Long-distance Walk (200-300 K) Originating CM - 30 Days - Never Been Outside CM - Help

WonderousWand

Let me say this tenderly: what you propose is a form of suicide that will have no charm whatsoever.

As an alternative to the over-the-bucking-balcony plunge, or the insult-a-group-of-lady-boys, stratagems, it falls flat, rather than splat, and low-so, rather than low-blow.

That you float such a boat in the shrunken Ping at this time is suggestive (assuming it's not a trollish excrescence) of intoxication with Thailand that reeks of narcissism; that state of rapture where the p*ss-pla-meuk-burri stink of the some of the low-down sois where grand-pa-white-whale-belly rallies for his last stand, smell to you like mixtures of 'Shalimar,' 'Obsession' and 'Opium' in duty-free shop samplers.

I have to go now, the black-ant multitudes need to be evicted from my morning soy-milk with as few casualties as possible.

If I had to go walking in this toxic-soup of heat-and-dust, I'd head higher: Doi Angklung, or Doi Mae Sarong.

But, don't let me discourage you with petty concern for your mortality; after all: "it's your party, and you can die if you want to."

cheers, ~o:37;

Thank you for your concern, Orang, however I am doing this walk to enjoy the experience, and be able to recall it.

After death, there is nothing to remember

I posted this post here to seek useful information, and it was not in vain I think, judging by a few of the previous comments.

I have trained in the past for some quite difficult races in the hot sun, in 38 degree weather.

Wearing a hat, one just gets hotter, since the head is where you find maximum blood flow.

I have seen people walking in Asia with one of those tiny parasols attached to the forehead, which might be a good idea,

However, I think that the type of straw hat worn in Thailand by those farmers who work in the fields under a very hot sun would be far better.

Some narcissism can be a good thing, of course.

Thank you for your input.

PS; If I had stated here in the original post that I was intending to walk from Chiang Mai to the top of Everest, then I would agree with you, it would be a bit trollis, and smack of flagrant narcissism, however, I think I only mentioned Chiang Rai, or maybe an even better easier walk..

Edited by WonderousWand

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Previously, a commentor mentioned the important subject of electrolyte replacement when exercising in the heat.

....................................snip.....................................However, regarding my thinking and experience, I usually just add extra salt to my food, and eat as much as I can, and assume that I have the nutrients that I need.

That assumption can kill you. The body uses various "salts" to create a condition in which electrical charges can jump (synapse) from the end of one nerve ending to the beginning of the next. That electrical charge needs a liquid with the proper salt concentration for conductivity. This action runs EVERYTHING in the human body. EVERYTHING. If the electrical charge can't make that jump, you don't breath, you don't move, your heart doesn't beat... you die.

The word "salt" has specific 'chemical' meaning, and there can be hundreds of 'salts,' but we commonly use it to mean Sodium Chloride, table salt. "Salt" is necessary... but only minimum amounts of Sodium salts that make up your table salt is needed. You need Potassium salts and Magnesium salts in MUCH higher ratios. Adding "salt" to your food doesn't give you these. As orang37 so elegantly put it... you gonna die....

Go to your nearest pharmacy and buy, for 6 baht, packets of electrolyte replacement powder. This is the same stuff that made Gatorade an effective sports drink, but without the massive sugar dump added to make Gatorade sell better. There is some glucose mixed in with the ERP but in minimal amounts. DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN TWO OF THESE PACKETS PER DAY. The idea is to balance your electrolyte levels, not spike them in either direction. Too much is as harmful as too little.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I dont have much to add to this but I too love walking! I have walked 25 km treks through bkk and used to walk 16 km a day when I was there....thanks for this thread...

I hope you keep us posted on your journey...and and as FOLKGUITAR said...I want to do this too!

I WOULD remind you about an extra pair of shoes

...and some balm for the blistering feet....

Chok dee mate.

>>I have walked 25 km treks through bkk and used to walk 16 km a day when I was there..<<....A great way to experience the City .I have walked from Lower Sukhumvit through China town to KSR and back .Only hassle was TukTuk drivers who were stopping to offer me a tour every 500 meters .

You are familiar with Chaing Mai but have only made one short journey ever ...by bus .Now you contemplate walking 300 km without a hat and little if no research .Perhaps medical treatment before your journey rather than after would be a good idea !!!

Surprisingly no-one has picked up on the 3,000 Baht budget for 30 days.

100 Baht/day for food, accommodation, water, sun-screen?

As a few guys have mentioned staying in wats, why not go the whole way?

Become a monk for a month, get up early, collect some food and cash in the morning, and walk from temple to temple?

Could quite possibly make a profit. thumbsup.gif Some monks even manage to afford private jets and Mercedes.

Another sleeping option is the schools, just be on your way before the kids arrive and you become the centre of attention,

"Oh, teacher, there's a Farang sleeping under my desk".

cheesy.gif

blah ... blah ... blah

Thank you for your concern, Orang, however I am doing this walk to enjoy the experience, and be able to recall it.

... Wearing a hat, one just gets hotter, since the head is where you find maximum blood flow.

... Some narcissism can be a good thing, of course.

... Thank you for your input.

PS; If I had stated here in the original post that I was intending to walk from Chiang Mai to the top of Everest, then I would agree with you, it would be a bit trollis, and smack of flagrant narcissism, however, I think I only mentioned Chiang Rai, or maybe an even better easier walk..

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Wondrous of the Wand,

I enjoyed your response; imho, the only state worse than dehydration in this climate-climacteric in Amazing T. is having a dried-out sense of humor ... and evidence of sense of humor is a contra-narcissism signifier.

I am impressed by your prior experience with racing (on foot, I assume) in 38C conditions.

Now, as to: "after death, there is nothing to remember;" well, that could have many levels of tilt, depending on how you looked at the wind-mill you were about to joust with. From a Zen/Chan non-perspective one might wonder if there ever was "anything" to remember; or, if memory is just another flavor of nothing. One can only respect your personal conclusion ,,, given the requirements of the experiment to reach said conclusion.

I find my memories after death so frequently lovely, that I can't imagine living without them (I am fully hydrated as i write this, but not hyponatremic, fyi). However, that is based on the unique (to me) singularity in which both this meat-package of human ("I"), and an escaped orangutan (number #37 in a private Bangkok zoo raided by police), both near death, meet in a cavernous hall in the under-construction Bangkok subway, and, dying in each other's arms, are resurrected, re-animated (in the human meat-form) as one Human/Orang dual soul-mind entity.

I note that in one post on this thread you did say, in the context of hat-wear: "I suppose I could use some tin foil, but would not consider it." I find that very reasonable. But, is it possible (given you mentioned 16 liters of water per day) that you are exhibiting psychogenic polydipsia syndrome ... that could account for delirium without implying narcissism ?

My understanding is that the standard, non-diseased, kidney can process about a liter of water per hour, and that amounts of water as low as 8 liters can cause collapse from hyponatremia (and/or fatality, if ingested quickly enough). So, one wonders, if you are out walking in ferocious heat, and drinking that much water, how many steps you would have to take before you needed to urinate.

Remember the myth of the Yaqui shaman, Don Juan, created in the clever jape (pandering to new-age air-heads) of academic anthropology perpetuated by Carlos Castenada ? One of the things that served to debunk the myth was Castenada's account of walking around (or flying) in the Sonoran desert for many hours. The extreme temps (often 120F+), and dryness, of that desert often kill unwise visitors within hours.

I really love the road between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai,it is very beautiful with many turns and great views.

I do applaud the Op for wanting to walk but you should do some planning,maybe do the trip by bus first and see where you can sleep/eat etc.

Or maybe you should not be doing it alone?Do you speak Thai?,that will sure come in handy if you need any (emergency) help.

You will need a place to charge your phone?Your budget is not very realistic but some one already mentioned that.

I did some great walks just by asking friends to drop me of somewhere and then walk home,you will learn a lot that way and it will help you plan.

AQI was 200 today. What plan do you have for a respirator? Walking in this horrible pollution?

You can't avoid dogs...........come on, get real....

OK, I KNEW someone was going to mention the pollution, however, as stated clearly above, I do not pay it no mind.

Seriously, it does not bother me, other than slight irritation of the throat.

Anyway, I smoke, so what is the difference?

I will quit smoking when I start, so it will even out, I guess.

The pollution, for me, is non-issue.

How to deal with the dogs I meet, is definitely an issue.

If you do not look them in the eye, then they still get irritated.

I could carry some meat along and throw it at them, I suppose.

I will carry a bamboo walking stick, but that might antagonize them more.

Bottom line, let us please not talk about pollution.

Carry some dog snacks from a shop rather than meat which will go off. The only risk is that soi dogs often don't know what do do with a manufactured dog snack and often just turn their noses up at it - preferring rice - just like Thais. If they look aggressive - just point your outstretched arm or brolly or stick at them - that often keeps them at bay - it's a Thai method.

You should get a cotton hat with a brim and soak it in water - that way when the water evaporates, it keeps your head cool and you can use it to wipe your face.

Take a phone with gps and in case of emergencies - use Sygic software. Google timeline allows you to automatically track your daily trips very well if u have an account.

good luck - an interesting adventure.

In this heat perhaps you should open another thread as a possible obituary.

With respect , although you like to walk without a hat and say the heat does not effect you ..... heat stroke can come on gradually without you noticing it and if that happens your budget will go right out the window.

Might be best to break into your budget and invest in a hat before you set out. If the cost is prohibitive you could at least use a handkerchief knotted in the four corners to stop your brain frying.

Given what he intends to undertake without any knowledge or foresight, then don't worry about anything to stop the brain frying, it already is.

Edited by Si Thea01

check out crazyguyonabike buy yourself a cheap bike and do 1000 km, much more sensible easy to get between stops, slow enough to see everything, stop when you want,

I second that, bicycle a lot easier on your feet, and you can cover enough distance to get from town to town in a day.

Most things have been addressed, hydration, food, etc.

I would advise a few "day trips" (for lack of a better term) before going on the extended walkabout. For example, walk out for one day, find your place to stay for the night, walk back the next day. Do a few of those, in different directions.

Then try a triangular route....start from A, first day go to B and overnight, second day go to C and overnight, next day return to A. This will help you condition for longer times on the road, as well as getting you some experience in "foraging"....finding a place to stay, wash out your clothes and yourself, etc.

After a few of those, then you might be ready for the extended trip.

Walking 15K a day is good...but as was mentioned, you are returning to your base every day. That is much different than being on the road for an extended tour.

All that said, I have to say I am a bit envious...I have long considered doing an extended walking tour of <somewhere>. I almost did so several years ago while on sabbatical from a previous employer (we received a six-week sabbatical every four years, in addition to normal yearly holidays). Time constraints and other commitments prevented me from doing the walkabout then...too bad, I was 22 years younger and it not doubt would have been much easier.

My understanding is that the standard, non-diseased, kidney can process about a liter of water per hour, and that amounts of water as low as 8 liters can cause collapse from hyponatremia (and/or fatality, if ingested quickly enough). So, one wonders, if you are out walking in ferocious heat, and drinking that much water, how many steps you would have to take before you needed to urinate.

Interesting you should mention this, yesterday morning I was foolish enough to cycle from the moat to Puping Palace.

Just under 2 hours, 18Km, drank 3.5 liters of water on the way up, two electrolyte sachets, no urinating for the whole day.

Couldn't drink enough in the entire day to replace the water loss through sweat.

Recovered by the evening.

That was 2 hours, imagine the effect of walking all day in 40c?

Edited by BritManToo

Previously, a commentor mentioned the important subject of electrolyte replacement when exercising in the heat.

....................................snip.....................................However, regarding my thinking and experience, I usually just add extra salt to my food, and eat as much as I can, and assume that I have the nutrients that I need.

That assumption can kill you. The body uses various "salts" to create a condition in which electrical charges can jump (synapse) from the end of one nerve ending to the beginning of the next. That electrical charge needs a liquid with the proper salt concentration for conductivity. This action runs EVERYTHING in the human body. EVERYTHING. If the electrical charge can't make that jump, you don't breath, you don't move, your heart doesn't beat... you die.

The word "salt" has specific 'chemical' meaning, and there can be hundreds of 'salts,' but we commonly use it to mean Sodium Chloride, table salt. "Salt" is necessary... but only minimum amounts of Sodium salts that make up your table salt is needed. You need Potassium salts and Magnesium salts in MUCH higher ratios. Adding "salt" to your food doesn't give you these. As orang37 so elegantly put it... you gonna die....

Go to your nearest pharmacy and buy, for 6 baht, packets of electrolyte replacement powder. This is the same stuff that made Gatorade an effective sports drink, but without the massive sugar dump added to make Gatorade sell better. There is some glucose mixed in with the ERP but in minimal amounts. DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN TWO OF THESE PACKETS PER DAY. The idea is to balance your electrolyte levels, not spike them in either direction. Too much is as harmful as too little.

I do not disagree with your statement. This is why I stated above that I am eating like a horse, with two meal for breakfast with plenty of vegetables and two helpings of PadGraPaoGai, two plates of it, in fact.

Then, a few hours later, I have two helpings of PadGrapaoMu, and a few eggs. At night, I eat one large steamed cabbage, taken cold, and lots of water.

I assume that I have enough of the various salts you speak of entering my body to do the trick.

I have never done any long distance walking, so I do not know for sure.

I have been doing about 13 kilometers per day, at 6 KPH, with half of the distance using hill repetitions of have a kilometer.

It is OK for an old man, but I grant you that my legs are not strong enough, yet.

By the way, if you are the guy who has done all that trekking in the USA, then I tip my cap to you, or I will when I find one.

Edited by WonderousWand

Consider this ingenious time proven head adornment....lets your brain breath while keeping the sun off your head - good luck - wai2.gif

....well, you are going to need more than luck.....do take what 'FOLK GUITAR' says with more than a grain of salt.

The Samoeng-Loop will be your best foot forward - perfect in all regards to your suggested requirements.......Again - ChoK-Dee !

post-129987-0-12339100-1461137246_thumb.

Edited by HaleySabai

A few tips.....

1. Wear a mask. Even the disposable 3M ones availble in most pharmacies make a big difference. A clean one each day.
  2. Carry a stick for dogs. An expandable selfie stick used for cameras does the trick just as well and is collapsible.
  3. Plastic coke bottles are not meant to be reused more than once or twice. They break down and leak harmful chemicals into your water. The heat will likely exacerbate this. Either change bottles every couple of days, or get a 2 litre purpose made bladder you can put in your bag.
  4. Take a torch with spare batteries
  5. If your phone battery can't last at least 2 days with normal use, make sure you have a battery pack with which to charge it. Chances are you will be referring to the GPS a lot.

blah ... blah ... blah

... Wearing a hat, one just gets hotter, since the head is where you find maximum blood flow.

... Some narcissism can be a good thing, of course.

... Thank you for your input.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Wondrous of the Wand,

I enjoyed your response; imho, the only state worse than dehydration in this climate-climacteric in Amazing T. is having a dried-out sense of humor ... and evidence of sense of humor is a contra-narcissism signifier.

I am impressed by your prior experience with racing (on foot, I assume) in 38C conditions.

Now, as to: "after death, there is nothing to remember;" well, that could have many levels of tilt, depending on how you looked at the wind-mill you were about to joust with. From a Zen/Chan non-perspective one might wonder if there ever was "anything" to remember; or, if memory is just another flavor of nothing. One can only respect your personal conclusion ,,, given the requirements of the experiment to reach said conclusion.

I find my memories after death so frequently lovely, that I can't imagine living without them (I am fully hydrated as i write this, but not hyponatremic, fyi). However, that is based on the unique (to me) singularity in which both this meat-package of human ("I"), and an escaped orangutan (number #37 in a private Bangkok zoo raided by police), both near death, meet in a cavernous hall in the under-construction Bangkok subway, and, dying in each other's arms, are resurrected, re-animated (in the human meat-form) as one Human/Orang dual soul-mind entity.

I note that in one post on this thread you did say, in the context of hat-wear: "I suppose I could use some tin foil, but would not consider it." I find that very reasonable. But, is it possible (given you mentioned 16 liters of water per day) that you are exhibiting psychogenic polydipsia syndrome ... that could account for delirium without implying narcissism ?

Remember the myth of the Yaqui shaman, Don Juan, created in the clever jape (pandering to new-age air-heads) of academic anthropology perpetuated by Carlos Castenada ? One of the things that served to debunk the myth was Castenada's account of walking around (or flying) in the Sonoran desert for many hours. The extreme temps (often 120F+), and dryness, of that desert often kill unwise visitors within hours.

Not on foot, and I have not raced on foot, unless you can call crosscountry track a race.

I raced shells, eights, and the big international races sometimes happen in July.

I was only pointing out that I do not have no experience in training in the heat. We would row 12 miles without a break, in the Philadelphia humid heat of the summer. Ted Nash was a slave driver.

He used to whip his oarsman like they were galley slaves, all the while riding along in little motorboat with megaphone.

We would run up and down stadium steps and the hills near Strawberry Mansion.

The coaches almost killed me.

I am not afraid of death now!

Haha!

Don't forget the weight of those extra condoms and the small bottle of Mekong whisky ☺.

Also if you take your hat off, and sunnies off, the dogs are more friendly. PLUS the big stick you carry always works. ?

Good advice about dogs and hats, I think. I have noticed that dogs object to old men in hats, and so I do not wear one.

I just do not know if the dog is intimidated by the stick, or might be goaded to attack by a stick, thinking that I look more a threat.

Probably, dogs back off if they think one is not weak.

They will attack a cripple, for sure, in some cases.

I have also seen Asians throw shoes at dogs, and the dogs are terrified if they see someone pick up a shoe.

I do not drink, anything but water would be wasted liquid weight.

I might take some condoms to keep my phone dry.

It is amazing how they stretch and still stay intact and water tight, so thank you for this reminder. Great idea.

Today, I bought some new Nike shoes at 40 percent off, due to the color and size.

They are beautiful, and I would post them here, but I do not want you guys to think you recognize me if you see me out training.

Edited by WonderousWand

Well done WW.....My grandmother took up walking five miles a day when she was nearly 60.

She's in her 80s now, .... and we don't know where the hell she is.'.................................coffee1.gif

Same story with Jim Thompson, I think.

Jim graduated, also, from Penn, then went to Princeton.

If he had not gone to Princeton, then he probably would not have gotten lost in the jungle.

Talk'n bout mongrel-mutts.... expect to encounter these things every 200m in populated areas. For me,this K-9 nuisance is what takes the enjoyment out of a simply walkabout here.

My 6yr.old daughter was bitten in our Soi by a local dog,for no reason other than what we figured to be jealousy.She had to endure 8 shoots over a period of time and will have a permanent bite scare on her butt. It cost the "owner" over 4,000baht. If I was able to have caught the dog(medium-sized husky) at the time I was more than prepared to kill it on the spot.

I was absolutely furious with both the owner who mindlessly lets this mixed breed mongrel run a muck in the soi and a dog that I knew one day would inflict grief on someone.

Since then the owner/neighbor ties the snarling monster up,occasionally it gets loose,I made it clear that if his dog ever comes in my yard I will kill it.

I used to like dogs until living in this part of the world.

Sounds like you have some strategies to deal with this inevitable menace...you'll need them.

Since I can't buy bear-spray here I make my own and carry a spray bottle with me when out. I only have to tag a dog once and it won't come near me again.

Happy Trails

Talk'n bout mongrel-mutts.... expect to encounter these things every 200m in populated areas. For me,this K-9 nuisance is what takes the enjoyment out of a simply walkabout here.

My 6yr.old daughter was bitten in our Soi by a local dog,for no reason other than what we figured to be jealousy.She had to endure 8 shoots over a period of time and will have a permanent bite scare on her butt. It cost the "owner" over 4,000baht. If I was able to have caught the dog(medium-sized husky) at the time I was more than prepared to kill it on the spot.

I was absolutely furious with both the owner who mindlessly lets this mixed breed mongrel run a muck in the soi and a dog that I knew one day would inflict grief on someone.

Since then the owner/neighbor ties the snarling monster up,occasionally it gets loose,I made it clear that if his dog ever comes in my yard I will kill it.

I used to like dogs until living in this part of the world.

Sounds like you have some strategies to deal with this inevitable menace...you'll need them.

Since I can't buy bear-spray here I make my own and carry a spray bottle with me when out. I only have to tag a dog once and it won't come near me again.

Happy Trails

Same with dogs and skunks. Once sprayed, dogs learn fast.

Probably you can find some Medical Grade capsaicin, which is used to treat nerve damage in cream form

It is much more powerful than anything contained in a chili.

But I don't want to hurt the dogs, I just want them not to threaten me, and let me pass.

Some of the dogs I have seen around villages are quite giant sized, and dangerous.

And, the problem is that no one seems to care when I am cornered.

I have not tried one of those air horns in a can which I used on yachts in the past.

Those are plenty loud. I never worry on city streets, it is only off the beaten path.

Regarding sticks, people here are talking about collapsible sticks, however, it is better to just carry a length of bamboo, because you can swing it around while you walk and less boring.

I used to walk in the hills in another country where I lived, and it really is more fun to walk with a bamboo stick about 2cm in diameter.

Once you do, you won't want to leave home without it.

Years ago, I wondered why, in old films, you used to see men walking around with a walking stick, but you just don't know until you try it.

If you do not have one after your used to one, then you somehow feel there is something missing.

I know, it sounds like I am joking, but still true.

You cannot just cut a length of bamboo and have it work right immediately.

You gotta use it and wait for it to turn brown and smooth with use..

It is a real loss when you lose your favorite bamboo walking stick.

Please do not scoff at this; Anyone who likes to walk with one will tell you that I speak the truth.

And that is why we see the walking stick in so many old films.

People used to identify with the experience.

Very few people do much serious walking, these days, or we would see plenty more men with sticks, out and about, similar to about 80 years ago.

About 15 years ago, I used to live on a mountain, and it was 12 kilometers and about 450 meters in elevation down a steep road to the nearest store.

Three times a week, instead of driving, I would walk down to buy about 10 kilograms of stuff, and then return home.

In the summer, it was about 37 degrees, and 100 percent humidity. That was difficult.

Chiang Mai, by comparison, is not humid, and much easier to walk a hard climb.

Edited by WonderousWand

WW...it's good that people are offering you advice - both good and bad - but you go for it mate. I admire your spirit and I hope you enjoy it. You are in Thailand and so long as you can speak a bit of thai you'll be fine. Food and drink stops are everywhere, people are yaidee, wats and other places will put you up, if you're struggling a bit then flag down a car or bus and I'm sure they'll stop.

Be sure to post back on the success and enjoyment of your walk!

We would row 12 miles without a break, in the Philadelphia humid heat of the summer. Ted Nash was a slave driver. He used to whip his oarsman like they were galley slaves, all the while riding along in little motorboat with megaphone.

One of the requirements of being a successful rowing coach is being a demented slave driver. The head of my high school was a teammate of Nash in the crew that won the gold in Rome in 1960 yet he wasn't the crew coach, not demented enough.

We would row 12 miles without a break, in the Philadelphia humid heat of the summer. Ted Nash was a slave driver. He used to whip his oarsman like they were galley slaves, all the while riding along in little motorboat with megaphone.

One of the requirements of being a successful rowing coach is being a demented slave driver. The head of my high school was a teammate of Nash in the crew that won the gold in Rome in 1960 yet he wasn't the crew coach, not demented enough.

Did you go to Bonner?

Bonner had a great high school crew. (Monsignor Bonner)

The Irish are great rowers because it is basically just sitting down and going backwards.

Nash had a HUGE Megaphone, as I recall.

The Coxes all had tiny ones, but still plenty loud if you were sitting right in front of them.

Edited by WonderousWand

Interesting you should mention this, yesterday morning I was foolish enough to cycle from the moat to Puping Palace.

Just under 2 hours, 18Km, drank 3.5 liters of water on the way up, two electrolyte sachets, no urinating for the whole day.

Couldn't drink enough in the entire day to replace the water loss through sweat.

Recovered by the evening.

That was 2 hours, imagine the effect of walking all day in 40c?

I am no cyclist, however reviewing the posts here, this one stood out.

In my view, if you are not pissing while exercising, then you are definitely not drinking enough water.

I am no expert but I have always drunk as much as I could before exercise in the heat.

I can down about 3 or 4 liters easy in the morning before I even set out.

Then I keep drinking a half liter every 15 minutes.

My problem, often is that I can't find a toilet when I need it, because either they are locked or they are too far in between.

So my thinking is that if you find that you are not urinating every hour or so, then you gotta drink more.

If you do, then I think you probably will not have much of a problem, and you will feel better.

You should not be wiped out after exercise unless you are doing wind sprints as training.

If you read about soldiers in the field, during maneuvers in the desert, then you will see that they drink PLENTY more than a measly 4 liters in 2 hours.

I don't use drinking glasses because they are just too small.

I bought some Cuizimate PE Jars, and I use those. The large one holds 1330 ml, and I drink a few of those before I go out at noon to walk my 13 K.

This saves weight, because then I can just carry one liter, and i do not get thirsty until I reach the next watering hole.

You are not drinking enough!

IMHO

Anyone wishing to know more about hydration might find this scholarly article of interest:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:p0y9OrURftkJ:www.usariem.army.mil/assets/docs/publications/articles/2010/HydrationPDF.pdf+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=th

Water Requirement and Soldier Hydration

Walking at 3.5 MPH, surface, no load, is considered Hard Work and demands 1 quart per hour.

But if you are climbing hills, and walking at 4 MPH, you need more.

Studies on soldiers working in the desert1 clearly demonstrate that the

majority of daily fluid intake occurs at mealtime. As illustrated in Figure

7, soldiers working in the heat voluntarily dehydrated themselves during

work periods, but made up the water deficit during mealtime. this same

pattern of drinking has since been confirmed by others.10,11 this obser-

vation is important because meals are a valuable time for rehydration

and maintenance of fluid balance (Figures 7 and 8). they also provide

a source of solutes to offset the electrolytes lost during perspiration. As

discussed previously, if missing solutes are not replaced, complete rehy-

dration cannot be achieved

ePlenty more nuggets in the article regarding Soldiers in harsh environments, elecrolytes, rehydration, which seems well researched by a bunch of PhDs in the Army.

So, eat well, and drink water.

Seems simple.

• Walking on hard surface at 2.5 mph, no load
surface at 3.5 mph

Some commentor just above this one seems to think I might be loony for walking without a hat in the hot sun, something about frying my brain, and why not walk in the shade, etc.

But you guys just do not understand me.

Earlier today, I walked 15 Kilometers from 11am to about 3pm,

I did not do it for fun, but I had to visit the Phra Sing Post Office to try to trace a lost return-to-sender package.

I was going at about 6 KPH, and just passing the Neurological Surgical Center on Suthep Road, when I got hit by a runner coming up behind me on the left side.

As usual, I was walking in the road, not the sidewalk, because the sidewalk is way too bumpy.

This other Farang was also running in the street, probably for the same reason.

He was not just jogging, he was going like a bat out of hell, and I think he might have been doing a 4 minute mile or something.

He was wearing a Bright Neon Orange shirt, and he had on those real thin track shoes.

He was really moving and did not stop to say, "pardon me", or Kaw Taud Krap, at all.

He was moving so fast that I could hardly hear him by the time he was 10 or 15 meters ahead of me waving his arm high in the air and calling out SORRY, without even turning to look back.

Then he zoomed across that road that I always have a hard time crossing due to the endless procession of cars that never slow down.

I dont know how he made it across, but he did not slow down for anything.

Does anyone know this guy?

He wears bright orange, real track shoes, and does not stop for anything.

Maybe he will read this and post a proper apology, or something.

I wish him well, I like to see that I am not the only crazy around here in CM.

He is really a great runner!

Might be one of those new AI Google Robots, though.

Anyway, I really admire this guy for running in the road at noon.

Very logical in my view.

Edited by WonderousWand

In this heat perhaps you should open another thread as a possible obituary.

With respect , although you like to walk without a hat and say the heat does not effect you ..... heat stroke can come on gradually without you noticing it and if that happens your budget will go right out the window.

Might be best to break into your budget and invest in a hat before you set out. If the cost is prohibitive you could at least use a handkerchief knotted in the four corners to stop your brain frying.

OK, good advice.

I will use a straw hat.

But, you probably know, the straw hats don't stay on well.

I suppose I could use some tin foil, but would not consider it.

I will take a hat, agreed.

Tin foil? Sorry, but you are taking the piss....you got me laughing anyway, good luck with that, you loony toon...555

Laughs are invaluable, these days, and I am happy if I was able to provide you one.

If everyone were less fashion conscious and more practical, then we would all be using some sort of hat made of aluminum.

Everyone knows that the coolest houses are those which have tin roofs, just look around.

They are more costly, but they make up for the initial expense by reducing energy costs.

If I were walking in an unpopulated area, in the sun, I probably would create a broad brimmed straw hat with an aluminum reflective coating on it.

That way, the hat could still breath, but the majority of the surface area would be reflective, and shield me from radiation of the sun.

No doubt it has been tried before, but I have not seen any around Chiang Mai.

So what date are you setting off?

Moving my stuff into a temporary location on the 25th.

Then, as many comments above wisely suggested, I will go around the loop a few times, and see what happens.

I actually had not thought about doing that until I posted this post.

Whoever suggested staring with the Loop is a smart guy.

Hopefully, I will not get bored.

Maybe I will post a few images, if there is anything to see.

Then, we will see.