SURVEY: Is Thailand at risk of another terrorist attack?

Scott

SURVEY: Is Thailand at risk of a terrorist attack?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Is Thailand at risk of a terrorist attack in the next year?

• There is a very high probability of a terrorist attack within the next year.
    • There is a high probability of a terrorist attack within the next year.
    • There is about the same probability of a terrorist attack as most countries.
    • There is a low probability of a terrorist attack within the next year.
    • There is a very low probability of a terrorist attack witnin the next year.

This poll is closed to new votes

SURVEY: Is Thailand at risk of a terrorist attack in the near future?

It was recently reported that 15 of the suspects from the Erawan Shrine bombing are still at large. It has also been reported that terrorists have entered Thailand. Excluding the situation in the South, in your opinion, how would you assess the threat risk to Thailand in the upcoming year?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further information here are a couple of recent topics.

Thai police say 15 bomb suspects at large.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/911725-thai-police-say-15-bomb-suspects-at-large-as-two-appear-in-court/

Suspected Uighur Militants in threat warning twice entered Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/911640-suspected-uighur-militant-in-threat-warning-twice-entered-thailand/

There is one about every 2 days down south, but since it's just poor Thais being blown to bits, no one seems to care much. To exclude the south is wrong.

Edited by dcnx

Is Thailand at risk of a terrorist attack in the near future?

50% chance. Either it will happen, or it won't.

Just like everything else in the world.

Stop wasting your time worrying about s...t that is beyond your control. Use that time to make one thing better in your life. If you are here tomorrow, then do it again.

There is one about every 2 days down south, but since it's just poor Thais being blown to bits, no one seems to care much. To exclude the south is wrong.

He's talking about bangkok/pattaya where most westerners visit.The attack at erawan was an attack on the west as well.Sure thais were killed

and the bombing was in the heart of Bangkok,but i think there was an underlying motive to kill foreigners and show up thailand.

There will be another bombing both in thailand and other countries-it is almost inevitable.

Edited by Nasrullah

I think Thailand is safe from further attacks. The terrorists can see that if they leave the Thais to themselves they create more terror than any outside group could ever conceive. Just driving on the roads in Thailand is utterly terrifying. Now there is also the fear of being imprisoned by the government for speaking your mind. I would have to think that terrorists would be terrified to come to Thailand! whistling.gif

I think Thailand is safe from further attacks. The terrorists can see that if they leave the Thais to themselves they create more terror than any outside group could ever conceive. Just driving on the roads in Thailand is utterly terrifying. Now there is also the fear of being imprisoned by the government for speaking your mind. I would have to think that terrorists would be terrified to come to Thailand! whistling.gif

. "Just driving on the roads in Thailand is utterly terrifying."

Your terror tolerance meter must be set very low. Or are you in Pattaya or B angkok?rolleyes.gif

Bio

Stop wasting your time worrying about s...t that is beyond your control. Use that time to make one thing better in your life. If you are here tomorrow, then do it again.

Perhaps the OP is like me.. I don't worry, but I do manage the risk. He may be collecting facts/thoughts..and make a more informed choice...assuming he asks for the purpose of making some decision Edited by 1happykamper

I think Thailand is a higher risk of terrorist attack due to the poor security service being provided to airports and other places where many congregate. At Samui Airport there are normally at least three security guard at both the arrival and departure entry points. I have been going in and out of these frequently over the last year or so and they do not even bother to stop incoming vehicles. Entering the Central Shopping complex there is a Guard. The last two times when he has gone to check the back of my SUV, I have smiled at him and said "it's okay" and he has smiled back and waved me through without checking. The three main problems are: the people being employed in these jobs in the main are relatively uneducated therefore seem to be unaware of the real risk they are guarding against, their training is either inadequate or is forgotten in a relatively short period of time and finally and probably more importantly there does not appear to be any management structure checking that they are doing their job properly. The Government needs to make these big Companies, such as Bangkok Airways, Central, Big C, Tesco Lotus etc that it is their responsibility to protect their customers from terrorist attacks and whilst they clearly do not perceive the likelihood of attack very imminent, they need to remember, they need to be 100% successful to deter an attack, whereas the terrorist needs only to be successful ONCE!

And the results of a terrorist survey is evidence of what? Most of the terror I read about in these forums is home grown terror where Thais are killing Thais with monotonous regularity using guns, cars, motorbikes and practically anything they can lay their hands on. Most of this terror seems to originate from loss of face, excess drugs and alcohol, jealousy and family disputes. Likewise "outside" terrorist attacks may well be political terrorism with the origins being from within.

absolutely, the risk is there no doubt, simple because Thailand has no security features, an inept and corrupt police force and a government that prefers to persuade and entice criminals, while at the same time ordering their citizens to respect silly laws. That makes it a delicious target with sugar on top, all the government needs to do is piss off a particular faction. It's been pissing off farangs for many years now without fear of retribution, so it's safe to say farangs are not a terrorist faction....

However, I believe Thailand to be much more at risk of damage from inept governing, from inane official statements, from inherent "misunderstandings", from ignorance and complacency in general - it has come to a point in history where all this is becoming part of the culture, on par with "German Engineering", "Swiss Punctuality", "French Elegance", "Italian Flair" ..."Thai Bungling"

Edited by klauskunkel

Can anyone still believe what the army/police say?

That's right. If you want the truth, depend on a Thai Visa survey.

absolutely, the risk is there no doubt, simple because Thailand has no security features, an inept and corrupt police force and a government that prefers to persuade and entice criminals, while at the same time ordering their citizens to respect silly laws. That makes it a delicious target with sugar on top, all the government needs to do is piss off a particular faction. It's been pissing off farangs for many years now without fear of retribution, so it's safe to say farangs are not a terrorist faction....

However, I believe Thailand to be much more at risk of damage from inept governing, from inane official statements, from inherent "misunderstandings", from ignorance in general - it has come to a point in history where all this is becoming part of the culture, on par with "German Engineering", "Swiss Punctuality", "French Elegance", "Italian Flair" ..."Thai Bungling"

If only we could have the crack security forces they have in Belgium.

U.S. counterterrorism officials are frustrated and angry at Belgium’s inability to tackle ISIS terror cells that are successfully plotting murderous attacks on the West from inside the country’s tiny capital city.

The twin terror attacks in Brussels that left at least 30 dead and 230 injured on Tuesday, despite repeated warnings from Washington, left U.S. officials fuming.

A senior U.S. intelligence officer likened the Belgian security forces to “children.”

Edited by Suradit69

With a terrorist motorcycle bomb blast on April 11th in front of a railway station in Songkhla’s Jana district and no efforts by the mulitary to reach a peace agreement with the Malay-Thai insurgents, I'd say there is a very high likelihood that there will be another attack within 30 days.

He's talking about bangkok/pattaya where most westerners visit.The attack at erawan was an attack on the west as well.Sure thais were killed

and the bombing was in the heart of Bangkok,but i think there was an underlying motive to kill foreigners and show up thailand.

There will be another bombing both in thailand and other countries-it is almost inevitable.

It is unbelievable what is going on in the south, don't visit this link while you are eating.

https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/thailand-unprovoked-muslim-genocide-of-thai-people-for-being-kafirs/

Probably not considering terrorism does not occur in Thailand (according to the military). Remember, the Erawan shrine blast was retaliation for a non existent crackdown on human traffickers. Just like the Islamic separatists killing teachers and monks in the south are just drug gangs.

There is always a risk of terrorist attacks anywhere there are Muslims. Visit a mosque, read the Quran or daily newspapers to find out why. Am I prejudiced? No, realistic.

Edited by ChrisKC

With a terrorist motorcycle bomb blast on April 11th in front of a railway station in Songkhla’s Jana district and no efforts by the mulitary to reach a peace agreement with the Malay-Thai insurgents, I'd say there is a very high likelihood that there will be another attack within 30 days.

Ah, ah, that's in the south and even thinking of that is verboten.

It is unbelievable what is going on in the south, don't visit this link while you are eating.

https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/thailand-unprovoked-muslim-genocide-of-thai-people-for-being-kafirs/

yes.....truly horrific.....have you watched the 2nd(11 min video)?..........do you agree with the the narrator and version?

Just like my chance of winning the lottery. It will either happen or it won't. 50% chance....er wait a minute...er...

Edited by partington

I don't know what will happen in the future....but I do know we are in for some tough times economically, as is the rest of the world, with the likelihood of a global depression and the un-abated craziness from the moslem terrorists setting off bombs.....which is always a possibility anywhere anytime!

And teaching the wife to drive the pick-up......there is some elements of terror when I think of that!

Edited by BSJ

I don't know what will happen in the future....but I do know we are in for some tough times economically, as is the rest of the world, with the likelihood of a global depression and the un-abated craziness from the moslem terrorists setting off bombs.....which is always a possibility anywhere anytime!

And teaching the wife to drive the pick-up......there is some elements of terror when I think of that!

I am definitely more concerned about drivers here than actual terrorists as well. Feel like I am moments away from the grim reaper several times a week just trying to cross the intersection near my place in BKK.