Longest ever Mexico-California drug tunnel unearthed

rooster59

Longest ever Mexico-California drug tunnel unearthed

post-247607-0-64810200-1461448658_thumb.

United States Federal agents have seized about one ton of cocaine and six tons of marijuana.

The stash had been smuggled through a newly discovered tunnel stretching beneath the border between Mexico and the US state of California.

At 800 metres, it is longest such passageway unearthed.

“On the surface I think it fair to say that few would suspect that traffickers were moving multi-ton quantities of cocaine and marijuana in an unassuming way in full view of the world around them with really nothing more than a three-foot hole,” said Laura Duffy, US Attorney for the Southern District of California.

The latest tunnel ran from the bottom of an elevator shaft built into a house in Tijuana to a hole in the ground on the US side enclosed within a fenced-in lot set up as a pallet business. The hole was concealed under a trailer-sized dumpster that smugglers used to move the drugs off the lot, federal officials said.

“Once the dumpster was loaded with drugs, and that was activity that was monitored and surveilled by agents, what the defendants did was take a forklift and move the pallets out from around the dumpster and then they would proceed to load the dumpster on to a truck and physically move it to a secondary site that was a parking lot,” explained Duffy.

Federal agents followed a truck that carted the dumpster to a central San Diego spot about 40 kilometres north of the border and watched as the cargo was loaded onto a box truck, which drove away.

The suspects were all jailed on various drug-trafficking conspiracy charges, authorities said.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-24

The drug traffickers are making a large enough profit (no surprise there) that they can afford such an engineering project. For those less familiar with the metric system, the tunnel was about half a mile in length.

I willing to guess that there are other tunnels still in operation. I recall vaguely reading about other such tunnels before, although maybe smaller. So, perhaps they have calculated they that need longer tunnels to avoid detection.

This is another example that with so much profit to be made, I can understand why the War On Drugs has not been successful.

Edited by helpisgood

The drug traffickers are making a large enough profit (no surprise there) that they can afford such an engineering project. For those less familiar with the metric system, the tunnel was about half a mile in length.

I willing to guess that there are other tunnels still in operation. I recall vaguely reading about other such tunnels before, although maybe smaller. So, perhaps they have calculated they that need longer tunnels to avoid detection.

This is another example that with so much profit to be made, I can understand why the War On Drugs has not been successful.

In the mining industry, a tunnel of 800 meter is not that long at all.

I have to wonder how many illegal aliens passed through the same tunnel and for how long?

It seems this claim (not sure how accurate "most" or "majority" is) about illegals in the US sounds quite similar to something we've been talking about in Thailand.

But even if we were to build a wall, and elect a president interested in using it to protect America’s sovereignty, we’d be missing most of the problem — because the majority of new illegal aliens are actually visa overstayers.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/424879/immigration-fighting-last-war-mark-krikorian

I have to wonder how many illegal aliens passed through the same tunnel and for how long?

At least hundreds, if not thousands. After all, why wouldn't narcotraficantes want lots and lots of people to know about the secret location of their costly and doubtless hugely profitable tunnel. Makes perfect sense if you think like Donald Trump.

On top there will be a huge and very expensive wall, and underneath will be more tunnels.

The political satire "Last Week Tonight" showed a succession of Trump speeches in which he claimed it would cost $4 billion, then $6 billion, ... on up to (as I recall) $12 billion. Others suggested the total cost would be closer to $77 billion.

On the show they said for that amount they could fund an equally effective program that would bring comfort to citizens. They could give every man, woman and child in the US an electric waffle maker.

Edited by Suradit69

I doubt any passed through. It was too valuable as a drug smuggling route that would

have been quickly revealed if it was used to smuggle illegal aliens. When someone was

caught they would quickly trade that information. whistling.gif

If and when these guys are convicted, the ones that dug the tunnel should be sent here to help out with the tunnel projects in Pattaya as well as Phuket, seeing their skills....

Like a new form of hard labour, 5555

Pot is legal to grow in California now, and CA quality is superior to Mexican. I've heard some CA pot is being smuggled to Mexico. I jest not.

All in all, the War on Drugs has been a resounding failure. Here are some of its successes:

>>>> Made drug cartels and their bosses very very rich.

>>>> Brought in hundreds of millions of $$'s of equipment and salaries for drug enforcement and other cops.

>>>> Ensured low quality street drugs and dirty needles.

>>>> helped Reagan and other ignorant people get elected.to high offices

>>>> been a boon for prison budgets and salaries - particularly corporate-run prisons. More inmates = more profits, yipee!

Pot is legal to grow in California now, and CA quality is superior to Mexican. I've heard some CA pot is being smuggled to Mexico. I jest not.

All in all, the War on Drugs has been a resounding failure. Here are some of its successes:

>>>> Made drug cartels and their bosses very very rich.

>>>> Brought in hundreds of millions of $$'s of equipment and salaries for drug enforcement and other cops.

>>>> Ensured low quality street drugs and dirty needles.

>>>> helped Reagan and other ignorant people get elected.to high offices

>>>> been a boon for prison budgets and salaries - particularly corporate-run prisons. More inmates = more profits, yipee!

As was the War on Alcohol nearly a hundred years ago. Al Capone etc etc made serious money .