Obama says North Carolina law should be overturned

rooster59

Obama says North Carolina law should be overturned

DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press
KEVIN FREKING, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — President Barack Obama called Friday for the overturning of a North Carolina law that requires transgender people to use public bathrooms conforming to the sex on their birth certificates and restricts protections for LGBT people.

Obama criticized that law and others targeting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people during a news conference Friday in London. The United Kingdom had issued a travel advisory Tuesday warning British citizens about possible discrimination if they travel to certain U.S. states.

Obama said he wanted the British to know that people in North Carolina and other states that have pursued similar legislation are "wonderful people" and that British citizens should feel free to come and enjoy themselves. He said they'll be treated with "extraordinary hospitality."

"I also think the laws that have been passed there are wrong and should be overturned," Obama said.

The president explained that he believed the laws were in response to "politics, in part," as well as to "some strong emotions that are generated by people."

Obama also emphasized that some of the laws' proponents are "good people."

"Although I respect their different viewpoints, I think it's very important for us not to send signals that anybody is treated differently," Obama said.

North Carolina's so-called bathroom law, among other things, requires transgender people to use bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificates in state government buildings as well as public schools and universities.

A spokesman for Republican Gov. Pat McCrory responded to Obama's comments by saying the governor agrees that all people are welcome to visit North Carolina and will be treated with extraordinary hospitality.

"However, the governor respectfully disagrees with the political left's national agenda to mandate changes to basic, common-sense restroom norms," said the spokesman, Josh Ellis.

North Carolina state Senate leader Phil Berger, a Republican and one of the most vocal supporters of the law, responded to Obama's comments in a press release stating that "not every father has the luxury of Secret Service agents protecting his daughters' right to privacy in the girls' bathroom."

Berger has said the law protects women and girls from men using the false pretense of being transgender to enter women's restrooms and locker rooms.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-23

Berger has said the law protects women and girls from men using the false pretense of being transgender to enter women's restrooms and locker rooms.

That's the big problem I see here. This law helps prevent the above from happening.

The non-logic behind this stupid bigoted homophobic law is preventing something that has never happened and odds are never will. All the restroom problems seem to be Republican Congressmen. There is no rational reason for laws like this except right wing bigotry. It is transgendered people that are and have been in danger. Maybe they should introduce some of those redneck crackers to some of the ladyboys over here. Mighty embarrassing to have to admit getting one's ass kicked by a transgendered woman...lol.

The non-logic behind this stupid bigoted homophobic law is preventing something that has never happened and odds are never will. All the restroom problems seem to be Republican Congressmen. There is no rational reason for laws like this except right wing bigotry. It is transgendered people that are and have been in danger. Maybe they should introduce some of those redneck crackers to some of the ladyboys over here. Mighty embarrassing to have to admit getting one's ass kicked by a transgendered woman...lol.

Great rant, but it has nothing to do with any political party. Rather, lawsuit happy nut jobs. If you are a man, use the man's bathroom. Keeps things simple.

http://www.duhaime.org/LawFun/LawArticle-41/Outrageous-Lawsuits.aspx

A San Diego man filed a $5.4 million lawsuit in March against the city of San Diego for the "emotional trauma" he suffered at an Elton John-Billy Joel concert, held at a municipal stadium. Bob Glaser said he was "extremely upset" at the sight of a woman in front of him using a urinal. In the suit, he claimed his rights to privacy were violated when he tried to use the restroom ''in front of women in the men's bathroom''. The women used the men's facilities because of long lines outside their restrooms.

President Obama, like everyone else, is entitled to his/her opinion. I, for one, happen to disagree.

As Americans, we all still have the right to partake in political discourse in the public square-whether real world or virtual. Unfortunately that right is at increased risk due to the tyranny of a fascistic minority that seeks to stifle free discussion and debate.

Interesting post above.

The poster uses the words "bigoted" and "bigotry" but then follows up with the racial slur, "red neck crackers".

Secondly, the point of the post seems to be that transgenders pose no threat, but then imagines someone getting physically assaulted by transgenders. And then laughs about it.

President Obama, like everyone else, is entitled to his/her opinion. I, for one, happen to disagree.

As Americans, we all still have the right to partake in political discourse in the public square-whether real world or virtual. Unfortunately that right is at increased risk due to the tyranny of a fascistic minority that seeks to stifle free discussion and debate.

Interesting post above.

The poster uses the words "bigoted" and "bigotry" but then follows up with the racial slur, "red neck crackers".

Secondly, the point of the post seems to be that transgenders pose no threat, but then imagines someone getting physically assaulted by transgenders. And then laughs about it.

If you don't like being called bigoted, simple solution - don't be a bigot. Don't promote hatred against minorities.

sgtsabai is a member of a minority group. He is allowed to use race references. You are not. Deal with it.

This is not a freedom of speech issue. This is freedom from discrimination issue. The President of the United States understands this. You and your fellow potty paranoics do not.

Being a member of a minority groups gives you no special privilege to be a bigot. It's 100% wrong. Sinclair's post is spot on.

I'm from a minority group. I have rights also, as does my wife...to not see men in her toilet.

Interesting post above.

If you don't like being called bigoted, simple solution - don't be a bigot. Don't promote hatred against minorities.

sgtsabai is a member of a minority group. He is allowed to use race references. You are not. Deal with it.

This is not a freedom of speech issue. This is freedom from discrimination issue. The President of the United States understands this. You and your fellow potty paranoics do not.

Being a member of a minority groups gives you no special privilege to be a bigot. It's 100% wrong. Sinclair's post is spot on.

I'm from a minority group. I have rights also, as does my wife...to not see men in her toilet.

You entirely miss the point about the language used by oppressors of minorities.

You also talk about men in women's toilets when that is not the issue. The law prohibits Trans females using female toilets. Your claim to any right not to see a man in a woman's toilet is beating up a complete non issue. Nobody is talking about that except for the bigots pushing for legislation to discriminate against minorities.

You entirely miss the point about the language used by oppressors of minorities.

You also talk about men in women's toilets when that is not the issue. The law prohibits Trans females using female toilets. Your claim to any right not to see a man in a woman's toilet is beating up a complete non issue. Nobody is talking about that except for the bigots pushing for legislation to discriminate against minorities.

Just spoke with my wife. Here in Thailand, in her experience, ladyboys use the men's bathroom. Not the ladies. A trans gender female is still a male. Operation or not.

Transgenders are a minority. But it's a travesty to compare them to my minority Native American Indian tribe. As well as others.

I'm 1/64th Comanche (or so my deceased aunt once told me) so that means I can be a racist.

Think I'll attack the victims of choice on this forum...old, white,straight, Christian conservative men.

This could open up new means of expression for me and I can't be blamed for anything.clap2.gif

Just spoke with my wife. Here in Thailand, in her experience, ladyboys use the men's bathroom. Not the ladies. A trans gender female is still a male. Operation or not.

Transgenders are a minority. But it's a travesty to compare them to my minority Native American Indian tribe. As well as others.

As far as I know, the North Carolina legislation does not apply to Thai ladyboys. I am wondering what they have to do with anything. I am further wondering about your believe that your minority status gives your discrimination against Transgender people any validity. You have want evidence to make the statement that Transgender females are males?

If you want to argue which minority is the most oppressed then you will have to start another thread because it has nothing to do with this one. This thread is about laws that discriminates against LGBT people. The law allows employers to dismiss people who are gay. It denies LGBT people access to public funding. The toilet issue is a complete diversion.

You seem to only convince those established bigots who also reject the rights of other minorities to equality. Your last statement identifies you as part of the whole potty paranoia thing and not worth the time for serious people to make any rational responses.

My Thai wife agrees with your Thai wife. She asked why I wanted to know so I explained the situation in the US.

Her answer...They are still a man and should go to man's room.

As far as I know, the North Carolina legislation does not apply to Thai ladyboys. I am wondering what they have to do with anything. I am further wondering about your believe that your minority status gives your discrimination against Transgender people any validity. You have want evidence to make the statement that Transgender females are males?

If you want to argue which minority is the most oppressed then you will have to start another thread because it has nothing to do with this one. This thread is about laws that discriminates against LGBT people. The law allows employers to dismiss people who are gay. It denies LGBT people access to public funding. The toilet issue is a complete diversion.

You seem to only convince those established bigots who also reject the rights of other minorities to equality. Your last statement identifies you as part of the whole potty paranoia thing and not worth the time for serious people to make any rational responses.

Great! Please put me on your ignore list. Be nice or don't post.

I'm 1/64th Comanche (or so my deceased aunt once told me) so that means I can be a racist.

Think I'll attack the victims of choice on this forum...old, white,straight, Christian conservative men.

This could open up new means of expression for me and I can't be blamed for anything.clap2.gif

Go for it chuckd. The first step is to take ownership of the language that your oppressors use. The next step is to read this book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_for_Radicals. You may know the author. Some guy called Saul Alinsky. After that you will be given the secret password to access the secret weapon.

You make it sound like this is all new to you? You surely have seen this sort of thing over time. And you are correct, identifying with the boring straight white males is out of fashion now. Has been since the 50's and 60's really. You know, the whole breadwinner, evening martinis, head of the house, Leave it to Beaver kind of thing that the Baby Boomers exploded. What really capped it off was the Marlboro Man turning out to be gay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McBride_(actor)

So go for the whole minority thing. But you can only use racial slurs against your own minority, not other minorities, so it might be better to claim to be African American.

Edited by lostboy

Great! Please put me on your ignore list. Be nice or don't post.

I do not have anyone on my ignore list. If someone makes an offensive comment then I respond. I was being nice to you but then you decided to support hate speech and discrimination. So I pointed this out. You don't get to tell anyone here what to do.

To all those who agree with this law... I don't think you understand what it really means for the minority groups its harming...

The law will allow local governments to actively discriminate against gay and transgendered people... with no protection for these people and no rights.

It will allow businesses to be able to refuse to serve people just because of their sexual orientation. It will allow emergency services to refuse to help gay or Trans peple.

The restroom thing is just part of the implications...... It is more dangerous to force transgendered people into men's restrooms. Think how dangerous that will be for a transgendered women... and how she will feel.... Men will think she is a women in the wrong bathroom... or she would be 'outed' as a transgendered woman. There is a real risk of harassment and violence from straight men in the bathroom.... and there is no protection for her.

That's the big problem I see here. This law helps prevent the above from happening.

Except that it really won't. It will not prevent creepy men from entering women's restrooms -- you're not going to have people at the doors checking IDs. Even before the law (and even now afterwards), all a creepy man would have really needed to say is that it was a mistake and they though they were in the men's room ("Sorry, my stomach was upset and I really wasn't paying attention, I was just looking for a toilet"). Now this wouldn't work if they were being creepy, like taking photos or just hanging around, but these cases wouldn't suddenly be OK because the person claims to be transsexual.

To all those who agree with this law... I don't think you understand what it really means for the minority groups its harming...

The law will allow local governments to actively discriminate against gay and transgendered people... with no protection for these people and no rights.

It will allow businesses to be able to refuse to serve people just because of their sexual orientation. It will allow emergency services to refuse to help gay or Trans peple.

The restroom thing is just part of the implications...... It is more dangerous to force transgendered people into men's restrooms. Think how dangerous that will be for a transgendered women... and how she will feel.... Men will think she is a women in the wrong bathroom... or she would be 'outed' as a transgendered woman. There is a real risk of harassment and violence from straight men in the bathroom.... and there is no protection for her.

There is quite a bit in your post that I am unable to find in the actual law itself.

Here is a link to a PDF file of the law: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v0.pdf

Perhaps you can point out where the law actually permits the following acts you describe as now being legal.

"It will allow businesses to be able to refuse to serve people just because of their sexual orientation. It will allow emergency services to refuse to help gay or Trans peple. (sic)"

First, this law was not the product of racists or bigots in North Carolina.

This law was caused by the liberal minded people in the US Supreme Court. It was the ruling that removed the rights of people to run their business in a manner that they wanted and serve customers that they want.

If I as a WASP go into a store or restaurant the store has the right to serve me or ask me to leave if I am not wanted. Imagine me walking into a bar in harlem with a KKK crest on my jacket.

The same thing should also be protected for those people that bellieve that homosexuality, fat ladies wearing a bikini in a restaurant, or anything else that is not to a person's tastes.

Instead due to the highly litigious nature of your country a person that is refused service for a logical reason can sue and put the business out of business no matter the reason.

I lived in Toronto with many gay friends and can tell you that the last thing they would want is a straight person that did not want to be there shooting their wedding or making their cake or having anything to do with the wedding.

As to lady boys there is a definite comparison because the last time I checked they were also classified as LGBT.

The supreme Court ruling you cite does not exist. Stop making up stuff. There is no national protection against discrimination towards GLBT people for basic things like employment housing or access to business services. The bigot agenda tries to trivialize this gross injustice to be about cakes. That's propaganda. It's legal in many states to be fired only for being gay.

He just can not help himself...being so far above the law and justice system...Obama feels it necessary to pre-empt the judicial process and proclaim his desired outcome of lawsuits thru the press...(but he would be the first to admit that he never interferes in court cases)

Counting the days...goodbye and good riddance...

My Thai wife agrees with your Thai wife. She asked why I wanted to know so I explained the situation in the US.

Her answer...They are still a man and should go to man's room.

My wife disagrees, they use the ladies room. Also looking at a massage parlor close to my shop, no way will they be even remotely comfortable in the boys room.

Oh, and that was without any prompting.

There is quite a bit in your post that I am unable to find in the actual law itself.

Here is a link to a PDF file of the law: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v0.pdf

Perhaps you can point out where the law actually permits the following acts you describe as now being legal.

"It will allow businesses to be able to refuse to serve people just because of their sexual orientation. It will allow emergency services to refuse to help gay or Trans peple. (sic)"

I feel your pain Charles. Reading laws and regulations is so boring. I quite like Thai laws because once you know the formula, then reading them is quite straightforward. I am not a lawyer but in my public policy work I have now helped write several laws in Thailand and now Afghanistan. So I do understand when people struggle with comprehending the kind of language that lawyers use to essentially mask the reality of what the law is doing. It is very much an exercise in Orwellian double-speak. Well, you have to hand it to them since they make their living from people trying to push holes or exploit holes in laws so it is in their interest for such documents to be as arcane as possible.

So having taken your challenge to help you interpret the Community Reinvestment Act a while ago, I can offer some small assistance for you to understand what is in this 5 page document.

S143-422.11 makes it legal to discriminate against LGBT people in terms of both public and private services, which may include emergency services since S2.2 and S2.3 covers county and city contracting for service providers

S143-422.13 prohibits any civili action being taken against those who discriminate against LGBT people and only authorises some entity called the Human Relations Commission of the Department of Administration (which presumable congregates at the local Southern Baptist Church) to take action in cases of alleged discrimination, which in any case cannot be brought on the grounds of discriminating against LGBT people

When you read S143-422.11, you will notice the absence of sexual identity and the presence of 'biological sex'. This is what authorises discrimination against LGBT people. Although the good people of North Carolina will no doubt be in a pickle when it is confirmed that there is a biological basis to Transgenderism thus criminalising discrimination against Trans people.

I suspect when the US Solicitor General argues in the Supreme Court for the repeal of this law, this may be one of the legal strategies used.

Happy to help you any time Charles, that is if I am not too busy but you should try reading more of your own because practice makes perfect you know.

He just can not help himself...being so far above the law and justice system...Obama feels it necessary to pre-empt the judicial process and proclaim his desired outcome of lawsuits thru the press...(but he would be the first to admit that he never interferes in court cases)

Counting the days...goodbye and good riddance...

He has a right to his opinion, as president, to take the Bully Pulpit and strongly express it.

Counting the days to PRESIDENT Hillary Clinton, eh?

President Clinton 2.0 will be as strong or even stronger than Obama on GLBT CIVIL RIGHTS advocacy.clap2.gif

Edited by Jingthing

He just can not help himself.

Yes, he does like to give his opinion on many issues. And in my opinion he has every right to do so. Just like all Americans do. If the position you hold has merit, then you shouldn't be afraid of debate.

Unfortunately the hysterical and strident activists who are trying to force their way into the bathrooms that our wives and daughters use want to stifle debate and censor the opinions they disagree with on the law passed by the good people of North Carolina.

Regular members of society are being subjected to what can only be described as the tyranny of the minority. No, that's not a typo. We're talking about .03% of the population demanding that the majority put aside what they believe in so that these people can grab all the special treatment they can.

It's not about equal rights, it's about special rights that they want for themselves and that the rest of will be subjected to. And then they try to deny us our right to express our concerns.

And all of this is because they claim it is their 'identity'. And, by the way, this 'identity' might change tomorrow.

I feel your pain Charles. Reading laws and regulations is so boring. I quite like Thai laws because once you know the formula, then reading them is quite straightforward. I am not a lawyer but in my public policy work I have now helped write several laws in Thailand and now Afghanistan. So I do understand when people struggle with comprehending the kind of language that lawyers use to essentially mask the reality of what the law is doing. It is very much an exercise in Orwellian double-speak. Well, you have to hand it to them since they make their living from people trying to push holes or exploit holes in laws so it is in their interest for such documents to be as arcane as possible.

So having taken your challenge to help you interpret the Community Reinvestment Act a while ago, I can offer some small assistance for you to understand what is in this 5 page document.

S143-422.11 makes it legal to discriminate against LGBT people in terms of both public and private services, which may include emergency services since S2.2 and S2.3 covers county and city contracting for service providers

S143-422.13 prohibits any civili action being taken against those who discriminate against LGBT people and only authorises some entity called the Human Relations Commission of the Department of Administration (which presumable congregates at the local Southern Baptist Church) to take action in cases of alleged discrimination, which in any case cannot be brought on the grounds of discriminating against LGBT people

When you read S143-422.11, you will notice the absence of sexual identity and the presence of 'biological sex'. This is what authorises discrimination against LGBT people. Although the good people of North Carolina will no doubt be in a pickle when it is confirmed that there is a biological basis to Transgenderism thus criminalising discrimination against Trans people.

I suspect when the US Solicitor General argues in the Supreme Court for the repeal of this law, this may be one of the legal strategies used.

Happy to help you any time Charles, that is if I am not too busy but you should try reading more of your own because practice makes perfect you know.

The law specifically calls it "biological sex". Nowhere does it address the 'L', 'G' or 'B'.

I think the law ill be thrown out by a federal judge anyway. It would seem to violate the 14th Amendment.

Your sarcasm is duly noted.

By the way, here are a few bathroom incidents you might not have heard about.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/sexual-predator-jailed-after-claiming-to-be-transgender-in-order-to-assault

http://abc7chicago.com/news/police-homeless-man-behind-sex-assault-of-girl-12-inside-cvs-restroom/1168189/

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/86762439-story

Edited by chuckd