New laptop hard drive cannot find OS

billd766

The reason for that is so that I can download WIN10 to get me back to where the laptop was when the old HDD crashed. I went back this morning and asked them and they did it for free in about 10 minutes.

You could have downloaded the Win 10 ISO and done that to start with.

biggrin.png

I have long since given up on trying to help people here. They rarely follow the best advice.

The question I have is whose advice is the best and who makes that decision?

You may believe that your advice is best while somebody else will say that theirs is the best.

@Chicog As for downloading the Win 10 ISO I already have that but until I had got some sort of OS working I couldn't make use of it.

And how do you think you got some sort of OS working?

facepalm.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for that is so that I can download WIN10 to get me back to where the laptop was when the old HDD crashed. I went back this morning and asked them and they did it for free in about 10 minutes.

You could have downloaded the Win 10 ISO and done that to start with.

biggrin.png

I have long since given up on trying to help people here. They rarely follow the best advice.

The question I have is whose advice is the best and who makes that decision?

You may believe that your advice is best while somebody else will say that theirs is the best.

@Chicog As for downloading the Win 10 ISO I already have that but until I had got some sort of OS working I couldn't make use of it.

The people who give the best advice know it. Now instead of a properly activated install of Windows 10, it's likely that you may have a hacked copy of Windows 7. Progress?

Yes, brianinbangkok, Mac Hard Drives can and do fail, just like any other PC’s, although the argument could be made that they fail less often. As for Chicog’s assertion that Mac’s essentially are for dim-witted individuals, well, thats his opinion and he is certainly entitled to an opinion, even if it is rooted in ignorance on his part.

There’s a reason Apple is ranked number one in the world (well above Microsoft…) the reason is quality and it’s not, “ … they're great for people who don't understand computers. “ as Chicog implies. That’s pure BS. I spent 25 years working for NASA using both Mac’s and high-end Dell PCs. Most of that time manipulating Photoshop images of the Solid Rocket Boosters for the Space Shuttle program. Even had a Dell at home to polish website code designs for myself. The PC’s tend to have many issues while the Mac’s just keeps on chugging along. I have 6 mac’s in my home right now — three that I use regularly and the rest are here just because I am too lazy to get rid of them. Funny thing is five for that six will still boot up even though three are so old they will not accept the current Intel based operating systems.

Which designs the best O-rings? A Mac or a PC?

I have long since given up on trying to help people here.

So why post at all, why even bother logging in.

OP, good you got it fixed; FYI for a few bucks more you could have bought an SSD, much faster and longer lifespan

Edited by Rob13

I have long since given up on trying to help people here.

So why post at all, why even bother logging in.

OP, good you got it fixed; FYI for a few bucks more you could have bought an SSD, much faster and longer lifespan

Do you only sign in in order to assist people here? Idiotic statement.

I went back to the Advice shop last week and they upgraded to OS to Windows 10 and the laptop works fine.

It could be dangerous saying that as a lot of hardcore Win 7 supporters exist (a fine OS, but it's now a legacy OS). You've been warned.

I went back to the Advice shop last week and they upgraded to OS to Windows 10 and the laptop works fine.

It could be dangerous saying that as a lot of hardcore Win 7 supporters exist (a fine OS, but it's now a legacy OS). You've been warned.

The original Luddites also had the same attitude.

...but I've been called worse.