best day to drive to Chiang Mai from BKK (avoid traffic)

vento

As I now have very recent experience (today) let me weigh in again: I still think Highway 1 past Tak is much better. There are a couple places around Kamphaeng Phet and Tak where road works are going on, but this is just a couple kms of the road becoming a single carriageway, which really doesn't cause too much of a delay. At worst you drop down to 60km/h from the regular 120km/h or so, for 3-4 kms distance.

Road works of that type are basically going on just about anywhere at anytime, as there's always a stretch somewhere that is being worked on. (ALso for example on Highway #4 between Hua Hin and Prachuap Town.)

The things that do cause serious delays are:

* Major rain/storm

* Major accident on the road ahead

* Hitting the greater Bangkok area at the wrong time.

On the final one, when going past Bangkok to Cha Am / Hua Hin etc, the #9 ring is basically part of Bangkok these days and can get severely congested at times. Google Maps will indicate this, and if it does then it's better to follow Google's advice and take other roads.

But no such issues driving back to Chiang Mai; I left Cha Am at 5am and arrived in Chiang Mai just after 2pm. Total of around 9 hours which includes stopping a couple times for fuel, bathroom breaks and buying snacks/drinks.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I like drive at nigth

Go out at 22.00-23.00

And come 6.00-7.30 morning. With 3 stop for coffe and exercises( i am to old)

Not much car.

Not many granny drivers on right side road.

And its simular first o second road trip.

But guess if at day drive prefer second, but not big difference.

Wife always gets the letters, I stay below 120 :)

where its happened.

Have more than 10 trip to bangkok in last 8 month.

No have any ticket.

Speed 70-160.

Hope in futer not have too:(

Edited by ardokano

I like drive at nigth

Go out at 22.00-23.00

And come 6.00-7.30 morning. With 3 stop for coffe and exercises( i am to old)

Not much car.

Not many granny drivers on right side road.

And its simular first o second road trip.

But guess if at day drive prefer second, but not big difference.

Problem is 1) drunks and 2) suicidal scooterists without lights 3) the occasional madman going the wrong way on a dual carriageway to save himself a km and a u turn..

Night driving here requires a much slower safe speed, OK if you tend to be a under 100 kph driver.. But slows you down a lot if your ok with a higher average speed in good visibility and clear rd.

I just did a south run last week.. return journey some nutter in a car without plates tries to undertake me and then 'push' me out into oncoming traffic to get in.. I refuse.. He starts swerving all around behind me to attempt dangerous overtakes, which he fails at.. He then goes bizarrely slowly on the hard shoulder and I lose him behind me.. 10 minutes later hes attempting to undertake strings of vehicles on the road near nakhon sawan but the slow moving trucks mean he cant get passed.. he even tried the hard shoulder a few times.. Twice he tries to forcefully push in on me and I just ignore him and wont let him.. hes then alongside with his window down waving a gun at me, having a total raging meltdown.. I still didnt let him in, which seemed to make him lose it even more.. Wife had a hissy fit at me but screw em..

Vanished somewhere south of khampang phet.. All the joys of a ride on the Thai highways :)