What Was the First Vehicle You Bought in Thailand

kartman

Second hand Ford Focus. 5 years old with 65,000 km on the clock (discovered later that it had been wound back over 10,000 km). Had it over a year now and no problems. Car was probably made in Europe as controls on different side to Thai made cars. Strong car with metal body. Automatic. Tyre's had lots of miles on them. Cost me 290,000 bart to buy, more than I should have paid I suspect but i am happy with it. It has dual airbags that are good for Thailand and goes well on the road. I have travelled long distances with 5 people and luggage and went smoothly although a little slow on acceleration. Had a service done by a local garage (ex Ford tradesman) and cost me 2,100 bart) - amazingly cheap - about a quarter of the price in Australia for the same service. Onl;y problem I have had was that the rear shock absorbers died. Both replaced for 1,000 bart with third part parts.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically in 1995, a Suzuki Carribean which I rented then flipped and destroyed in Samui on the way back to Chaweng from Chong Mon beach. It was my first time in Thailand, I thought I had insurance and with pressure from the Police and confiscated passport...I "bought" the remains of the Carribean. My first truly owned vehicule, was a brand spanking new Isuzu Spacecab SL in 1997. I never got plates for it and sold it within 6 months.

Edited by pluto_manibo

whistling.gif This will surprise you I am sure,

But I am nearly 70 years old now and have Never owned and probably never will own a vehicle.

Neither in Thailand or in my home country (the U.S.)

A line from a Jimmy Buffet song comes into my head.

It goes,

"Well I have been a wanderer,

and I have wandered far,

But the one thing I have learned for sure,

is God won't own a car."

Edited by IMA_FARANG

2002 New Honda CRV
2005 New Toyota Fortuner
2008 New Toyota Fortuner Smart
2011 New Toyota Fortuner Sportivo
2015 New Toyota Fortuna Sportivo (Still Have)
2015 New BMW 320d GT (Still Have)

Bikes: (All Gone)
New Honda CBR 150
Honda VTR Firestorm
New Honda CBR 150
New Kawasaki 250 DTracker
New Kawasaki Ninja 250
Honda CBR600RR

Wasted a Few Baht Here J

Edited by pattayapip

2002 New Honda CRV

2005 New Toyota Fortuner

New Honda CBR 150

Honda VTR Firestorm

New Honda CBR 150

New Kawasaki Ninja 250

Honda CBR600RR

Wasted a Few Baht Here J

Wow, they were all your first vehicles in Thailand, You must have an impressively sized garage to house them all.

2002 New Honda CRV

2005 New Toyota Fortuner

New Honda CBR 150

Honda VTR Firestorm

New Honda CBR 150

New Kawasaki Ninja 250

Honda CBR600RR

Wasted a Few Baht Here J

Wow, they were all your first vehicles in Thailand, You must have an impressively sized garage to house them all.

Got carried away and followed some previous posts listing all car bikes, Sorry wai2.gif

whistling.gif This will surprise you I am sure,

But I am nearly 70 years old now and have Never owned and probably never will own a vehicle.

Neither in Thailand or in my home country (the U.S.)

A line from a Jimmy Buffet song comes into my head.

It goes,

"Well I have been a wanderer,

and I have wandered far,

But the one thing I have learned for sure,

is God won't own a car."

I am guessing that you have always been an urban dweller, in places with decent public transportation.

I am your polar opposite.

53 years old, between USA and Thailand I have owned 21 cars/trucks and 7 motorcycles

My current fleet is

USA: two trucks (son is driving one), one Jeep, one car, three motorcyles

Thailand: two trucks, one motorcycle

2002 New Honda CRV

2005 New Toyota Fortuner

New Honda CBR 150

Honda VTR Firestorm

New Honda CBR 150

New Kawasaki Ninja 250

Honda CBR600RR

Wasted a Few Baht Here J

I am considering a D Tracker...what can you tell me about it?

It was fun, mostly only used as a toy and really did not go off road on it, but a well built bike and had no problems, only did about 2000 Km on it before i sold it i think smile.png

It looks to me like a "supermoto"-type bike. That was a short-lived fad in USA. Street-legal dirt bikes with smaller wheelsets, suitable for a bit of light off-road. In competition the courses were a combination of "motocross light" and some on-road sections.

It seems like just the thing for the crappy roads/trails here.

I like the MSX also, but it does not seem "quite right" for me.

The consensus here in the North - if you keep the knobbies and really get on the dirt trails - the KLX is the one to get. If you are more street biased - Super Motard style - the CRF is the one. Rented both for a week, ended up with the CRF250M. Work in progress.

A beautiful 2011 Fiesta 1.6S, in stunning metallic silver.

She has FSH, less than 22000km, bluetooth audio, handsfree, a non jumpy twin clutch gearbox, 125BHP, recent new battery, d*mn! you can even talk to her!!

Nong Fiesta has been the length and breath of Thailand without a hiccup.

Oh, did I mention she's for sale soon??! tongue.png

She has FSH, less than 22000km, bluetooth audio, handsfree, a non jumpy twin clutch gearbox, 125BHP, recent new battery, d*mn! you can even talk to her!!

Is there such a thing as a "stunning" metallic silver...?.............whistling.gif

Sure....all equally "stunning"...

Is there such a thing as a "stunning" metallic silver...?.............whistling.gif

sad.pngmad.giflaugh.png

Silver vehicles are great when buying secondhand. You can tell how many accidents it has been in by how many different shades of silver the vehicle is now painted in !!

Mitsubishi Lancer cs3 m/t

Had use of other cars in Thailand but this is the first actually all mine and in my name, also have an old Yamaha Nouvo Elegance which is my first bike fully mine and in my name.

post-57474-0-58396900-1461309495_thumb.j

car:

In 2007 audi TT 1.8 2004 ... not realy buy it be card debt from my korea friend, so I give 100k yuan( 14k US$) and get car in Thailandlaugh.png .

Scooter:

2009 Honda PSX few month used from my russiand friend

Moped:

2009 Kawa Ninja 250 from shop can even say buy same day with PSX

Silver vehicles are great when buying secondhand. You can tell how many accidents it has been in by how many different shades of silver the vehicle is now painted in !!

This is talking about Thailand Toyota?

no matter what color then.biggrin.png

PS

On silver audi 4 my gf in UK have many painted from accident, but cant see.. gigglem.gif

Edited by ardokano

1/ Yamaha TTX, bought secondhand for 24,0000 baht. Only complaint - stupid spoked wheels which make it difficult to put air in the tyres. Anyone know where to get valve extensions?

2/ Toyota Vios, 2006, bought secondhand for 239,000 baht. Spent 30,000 baht on new tyres, shocks, wheel bearings. Has CNG. Brilliant fuel costs, about 0.6 baht per km.

3/ Mercedes 1989 W124 300 CE coupe. Boy's toy. Bought secondhand for 300,000 baht, spent another 200,000 baht bringing it up to my standards. Highway car with

great acceleration if I really sink the boot in. Blows the diesel pickups and SUV's into the weeds in the hills between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Have only ever bought vehicles from falangs.

Tiger Boxer 250 RS. Got me through the 2010/2011 floods and onto and through other assorted hijinks, as well. An idiosyncratic, but fun little bike, that despite the accompanying image, wasn't half bad to look at. Even when I didn't get a second look, the bike usually did. And with a few common sense mods (Only British/Italian/American classic bike enthusiasts need apply) it was possible to make it damned near bullet-proof, as well. Despite having dissociated from Sachs some time earlier on, Tiger remained an interesting company right up until their demise, and offered a number of diverse and fairly well thought out approaches to "songlaw" transportation. Would that they could have survived. RIP.

post-203921-0-39129100-1461312577_thumb.

Bickering posts Removed. The author of said posts has not brought this subject up again since Warned to let it be. Other posters would do well to let it lie also. Nice and Friendly Forum - I think we all want that.

A Yamaha 125 in 1985. I forgot the name of the model. It was a four-stroke engine but had plenty of torque. I could easily get the front wheel off the ground from a stop.

First four-wheeled vehicle was a 2011 Isuzu D-Max, which I still have