Rising stray dog population in Thailand poses health concern

webfact

Rising stray dog population poses health concern

488_dog-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Stray dog population in Thailand is rising and is expected to reach 3.4 million in near future, posing health concern to the urban people, particularly rabies virus infection.

According to the latest survey of stray dog population by the Department of Livestock Development in 2014, there were more than 700,000 stray dogs in the country.

Of these, 370,000 were male.

In Bangkok alone, there were more than 100,000 stray dogs, and 600,000 dogs legally registered by owners.

However, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration could only implant 70,000 dogs with microchips.

But most of these stray dogs have not been sterilized.

What was worrying was that one female dog regularly gives birth to more than 10 puppies per year.

This raises the possibility that the total number of stray dogs in Thailand in the foreseeable future could actually be as high as 3,400,000.

The rising number of stray dogs has raised concerns over the possible outbreak of rabies especially during the summer months.

Even more worrying are statistics that show that of all the dogs found sick or ill in the entire country, 90% have rabies.

Furthermore, 60% of the animals afflicted with rabies are strays which poses a real public hazard.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160265

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-20

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry stray dogs. This problem has been known for a very long time and no one seems to be willing to do anything about it.

Nobody is willing to do anything about anything in Thailand. The country just potters along stumbling from one disaster to another.

I think the stray dogs matter is way down the pecking order as there is no angle to make (BIG) money out of these wretched hounds.

The western and Thai opinion of how to deal with strays is the complete opposite. Thais think the dogs should be allowed to roam around and be free. Even if they are dying painfully, let them die naturally. Most westerners think they should be put down.

I'm not saying which one is right or wrong, but something has to be done about these dogs.

"Even more worrying are statistics that show that of all the dogs found sick or ill in the entire country, 90% have rabies".

How many dogs are found sick?

Bit pointless putting a percentage on an unknown number, unless it is for scaremongering purposes only......................wink.png

As much of a dog lover that I am, when the dog population reaches a certain point where they are riddled by disease and starvation, it is probably better to humanely euthanize those afflicted. It is a better fate than being hauled to Vietnam and China only to be brutally beaten to death to appease the appetites of people who have other sufficient sources of food.

The number of male dogs doesn't really matter, since you only need one male (albeit a strong and horny one) to impregnate as many females as they can, and then move on to greener pastures. Not sure if that is the nature of the dog, or did they learn it by observing the males of the general population?

Edited by jaltsc

There some people who love dogs and are wiling to help if the government have some support ,many are helping this dogs by give them some food for example but for neutering female dog the cost can go up to 2500 bath or more per each because they will have to keep them at the hospital a few days or week after the surgery.

That amount of money for Thai can be very difficult , also they have to pay for transportation .. even if there are some non government support but there are not always available.

In my office area for an example , we have many dogs for many generations keep having 6-10 pubs every time they give birth ... and many of the pubs are female and it go on and on for many many years.
The lady at the Esarn street food shop , the motorbike taxi drivers ,7/11 staff and some people who working around here are always give them some food and sometimes look for free doctor to come for vaccine but as they don't have that much money to help any more than that so the problem were there for long time.

A few months ago me and some office workers then help gathering some money so we manage to neutering all the female and give away all the pups .. so the dogs that are remaining in this area is start to be more healthy and we can be more relax to not having too many stray dogs .. now they are lay around 7/11 during the day and chicken street vendor during the evening .. most of them are a little chubby but that is way better than being boney with nothing to eat.

I think if they government give help such as cost for neutering and vaccine and make it easy to access help by those like us here in this area then the problem will be much more easy to solve.

Just hoping they will do it some day soon though ... not just start to put them to the shelter where they will die in a dirty cage , lack of food , no human to give them love and no freedom.

Several years ago in our area, we had no dog problems. A pickup truck that we called the bucket truck gave people a plastic bucket for each unwanted dog. Then a group of bleeding heart farangs pressured the government to outlaw these trucks. They went so far as to raid the collection points. The bleeding hearts had not thought where the funds would come from to feed these dogs and thousands of them starved to death. Now the farmers are left to their own means to control the dogs. It's not a nice thing to see dogs poisoned and killed in even worse ways. I happen to be a dog lover but would rather see these dogs humanely killed for food than being starved and poisoned.

Rise in rabies cases warned in Bangkok and adjacent provinces

dog-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The rise in rabies cases in Thailand is now posing concern for public health officials as laboratorial tests of dog heads showed positive to rabies virus, contradicting to the Ministry of Public Health's campaign that intends to make all province free of rabies cases.

Under such campaign, some authorities are reluctant to report rabies cases of their provinces to the Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases of the Faculty of Medicines of Chulalongkorn University for laboratory tests in order to fulfill the campaign.

According to Prof Dr Thirawat Hemajuta, director of the centre, laboratory tests found more rabies virus on dog heads sent for examinations.

But what was a concern was that the virus was found to spread in Bangkok, adjacent provinces, and also scattering in many provinces across the country.

He said the centre was worried because less cases were reported or sent for laboratory tests, contradicting to what the real situation is happening now.

This was attributed to the ministry’s rabies free zone campaign, he said.

This campaign caused authorities to report less rabies cases or ask for laboratory test in case of death.

He said this has prevented health officials from entering the communities for vaccination to prevent the spread of the virus.

He also said what he was worried was that rabies cases may rise from 10 cases a year to 20 or to 50 because of no reporting which as a consequence will weaken the present virus monitoring system.

For example, he said if there is one death rabies case, there need to keep others under monitoring system who could have contacted the victim.

He said rabies virus won’t spread immediately but may take 3-5 months to develop and spread.

Rabies virus can spread not only in hot season, but also in rainy season.

He said he wished not to see what happened in China 10 years ago happened in Thailand when China could fully control the disease, but five years later emerged and spread again.

All the 5,000-6,000 rabies patients were all dead, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160271

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-20

they are a bloody nuisance in my soi, shitting everywhere,aggressive, roaming the streets, barking all <deleted> night long, and all the male dogs have still got their balls, nothing will ever get done, the only worse place i know for dogs was India.

Several years ago in our area, we had no dog problems. A pickup truck that we called the bucket truck gave people a plastic bucket for each unwanted dog. Then a group of bleeding heart farangs pressured the government to outlaw these trucks. They went so far as to raid the collection points. The bleeding hearts had not thought where the funds would come from to feed these dogs and thousands of them starved to death. Now the farmers are left to their own means to control the dogs. It's not a nice thing to see dogs poisoned and killed in even worse ways. I happen to be a dog lover but would rather see these dogs humanely killed for food than being starved and poisoned.

About 10 years ago the same thing happened on Phuket. The Governor at the time was quietly having the dogs disappear and it was noticeable by all living there..

In comes 2 vets from Australia and stuff-up the disappearing acts... They then started to de-sex dogs but it of course, did no good.

I had to go to their office one day and I let them know that they should mind their business as the dog problem was being handled very well by the Government.

Why oh why, do other people, who do not live here, have to interfere in the affairs of another country... Yes, the dog problem will only get worse and worse...now that it is a crime to kill the bloody things.. What idiot bought in that law where the street dog is above that of a humane being?

Edited by tagalong

We should all give 100 bht to animal hospitals every year this should be compulsory for everyone living in Thailand over 18yrs of age. Or better still as most can not afford this small amount, charge Llong term guests to Thailand. Let's say 200 bht every time they go imagration for whatever reason. That way all provinces will get money and help vets deal with dogs

They all need to be put down!!

No, you need to be put down. Every so called soi dog has someone who regularly feeds it, even the rough looking mangy ones have a looker after. People don't buy dogs much as they do back home but instead help out the dog that turns up on their street or doorstep. It's the same with cats. A few people will buy a puppy from JJ market or a local pet shop or from a well known breeder or from a person they know who has puppies for sale. These dogs are usually the small yapping variety.

As for population control, there are many ways to castrate dogs cheaply such as using an elastic band method. As for disease such as dog poo blinding children, down my local soi we have signs fines for fowling the pavement, and the local pet hospital visits the area once every 3 months giving free injections. The most worrying of diseases is rabies.

We should all give 100 bht to animal hospitals every year this should be compulsory for everyone living in Thailand over 18yrs of age. Or better still as most can not afford this small amount, charge Llong term guests to Thailand. Let's say 200 bht every time they go imagration for whatever reason. That way all provinces will get money and help vets deal with dogs

How about a bounty of 100 baht for every dead dog . will help the poor raise some cash and get rid of these disease ridden filthy dogs.

There are some things done but it cost a lot of money in a country where the average worker has less than 300 Baht a day. Last year my students administrated about 500 rabies vaccine shots to dogs, total cost for the college was over 100,000 Baht. If you are living outside BKK and have a dog then look if/when there is a "Fix It Center" that's when colleges under OVEC repair things, vaccinate dogs and so on for free.

Certainly a problem………..

However, consider the plight of the policeman who killed one to defend himself and his wife!!! Rest assured, nothing will be done……….. Thai's like it that way…………. Moreover, dogs with owners also roam the streets, nipping at the backs of your legs, barking, etc. This is Thai culture!!

Don't worry stray dogs. This problem has been known for a very long time and no one seems to be willing to do anything about it.

Nobody is willing to do anything about anything in Thailand. The country just potters along stumbling from one disaster to another.

I think the stray dogs matter is way down the pecking order as there is no angle to make (BIG) money out of these wretched hounds.

Export to Vietnam and China could be a lucrative operation of organized on some scale ;-)

They all need to be put down!!

No, you need to be put down. Every so called soi dog has someone who regularly feeds it, even the rough looking mangy ones have a looker after. People don't buy dogs much as they do back home but instead help out the dog that turns up on their street or doorstep. It's the same with cats. A few people will buy a puppy from JJ market or a local pet shop or from a well known breeder or from a person they know who has puppies for sale. These dogs are usually the small yapping variety.

As for population control, there are many ways to castrate dogs cheaply such as using an elastic band method. As for disease such as dog poo blinding children, down my local soi we have signs fines for fowling the pavement, and the local pet hospital visits the area once every 3 months giving free injections. The most worrying of diseases is rabies.

Agree with most of the points you make, but nobody has yet opined that Thais look after dogs the same way they look after everything.

With the same general result.

not entirely correct, the dogs filled out a survey in 2014.... woof

Stray dogs will be required to advise the registration number of the vehicle that so cruelly just drove off and to confirm which temple they are registered at. Use of social media can be by I Pad only so not required.

Export to Vietnam and China could be a lucrative operation of organized on some scale ;-)

There was a successful trade doing just that, but the dog huggers got in the way.

Laotians eat the mutts as well.....

You do not have a stray dog problem in the islam dominated areas of southern Thailand.

I completely fail to see the dog-huggers point of view.

I can only guess that they live in isolated compounds with large gates and sound proof windows, never walk or ride bicycles or motorbikes, but travel from A to B inside of airconned SUV's peering out through the tinted windows,

"oh, look, there's a nice doggy".

Maybe if they were made to walk past vacant lots and cycle down sois with with packs of rabid animals they might change their opinion.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Hey yeah!!!...here's an idea....Put an extra charge on peoples Airline ticket, when they purchase a ticket to come to Thailand......biggrin.png

I would happily donate 1000Bht if I knew it was to assist in the bulk buy of shots to euthanize all confirmed strays suffering rabies infection and/or Lyme disease etc. In addition any dog known to have bitten anyone in a public place regardless of circumstance. I disagree with those who say Thai have an opposite view to Western attitude in general. The basic problem is the denial of social responsibilty which extends way beyond the question of (my dog had pups but I dropped them off down the road) dogs !

If dogs had to be registered to an owner or face removal as a stray the numbers would drop significantly within 12 months .

I have a dog. He is dirty, ugly, but he is a good and loyal dog. Also neutered for 500 Bht. And he eventually seems to have forgiven me for that .. and his collar.biggrin.png