Witness For New Passport

I'm applying for a new passport and I need some one to witness it.

This is the second time I've done it.The first time my wife brought it round to the local Poo Yai Bahn or whatever and he signed the form but didn't have a stamp.

I wrote to my embassy and they said the stamp wasn't necessary

So this time I did the same thing but the embassy said that the stamp was necessary and sent back my application..

I was going to go to my local cop station but my missus said to stay away from them if I can.

Now I am in Mae Sai and will go to the immigration office in the morning but it's

a long trip from where I live.

I was just wondering what you do....espechialy if you live in the countryside.

Not sure why a witness is needed to get a passport renewed. But that must be a requirement from your home country.

Why is your wife reluctant to try the local police? They might do it.

The U.K. Requires a witness to confirm that the photos you submit with your application are actually you, the back of the photo is agh ed by the witness.

The witness must be a Policeman, Doctor(MD), Lawyer, Accountant or. JP

Same rules apply in Ireland

• Like 2

Not sure why a witness is needed to get a passport renewed. But that must be a requirement from your home country.

The U.K. Requires a witness to confirm that the photos you submit with your application are actually you, the back of the photo is agh ed by the witness.

No they do not.

Not if you are applying for a new passport.

Only if applying for your first passport.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 2

All new/first British passport applications require a counter signatory by someone who is known to the applicant for a minimum of two years.

Preferred persons are usually British Nationals so the UK passport agency can check on the counter signatory as well.

There is a list of persons and professions that are accepted by the UK passport agency,these usually include professions such as Police,Doctor,Publican and numerous others.

A good friend recently signed my daughters,he is a chief engineer,counter signatories can be retired also.

Sadly people such as the local Poo Yai Bahn aren't often excepted due to not being able to check up on them.

Thai nationals are not included on the list of counter signatories.

Edited by stoneyboy

I am puzzled.

Can you British really send photo and application via mail to the embassy and get a passport return via mail?

How about the biometrics?

Is it just for people who already have biometrics been recorded?

To give you an idea what I will have to do:

About beginning of June fill internet application (no paper application possible).

Wait some days for an "OK" mail (police check?) with details for appointment.

Do appointment max 50 days in advance for visit to the (Swiss) embassy.

End of July/beginning of August: visit embassy to get biometrics recorded and photo taken and pay 5xxx Baht.

Wait about 3 weeks for notification.

Send old passport via EMS to embassy.

Receive voided old and new passport via EMS.

Even worse for the Germans: a second(!) visit, they don't accept or send passports via EMS.

Only alternative: give power of attorney to another person to pickup.

Edited by KhunBENQ

No they do not.

Not if you are applying for a new passport.

Only if applying for your first passport.

Yes they do as I have recently applied for a new Irish passport and the form had a section that had to be completed by the witness who signed the back of the photos stating their occupation!!

The financial director at the company I work for did this for me as obviously being the financial director she is an accountant!!

However I will stand corrected about the British passport renewal as mine still has some time to run

And before you get all unnecessary I have dual citizenship

One of the benefits of being born in England to Irish parents

yes,it's the witness for the photos.just to say that it's the same face on the photos as on the old passport.

He/she doesn't have to give you a character reference but has to have a stamp.

Last time I put Poo Yai Bahn as Politician.

The Missus and the neighbors said not to ask the police for favors as they may ask me for favors later,lend money e.c.t.....country cops...

When my passport was damaged in Thailand I had to supply the Canadian embassy with 2 witnesses within Thailand and also 2 witnesses within Canada whom had known me for a minimum of two years in order to get my passport replaced. None of which could be family members. This was back in December.

Fact.

Edited by Rayk

yes,it's the witness for the photos.just to say that it's the same face on the photos as on the old passport.

The Missus and the neighbors said not to ask the police for favors as they may ask me for favors later,lend money e.c.t.....country cops...

Assuming you are British (?) a counter-signature is only required for a renewal only if you cannot be recognized from the photograph in your current passport. Below is an extract from OS_Guidance_Notes_09.15, section 10.

post-76988-0-98594700-1461507314_thumb.j

I have also attached the application & guidelines, OS_Form_010 & OS_Guidance_Notes_09.15

OS_Form_010.pdf

OS_Guidance_Notes_09.15.PDF

• Like 2

Is that not just for your first passport, I can't remember geting someone to sign for my second or third one

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by juice777

Is that not just for your first passport, I can't remember geting someone to sign for my second or third one

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That is because you did not. It is not a requirement.

I got my new UK passport just over a year ago and I did not need to have a witness signature. For proof of address here in Thailand I used my yellow house book but supposedly any utility bill with your name and address will do. Also you can have someone else pick up the new passport from Trendy if you do not fancy the trip to BKK. You will have to go there to apply in person but you can write a letter with a proxy's full name stating that you give them permission to collect on your behalf. They can then forward it to you by EMS mail.

They need a stamp? Are you sure? I got my new uk passport in 2014 whilst in uk, I got an ex colleague who is also a JP to counter sign the application and sign 1 of 2 photos, because I do look different from the photo in my previous photo.. Didn't need a stamp. And if you look recognisable to your old passport photo then you don't even need a counter signatory

Correct!

Correct!

NOT correct !

See post 16 for fact as opposed to fiction !

All new/first British passport applications require a counter signatory by someone who is known to the applicant for a minimum of two years.

Preferred persons are usually British Nationals so the UK passport agency can check on the counter signatory as well.

There is a list of persons and professions that are accepted by the UK passport agency,these usually include professions such as Police,Doctor,Publican and numerous others.

A good friend recently signed my daughters,he is a chief engineer,counter signatories can be retired also.

Sadly people such as the local Poo Yai Bahn aren't often excepted due to not being able to check up on them.

what a joke of a rule

what a joke of a rule

In fact the countries that have this quaint (joke?) rule only need to have it because they are the freest of free nations i.e. no national ID cards, no social security numbers, house registration books etc. As such, however naive it seems, they have no other way of knowing that you are who you say you are

If your country of nationality has no such requirement it is because your government already knows who you are and what you look like.

• Like 1

One other thing for UK passports: the countersignatory can not be a doctor unless they also happen to be a personal friend.

Links that support what you claim can be found where ?

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/when-to-sign-what-to-do

• be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

what a joke of a rule

In fact the countries that have this quaint (joke?) rule only need to have it because they are the freest of free nations i.e. no national ID cards, no social security numbers, house registration books etc. As such, however naive it seems, they have no other way of knowing that you are who you say you are

If your country of nationality has no such requirement it is because your government already knows who you are and what you look like.

so if you already have a passport, which is likely if you are in a foreign country there is no need for this rule.

Assuming you are British (?) a counter-signature is only required for a renewal only if you cannot be recognized from the photograph in your current passport. Below is an extract from OS_Guidance_Notes_09.15, section 10.

extract from notes.jpg

I have also attached the application & guidelines, OS_Form_010 & OS_Guidance_Notes_09.15

OS_Form_010.pdf

OS_Guidance_Notes_09.15.PDF

Seems like it's unnecessary in the OPs case to get a witness signature, unless he's just being cautious?

Or is ageing so much during the validity of his passport(s), he needs to get a witness to prove it's him on each renewal?