Consumers urged to beware of unsafe meat

webfact

Consumers urged to beware of unsafe meat

me.jpg

BANGKOK, 25 April 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Livestock Development has advised consumers to exercise caution when buying meat in summer during which time food can rot easily.

Deputy Director-General and spokesperson of the Department of Livestock, Sorawit Thaneto suggested that consumers only buy fresh meat from certified producers to avoid health risks associated with substandard meat.

Dr. Sorawit said it was inadvisable to buy raw meat from street vendors as the meat may have been butchered in substandard slaughter houses. He has also warned against buying unusually low-priced meat products, as they may be derived from sick animals.

According to Dr. Sorawit, quality pork should have vibrant pinkish color, even texture and little or no odor. Quality poultry should be of a pink color with yellowish skin and must not contain a lot of blood. Meat must be cooked at a temperature of at least 70 Degrees Celsius to prevent bacterial infection.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-25 footer_n.gif

The good doctor should have also mentioned about

keeping the fly's off the produce,

waving a swat on a stick

does not stop the fly's foot prints from leaving

deposits of shit from the dogs poo it has just left.

waving a swat on a stick

If their line of thinking is anything like my wife's family then they don't see flies as a problem. Her family doesn't or refuses to accept the fact that a thousand flies on their food that sits on the table is OK. Even after I installed screening throughout the house, they refused to close it to stop the flies.

waving a swat on a stick

If their line of thinking is anything like my wife's family then they don't see flies as a problem. Her family doesn't or refuses to accept the fact that a thousand flies on their food that sits on the table is OK. Even after I installed screening throughout the house, they refused to close it to stop the flies.
The only thing that stops my wife from buying fly covered meat, is my steadfast refusal to eat it. My friend bought a chicken from Tesco Lotus. When he got it home and opened it up for cooking, it was green inside. Even with the receipt, he'd an heck of a job getting a refund.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

What do you do if you're an ordinary Thai living far from giant supermarkets and you need to buy meat?

almost 99% of all meats sold in Thailand is from fresh kill and sold in open markets, just like they did over

centuries ago.... and not the government and no doctor will or can change that......

What do you do if you're an ordinary Thai living far from giant supermarkets and you need to buy meat?

almost 99% of all meats sold in Thailand is from fresh kill and sold in open markets, just like they did over

centuries ago.... and not the government and no doctor will or can change that......

Agreed what has gone before, education and purchase of a simple screen

to keep the pesky buggers off the meat is not that hard

My rule for buying meat, get to the markets before the flies wake up.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

It's so much better to eat at McDonald's where fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process the food is deemed unfit for human consumption and is no different than what is used for dog and cat food.

It is probably better to buy local where the meat is under refrigeration, there are no signs of insects, and you are familiar with the person selling the meat. It's not a guarantee, but at least you are cutting down on some of the dangers.

And, before the vegetarians start up, think of the dangers of all the chemicals uses in the growing of the vegetables and the quality of water used to wash them.

Edited by jaltsc

he want to take a visit to the stall serving food outside KS bar in Soi 4, all that raw meat simmering in the humid heat. not for me.

doesn't cooking kill bacteria ?

Bacteria can produce toxic material. Killing the bacteria doesn't eliminate the toxins already produced.

Actually if the meat is fresh and well cooked within 24 hours the flies are not a problem. I am not a doctor but a friend of mine is. He is the area medical officer not here in Thailand though and I expressed the same concerns as other member here have. His reply was "if the meat is fresh and well cooked within 24 hours it is not problem

It's so much better to eat at McDonald's where fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process the food is deemed unfit for human consumption and is no different than what is used for dog and cat food.

It is probably better to buy local where the meat is under refrigeration, there are no signs of insects, and you are familiar with the person selling the meat. It's not a guarantee, but at least you are cutting down on some of the dangers.

And, before the vegetarians start up, think of the dangers of all the chemicals uses in the growing of the vegetables and the quality of water used to wash them.

Haven't "enjoyed" the dog food from McD's since the '80s. Seeing falang at McD's/BK/KFC in Asia always gives me a chuckle. They should schedule I that stuff, it's obviously a drug not food.

one of the benefits of liviing in the baan nog.

0530, pork and beef sellers stop at the house on the way to market in town.

veggies from farmers who we know what they use on their land.

fish, caught that day, not kicking hard, not buying.

street market after 0800, no way.

Even if this were true, it wouldnt have to be. For starters, 20% of the population lives in BKK and has easy access to refrigerated meat sections at stores like Tesco, Big C, Max Value, etc. Same with most of the people that live in the capital cities of provinces. So the percentage of people who couldnt buy safe meats is very low.

Now, Im all for supporting the little guy. And you usually find more knowledgable staff with a better selection of cuts at the outdoor markets. But the markets needs to evolve to keep up with the chains. Just because it was done centuries ago doesnt mean it was better.

Have you everseen how the meat as well other frozen products are handele?

The you also understand the problem that is to be addressed even in shops like big c, tesco lotus,tops and so on.

Products are duecto this regulary refrozen or stored during the handling in such a way thatcfood safty is in danger.

The whole chain has to be trained and addresed.

The shops have to rearaanged so the cokd section is close to the counter. In sich a way that the product is not traveling thru the whole store during the shopping

And beaware of transport time and storage.

Also the customer sefl jas to be aware of this.

I never choose the fly struck chicken at the top of the pile, I dig deep for the chicken floating in the salmonella soup underneath instead. whistling.gif

Oh, and ever wondered what that strange chemical smell is around the market occasionally?.......formalin.