best day to drive to Chiang Mai from BKK (avoid traffic)

vento

Hi,

I am Thinking about driving to CM in very near future.

Previously i have been sleeping one night in Nakon Sawan, but really i just want to get to CM as fast as possible.

Which days/times are the best choice if one was to avoid as much traffic as possible and arrive as fast (and safe) as possible

I was thinking leaving central BKK, maybe a Saturday 0800ish

What do you guys think? what is your experience?

Also how long time should i expect the drive to take, if i don't drive insanely fast and only a few breaks,

i was thikning about going to Nakon Sawan and then the Tak route.

Cheers

Vento

No, take the main highway #1.

As for the best time, I think I would leave earlier. If you leave 5 or 6am then you clear Bangkok in no time at all, and you arrive in Chiang Mai early afternoon.

And no need for any overnight, just a stop for brunch somewhere near Kamphaeng Phet, which is exactly half way and close to the main road.

From BKK take the 32 to Nakhon Sawan, there change to 101 till Pitsanulok and in Pitsanulok on the 11. Almost free, almost good, double-lane road, few trucks. There is a small stretch before Lampang that is single lane and some construction there, does not slow you down much.

If you leave BKK early, around 4am, no problem to avoid the morning rush hour. After Ayutthaya it will be much less traffic

That's the heavy traffic route all the trucks and most buses use, and then the pickups and people who don't know better. Lot's of construction ongoing year round, never stops, bad road.

UgQFEze.png

So something like this right? Does this route looks like that one suggested?

Cheers

That's the heavy traffic route all the trucks and most buses use, and then the pickups and people who don't know better. Lot's of construction ongoing year round, never stops, bad road.

ok, so you are suggesting something like this:

P1zGmPx.png

Does this route look correct?

because the route look like its a bit longer, but i understand, that it could still be the most convinient/fastest way depending on traffic and road condition

anyone?

I left in late evening once and arrived in the morning. Sounded crazy to me, but my ex and her friend wanted to do it that way because of their schedule and it was actually pretty nice. The roads are confusing as hell, though, especially in the Ayutthaya area. But yeah, early morning sounds good, too.

ok, so early morning

avoid the busy route road 1 and go

BKK to Nakon Sawan

In Nakon Sawan turn on to the road 101 direction Phitsanaluk

Then turn to Road 11 direction Uttaradit

That seems to be the suggestions so far for the best and most convenient trip

Did i miss something?

Cheers

ok, so early morning

BKK to Nakon Sawan

Did i miss something?

Cheers

About 10 km befor NS going north there is a PTT and a McDonalds. Check out the McShyt.biggrin.png

Yes, that's what I meant earlier, but it's still different from the map you posted. You need to go through Pitsanulok and there on the 11 towards Uttaradit.

P.S. had a look at the map, mistake, it's not the 101 but 117 from Nakhon Sawan to Pitsanulok. So the recommended route should be BKK - 32 - NS - 117 - PL - 11 - CNX

And as an additional comment, avoid the 11 between Pitsanulok and Singburi as the plague.

ok, so early morning

BKK to Nakon Sawan

Did i miss something?

Cheers

Edited by MadMac

It's just a short stretch through the mountains, single lane, but not too many slow moving vehicles, most trucks and buses use the 1. On the other hand it's quite a nice scenic route. Would not say it takes longer, you make a lot of headway between Pitsanulok till behind Uttaradit. And there are many take over widenings. I'm not going back to the 1 unless I have to do something in that area.

It's just a short stretch through the mountains, single lane, but not too many slow moving vehicles, most trucks and buses use the 1. On the other hand it's quite a nice scenic route. Would not say it takes longer, you make a lot of headway between Pitsanulok till behind Uttaradit. And there are many take over widenings. I'm not going back to the 1 unless I have to do something in that area.

Why do you prefer this route? if its not faster? is it because its feels safer or less stressfull? or? what is the reason?

cheers

ok thank you.. i have one last question

I have tried drawn the suggest route on map (i made my changes with red) on the subsection which where a bit confusing

thanks again for taking time to help me with this (and others)

W6kwXje.png

So my new route in red does that look correct?

Thanks

I have used both routes on multiple occasions. The main highway, via Nakhon Sawan, Kamphaeng Phet, Tak to Lampang is the better route. The route via Phitsanalok and Uttaradit is fine, just a lot more red lights and, despite what is said above, the Den Chai to Lampang section is simply dangerous.

Traffic beyond Ayuthaya is not of concern. When heading up from Prachuap Kiri Khan or Koh Chang, I usually leave around 11am and go around Bangkok, arriving between 10pm and midnight. From Bangkok, its about 8 hours including a stop or two, never actually timed it.

...the Den Chai to Lampang section is simply dangerous.

I may agree to that if you drive night time as you say. But that's the case with all and every road in Thailand. If going by night, yes I'd also take the 1 for security reasons. In general I try to avoid driving after darkness.

The Den Chai route is however perfectly fine daytime and well worth using, for the scenic route, regardless if in a hurry or not. Thus probably better suited if you leave late from North to South, not the other way around.

If you leave BKK at 4...5 am it will be afternoon there and a nice ride though.

I have driven cm to bkk and return about 6 times in the last 6 months, about once a month. Highway 1 is just fine yes some construction but no problem really andprobably no more truck and bus traffic than any other route. I usually leave cm around 6am and with 2 stops one in Theon and the other in Nakho Sanowhere I arrive in Bkk about 330 pm. I leave BKK around 630 or 7am I take the elevated express way out as far as possible the last time it took me 20 min. from Suk. soi 4. The early departure is key. There will be a bit of traffic until Sanowhere after that it clears out a bit. It is not a hard drive I usually arrive in CM around 4pm. I drive around 120k to 130k per hour and yes I have gotten tickets along this road. It is a rather safe highway with long stretches of straight road. Just donot drive it on a holiday

We drive Bangkok to Chiang Mai a couple times a year. Since we are not in any rush we depart Bangkok around 10 AM and stop somewhere for lunch then a coffee before spending the night in Tak then proceding on to CM the next morning. At Nakon Sawan we take route 1. We always travel on a weekday so don't know if their would be any advantage on leaving on the weekend.

Edited by Spaniel

Is it actually faster though, to take the 11 via Phitsanulok? Because you hit mountains again around Phrae and Lampang..

Maybe fewer trucks, but if it takes 1-2 hours longer then I don't know if I'd want to go that way..

As someone who does a lot of driving.. No it isnt..

Less traffic.. prettier.. but sections of 2 lane so overtaking hard.. Slower speeds.. Stay with the 1, yes its in poor condition and always being repaired.. but dual carridgeway all the way and easy to hold 120 - 140 without being a major risk.

I have done bangkok in 6:30 but thats was being heavy footed.. More realistic for people that stop etc is 7:30 to 8 hours I would guess..

Actually driving it tomorrow.

Stay below 120, there are a lot of mobile laser traps now, particularly in the Singburi area. Had last time I drove up 118 and 120 on the GPS and they let me pass. 120 is the unspoken inofficial limit. Above and you pay on the spot.

Stay below 120, there are a lot of mobile laser traps now, particularly in the Singburi area. Had last time I drove up 118 and 120 on the GPS and they let me pass. 120 is the unspoken inofficial limit. Above and you pay on the spot.

Getting so now they post you more than the on the spot ones.. I came home from a recent trip to 3 tickets in a single hua hin CNX run.

I just consider it Road tax..

Getting so now they post you more than the on the spot ones.. I came home from a recent trip to 3 tickets in a single hua hin CNX run.

I just consider it Road tax..

Lets see here my last ticket was from around Singburi arrived in the mail 600 baht, the one before that was after kampang Phet 200 baht on the spot still made bkk in 8 hours. As a BiB told me once hehe speed limit in thailand 120kph you going 130kph hehehe yes he was actually laffing nice guy cost me 100b

Hope the OPhasn't gotten discouraged, I have taken every possible route from CM to BKK and highway one is the best, just get out of Bangkok early and take the elevated tollway if it is on your escape route, If you do take the 1 up there is a by-pass road around Nakhon Sawan it is the122 and there will be signs directing you to kampang Phet it is a bit rough but worth avoiding going thru downtown. You can stop before or after the 122 for a break . I recommend the PTT stations for a break clean restrooms and they have a amazon coffee shop and a 7/11 at 99 percent of there stations

Edited by moe666