in chiangmai NO WAY.I have one and both my brothers have one each,no problem and no bribe.Dont listen,just go ahead and see,take your GF with you and get the appropriate paperwork,takes a bit of time,you have to go to the office,perhaps 3,or 4 times and it should take about 3,to 4 weeks.Dont offer a bribe just pay the nominated fee,sign and walk away.It is very straight forward just time consuming,like most things here,im retired so no problem to wait.Its worth it.

Got mine in Khon Kaen in one day.

All quite simple.

Address document from Immigration.

Document from Police Station.

Back to Amphur to meet up with our Pyu Yai Baan as witness.

Yellow book issued within a few minutes.

• Like 2

I've had one for 6 years now and it is indeed of very little use. Extending DL.......they will still want a proof of residence from your local immigration, I tried by using the yellow tabien barn and they just wouldn't go for it.

Also on other occasions I've tried using it to no avail, pretty useless if u ask me.

Got mine while I waited at Ubon, but I did had my local head man in tow.....Book cost 20bht, head man bottle of whiskey and 500bht l think....tongue.png

Once you have it there is none of that letter stuff to get round for anything...Up to now...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Precisely. In other words, not useless, ie it confirms your address.

Also , should your wife or partner die it can be used as proof that you have been living together at the same address. This can come in useful if you have to contest your right to inherit the property or some share in it.

• Like 1

My first yellow book cost 10 baht but I think that was for the plastic cover. I've since moved and therefore had to "check out" of one area and into another. Didn't cost anything. Greeted with polite and very helpful staff all along the way. No tips/bribes expected or given.

• Like 2

Every foreigner is entitled to a House Book, regardless of marital status or owning/renting property.

The problem comes with the different requirements requested by the Amphurs.

You will almost definitely need your landlord or Pyu Yai Baan as witnesses and signatories.

Some remote Amphurs haven't got a clue what the requirements are, frightened to get in trouble for issuing such a book, and won't ask another Amphur for advice for fear of losing face. It should be a straight forward procedure........but TIT.

Good summary.

I was lucky with our Amphoe.

Just simple translations of passport and birth. cert. by a local translator.

Was surprised how easy it was after reading so many stories about nightmare at other offices.

If this makes a difference?:

Marriage cert. was offcially translated long ago, marriage registered at the Amphoe also about 10 years ago.

It proofed useful last time as proof of residence when applying for driving license.

Saved me a 200 km roundtrip to immigration.

But also: some DLTs will accept, others don't. TiT.

It was also useful for revenue department (interest tax return).

Easier for them to handle, all filed in Thai.

Another detail:

officially the nationality of your parents is entered in the book,

My birth. cert. does not supply that information.

Would have been very costly in time and expense to get documentation.

The officer didn't even ask about it, just entered "unknown".

• Like 1

It is only "useless" to the naysayers.

Getting mine was very easy, a few forms, a bit of chit chat with the guy at the amphur. No passport translation was needed.

Also no tea money paid. The only expense was a box of beer for the local headman to come vouch for me....and my wife and I helped drink the beer anyway.

It was "worth it" (whatever that nebulous phrase means) for me not to have to go to Immigration to get a residence certificate to renew driver licenses, and to register my motorbike and truck.

I will do a pre-emptive strike here for the coming response of "DLT in Pattaya does not accept the yellow tambien baan for drivers license"...<deleted> Pattaya, I am not in Pattaya.

• Like 2

what's the difference between blue book and yellow book?

I own my condo and have blue book and chanote in my name. Do I still need yellow book?

You are not registered in your blue book as living at your condo which means it does not serve as proof of residence like a yellow can be used for.

You cab apply for a yellow book at your local Amphoe.

Got mine in Khon Kaen in one day.

All quite simple.

Address document from Immigration.

Document from Police Station.

Back to Amphur to meet up with our Pyu Yai Baan as witness.

Yellow book issued within a few minutes.

Can I ask when you got book please very diffrent story from my experience in KK