The frustration of trying to sell a successful business

simon43

I'm not sure but I get the impression that Simon does not even have a WP.

I do not need a WP because I don't work smile.png

I 'own' the business and sign company documents only when I'm outside of Thailand. Being on-site and drinking beer is not 'work' by any definition that the Thai Labour office applies. Most days, I spend an hour or 2 doing my TPV work in this area (visiting other hotels, checking on the airport etc). The police have graciously advised everyone that TPVs do not need WPs to work as TPVs smile.png

I live in Thailand using a Thailand Elite visa. But as LiK says, employing a non-Thai manager is not as easy as it sounds (re getting a WP in Phuket). I really need to employ a Thai 'morning manager' who can speak good English.

Elite card and TVP work cuts you a lot of slack. But a close look at your business might be a problem. You rightly and carefuly say you only sign documents outside Thailand ? That must be lead to some travel expenses.

I really don't care - good luck to you if you can pull it off ...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But a close look at your business might be a problem

Going off-topic, but I don't see why there should be any problems. I'm all up-to-date with paying taxes, local taxes, hotel licencing etc etc.

I will say that were there any 'issues' with the business, I'd probably have a problem if my business were in Patong or Pattaya or next door to a Thai competitor. Being away from the 'smoke' is probably a bonus.

The travel outside of Thailand is not that expensive, I combine these trips with my ham radio hobby to operate my ham gear for a few days from Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia etc.

But a close look at your business might be a problem

Going off-topic, but I don't see why there should be any problems. I'm all up-to-date with paying taxes, local taxes, hotel licencing etc etc.

I will say that were there any 'issues' with the business, I'd probably have a problem if my business were in Patong or Pattaya or next door to a Thai competitor. Being away from the 'smoke' is probably a bonus.

The travel outside of Thailand is not that expensive, I combine these trips with my ham radio hobby to operate my ham gear for a few days from Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia etc.

C'mon Simon ... you admit you need to 'liase/associate' with your guests. If you run into an unhelpful Immigration officer you could easily be deported very fast, I guess I am much in your 'owner' situation, but I personaly have known 2 guys who where reported to Immigration (one a medium size hotel manager the other a developement partner) and both were deported in quick order. Made me get a WP.

Edited by LivinginKata

one a medium size hotel manager the other a development partner

I am sure that the immigration department could make life hard for any foreigner, if they so wish.But I am not a hotel manager :) If you spend a day at my hotel, you'd see that it is the Thai staff who manage the business on a day-to-day basis. (The hotel is busiest at night and I'm not even on-site during that period).

Where the problem lies is in their lack of fluency in English.

Do I chat with guests? Yes I do, and I see nothing wrong with that as owner of the business. In many cases, what I chat about is completely within my remit as a TPV. (I chat with many guests from other hotels and travellers at the airport and Nai Yang beach about the same subjects).

This topic is not for me to justify what I do or don't do at my hotel. Discussion has made me realise that if I do not sell up, then an English-speaking,morning manager will go a long way to help the situation.

Why English speaking, wouldn't Chinese speaking be better?

Why chinese speaking?

Only big hotels that have contracts with the chinese tour operators cater to chinese. I doubt this small place can accomodate a complete busload of guests.

Why chinese speaking?

Only big hotels that have contracts with the chinese tour operators cater to chinese. I doubt this small place can accomodate a complete busload of guests.

Because that is what Simon is telling us all the time is his market: Chinese.

Yes, the ability to speak English AND Chinese would be much more useful. My market is not Chinese tourists - but by default, if I want to have a successful business, I must cater to Chinese tourists, (thanks to the wonderful marketing success of TAT etc). I would much prefer the little hotel full of Westerners, but now it is a mix of Chinese and mostly French guests.

Don, it started with 4 rooms, now has 8, with 3 more being built.

Where did u get that photo 'unhappy' TPVs? Why can't everyone smile a bit more? :)

Get a person to run it and buy it out. If they miss any payments take it back......

sort of into the frying pan out of the fire advise how stupidclap2.gifclap2.gif

i wanted to sell my business in pattaya which makes a profit of 1mill thb per year. i offered it to my 2 best employees for 1million bath. both said no but one said he would manage it for half the profit. it actually works out better for me that way. so far so good.

Where did u get that photo 'unhappy' TPVs? Why can't everyone smile a bit more? smile.png

The real BiB's prolly just confiscated the yabba they was selling !!

prolly??

Huh?

What does that mean? In English.

I enjoyed reading the ins and outs of small businesses here on Phuket with this forum. Then along comes antheruser and the whole thread goes tits up and boom, stunned mullets just stare at the screen, me included. Hey I hope Simon can sell his business.

In my experience people in Thailand greatly overvalue their little businesses and almost always attempt to sell them for way more than they are worth.

This is the single reason why they are up for sale for many years with no buyers.

I also get the gestapo accusations from immigration, You work here, you work here. It is like an echo.

My response is, no I am not permitted to work, I am on a Permit to Stay in the kingdom.

Then, why you here, why you here, an echo in out-of-sync stereo.

My reply, I am here for sex.

Then once all the open mouths are closed in disbelief, I tell whom ever is listening, that I am not permitted to do anything here,other than sex - Sleep, Eat and Exercise my credit card. FBJ right.

Edited by Inepto Cracy

Ok my two Satang's worth if you please. A great lawyer friend of mine once said, sell your business, house whatever for a loss. You first loss is your greatest and best loss. Then you walk away, alive and free of that poo.

Oh yes you will be smarting from that letdown and loss, but you will be free.

Simon if you are that ill and you going to meet the angels, then why would the money be so important?

Do you have dependents?

Or would this money just mean you could make an explosive departure from this realm?

Everyone of us posters here are also dying, but money becomes a millstone around ones neck when you are about to succumb to the next dimension.

Ok this forum has gone well beyond a simple selling of a B&B.

Now we getting into the philosophies of dying and moving to the next life. Whew, lets try to stay focused here please?

If anybody is interested, I will tell you what focused means?

Edited by Inepto Cracy

Ok my two Satang's worth if you please. A great lawyer friend of mine once said, sell your business, house whatever for a loss. You first loss is your greatest and best loss. Then you walk away, alive and free of that poo.

Oh yes you will be smarting from that letdown and loss, but you will be free.

Simon if you are that ill and you going to meet the angels, then why would the money be so important?

Do you have dependents?

Or would this money just mean you could make an explosive departure from this realm?

Everyone of us posters here are also dying, but money becomes a millstone around ones neck when you are about to succumb to the next dimension.

Ok this forum has gone well beyond a simple selling of a B&B.

Now we getting into the philosophies of dying and moving to the next life. Whew, lets try to stay focused here please?

If anybody is interested, I will tell you what focused means?

Let this guy manage it based on commission.

I made him a very decent offer at one point and the next day he pretty much reneged on it.

No idea who you are, but no-one has ever made me a 'very decent offer'. Sounds totally like sour grapes.

...and claim your job as a TVP excuses you

I'm confused about that comment. Are you saying that I can provide help and information to foreign tourists, only if they are not staying at my hotel? I am happy with what I do as a TPV, and I am happy that the help that I give to both my hotel guests AND non-hotel guests falls well within my TPV responsibilities. I'm not selling drugs to them or stuffing them dead into rubbish bins, am I?

As to whether it is a B&B or hotel, I call it a B&B, but by the local licencing laws, it is a 'hotel'.

..he is using this subforum as a venue to sell his business

Er.. no. You got that wrong as well. I asked for advice about how to sell my business. I didn't publish figures for the business, Don Mega did that - thanks Don :)

As for what I say on other forums, you need to take what I say with a pinch of salt, especially my writing style. Some of the other forums are.. let's say.. much more relaxed about the content of posts, and I go with the flow.

The most sensible advice has been to employ a morning manager who can speak good English. (It is a pity that the ASEAN agreements do not allow Filipinas to be employed more easily - they can usually speak very good English).