Necessity is the mother of Thai invention

Inspire

Necessity is the mother of Thai invention

bart1.jpg

Welcome to “Every Picture Tells a Story”; a weekly post about living in Thailand. Each week we’ll post a picture that illustrates some of the best parts about living in Thailand.

What’s the craziest contraption you’ve seen on a Thai roadway?

Today I saw what appeared to be your basic 3 wheeled samlor; a motorcycle with a sidecar attached. When I looked closer, I could see there was a guy in a wheelchair seated in the sidecar but with his own handle bars controlling the whole rig. His lady friend sat side saddle on the actual motorbike as a passenger. Apparently this paraplegic guy created a way to still take his girl for a ride on his bike. It was a very creative work-around.

I’d say that is the catalyst for many of the kooky transportation solutions we see here in the land of smiles. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

We’ve all seen 4 or 5 people piled onto a motorbike to get to work or school. We’ve all seen 20 people squatting down in the back of a pickup truck and riding 7 hours that way from up-country … because that’s how you get to Pattaya for Songkran. And how many school boys can hang off the back of a songtaew when schools out? The mind boggles.

And that’s just transporting people. If there is no danger to human life, then the solutions can get even crazier. I’ve seen a man in Isan with a 100 kilo live pig lashed to the back of his Honda Wave motorbike on the way to market. I’ve seen a two man operation in Pattaya where the motorbike driver stood up and his rider held onto a 46” flat-screen TV on the back.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/necessity-mother-thai-invention/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-04-23