Found The Source Of My Ant Problem!

Slated

They're coming in through the A/C vent 'hole in the wall'.

Easy fix (if I were in a western nation)

There's no way on God's green earth I'm going to walk into a hardware store in Thailand and tell him I want to buy some caulk.

Please someone help me with the Thai word for the stuff to put in cracks in the walls.

I spread some antibactirial spray around it, and that always does the trick for a day or so, but as soon as I get back from the fights in pattaya, I want to caulk that crack and have it solved.

Thanks!!

just dont do what I did, turned out to be a big mistake:

the ants came in somerwhere in the bathroom, had their route straight through my bed, so I bought one of these ant traps with poison at carrefour, the ants take the poison back home and never come again.

BUT, 2 days later, some other ants, much smaller, qicker came all over, even on my computer screen now and the ran from the keyboard onto my hand!

I guess the "old" ants kept the "new" ants from coming in, what a big mistake, the new ants are nasty little bastards compared o the old ones and they are to small for the ant trap because they cannot carry the poison.

I should have done like my Thai GF suggested - just let ist be, forget about it...

as for the silicone, you do the ants a big favour....they love nesting in it!

there is a spray in a yellow/red can that will take them out when they walk over it. It sticks to surfaces and keeps everything at bay that crawls...ants, roaches, centipedes etc.

A few weeks back I finally managed to find that powder mentioned in another thread called Shinjia, wey hey this was it I thought. Gleefully I bought 6 packs and went ant hunting, not too difficult as we have them everywhere, up, down around the walls and doors. Distributed the powder and waited.

Only partial success, feeling slightly disheartened I triumphantly show my wife, who then points out that only certain types of ant are susceptible to Shinjia. :D

Utter waste of time and money trying to stop them. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to buy borax in Thailand? Maybe in a pharmacy. Mix borax and icing sugar and put it in their path. They eat it and the borax makes them blow up. :o

You sound like fun!

Anyway just give up you can't win. That has been my goal here for the last four months. They send scouts out to find other ways.

Edited by ltdknowledge

the ants are almost unstoppable. The crafty little buggers can sniff out food and locate it almost anywhere. My advice is to float all your food on a pool of water, be super clean when eating, keep you rubbish outside, and turn up your air-con full blast.

Look on the bright side, the ants can be your personal trainers in food cleanliness and personal hygine. :o you can defeat them passively :D

Edited by Grover

or, you can just go to the local villa supermarket (hi-so I know...) and go to the pest control section. There are little clear traps where you put these pellets of slow acting poison, which they take back to the nest and kill of the whole colony. Put in in their path and wait a couple of days.

Certainly worked in my case.

or, you can just go to the local villa supermarket (hi-so I know...) and go to the pest control section. There are little clear traps where you put these pellets of slow acting poison, which they take back to the nest and kill of the whole colony. Put in in their path and wait a couple of days.

if you're Buddhist bad karma, very bad karma ! :D if not, no worries. sounds ruthlessly and mercilessly effective :D just be careful of the survivor ants that product thousands of mutant posion resistant babies and swarm your room sometime in the not too distant future, looking for food and revenge in the form of samran flesh. :o yes. I see the shock in your avatars face.

Edited by Grover

If you can locate the holes where they get in, put a generous dose of Tabasco sauce in them and around.

The ants will probably find other ways in, but you can keep them at bay repeating the process. Eventually you'll get rid of 95% of them (total victory seems impossible)

Don't ask how I found out about this! :o

Not all of us are on crazy money from Accenture style consulting arrangements.

And as a change agent, did you ever consider what sort of damage that poison might do to the morale of the ant colony? I suggest that you get rid of the ants via a 14 point program laid out in 4 phases with key project milestones every 90 days and appoint a steering committee plus a project team.

And 50% of team members have to be ants.

More seriously...reduce the food, especially sugar, and the ants get less and less interested.

Tobasco sauce seems like a waste, maybe.