How Old is Too Old?

Philip550

I am considering moving to Thailand. I just turned 65 and have a pretty good income. I've visited LOS 16 times but only for a month at a time, however with out my wife and usually just a few traveling buds. Since 2001, like many, Iv'e dreamed of making the big move. I know what many you might say, "it all depends on how you feel and what you make of it, one month a year is not like real life in Thailand, can you deal with such a different lifestyle, do you have enough money?"

I guess I know all that, What I don't know is why I'm such a chicken shit!. My wife will go, money is not an issue..i think. I can honestly say that although I have never lived there, I've loved each and every day I spent in LOS. I'm not just talking about the fun and crazy times of the nightlife but also I have made many friends in Surin, Chaiyaphum, Chiang Rai etc., and had a blast in these areas as well. In fact, seems like my last 6 or 7 visits I spent more and more time in the non tourist cities. Sooooo... what the hell is holding me back? Have any of you older guys who have made the move had such anxiety. Did it lessen over time? I've had very stressful jobs through out my life and made critical decisions with relative ease so I'm a bit confused why now am i so freakin hesitant? I think part of the reason may be somewhere deep in my addled brain and I think I"m too old. Am I? lol

thanks for any insights

Phil

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesnt really matter what anyone says here. No one can answer this for you and your hesitation probably is all the answer you need. If you think you are, you probably are. Also if its taken you 15 years to get to this point I also question your ability to make "crucial decisions with relative ease" Just stick to being a holiday maker and enjoy your time and friends here when your here.

Have you been to Chiang Mai? It's full of expats who moved here after age 65. Actually the idea of someone coming here at age 65 to start a "new life" wouldn't be considered odd at all.

I have two concerns from your post, however. You mentioned that your wife hasn't been here? What about her? You said you've been with your male friends, but not with her. If you plan to come with her, you should do a trial trip with her to see if she likes it. I've seen many couples come here together where one is more motivated than the other and usually it ends up in a split -- sometimes an expensive and emotionally trying split that could have been easier if both just admitted it was better to part ways earlier. But, there are exceptions -- my husband and I included. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of retiring here, but once we came for a one-month "trial retirement" in 2008, I discovered I loved the Chiang Mai lifestyle and returned back to the U.S. very motivated to get rid of our household of stuff and prepare for our move to Thailand. There's much more for older ladies to do in Chiang Mai than any of the other cities you mentioned.

The other concern I have is that you have enough money to cover health emergencies. Older people don't think about that or they go to a Thai hospital for a simple procedure and think that all health care is cheap here. It isn't and you need to have sufficient financial reserves for several major health crises. At age 65 it's going to be difficult to get comprehensive medical insurance.

Some people feel like their still in their 40's and they look much younger than their age . So its difficult to give you advice. If you do not have any health concerns and are not too much worried about the future just go for it.

Edited by balo

When this kind of Q pops up, I always recommend a "trial," as mentioned by NancyL, but I recommend at least six months of living where you think you might retire to. And living in an apartment, not a fancy hotel. Get used to the climate ("best" to come inthe hot season?), shopping, lack of many items you might be used to, transportation, travel, etc.

And, again as NancyL said, medical insurance is really important. Would your present plan cover both you and your wife over here?

Mac

Thailand is a pretty good place to retire to, as long as you have money. This is particular important for health issues which, as mentioned, can become very expensive here. So either have insurance or a very large bank balance.

Most services work fairly well, accommodation and eating out doesnt cost too much (though alcohol isnt cheap), and it's quite cheap to hire people to do things for you (though not always easy to find them or to get them to understand what you want done).

You sound comfortable, but are you happy ? Moving to Thailand might be fun. Most people, including my wife and I, seem to get bored with Thailand after eight years. Some will say they have lived there for 50 years and are still happy. An 85 year old buddy travels from Mongolia to Indonesia. Moving around is the best way to stay happy.

Edited by yellowboat

Sell nothing in the UK, come for six to twelve months, if all goes well if you need the cash sell up in the UK otherwise just continue staying with UK options not closed

Yes, as above, just don't burn your bridges. There are variations. You could spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 months back home, or some combination if you can afford it.

It is not a life sentence! You can always return back home if it does not suit you.

Good luck.

Come away from the UK winter go back for summer........ best bet imo

If money is not an issue, I agree with the suggestion of a trial 6 month stay, renting an apartment or house for that period. Yes, Chiang Mai is a good location because it has all the city amenities and a relaxed/refined style of living, most suitable for elderly ex-pats. However, the poor air quality between Feb-April in most Northern provinces is a respiratory health hazard. But, of course, with ample funds, you could always travel elsewhere during that period and enjoy the rest of Thailand - not Koh Tao, though..

I'm a bit confused why now am i so freakin hesitant?

Maybe you are not 100% convinced that it will work.

Anyway, as already said above, you are the only one who knows what to do.

Don't ask friends help you take a decision, you might hate them later if you follow their advice and it is a fiasco.

To find out by yourself if you really want to do the "big move".

Take a blank sheet of paper and draw 2 vertical lines to divide it in 3 parts. On the top of the left column write "QUESTIONS", on the middle one "PRO" and on the last one "CONTRA".

Keep that paper in your pocket all the time and when a question comes in your thoughts, write it down. Don't try to find answers immediately, they will come by theirselves... and when they come, write them down in the corresponding column.

When you have time, sit down with your wife, drink a cup of tea and talk, try to find some answers for the other column.

Don't forget to always have a "Plan X" (extreme solution) for every question.

For exemple, when I wrote that list of questions before I moved here, there was the question "What if it doesn't work and I've nowhere to go in my country of origin? The "plan X" was : I will go back to my mom.

Hope you will find an answer to all your questions.

whistling.gif For what?

I am within 6 months of my 70th birthday this year in October.

And even at almost 70,i don't feel "to old" to live my life every day.

Just do it, you' are not dead yet, are you?

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Very clearly the best among Thais are their women, or rather their daughters.

Certainly there are other advantages are:

- Low prices combined with a comfort equivalent to that of the West.

- The generally friendly and welcoming population.

- The overall very restrictive formalities.

- A Buddhist elegance to be found everywhere and makes meetings and ballads particularly pleasant.

This is all well and good, but not enough to take the step. better to stay visitor.

However many have fortune to meet here a sweet partner, bubbly and loving that enchant every moment of the day (and of the night). These are happy living here. They have no desire to come back and in my case for example, obligation to return sometime in my country to manage patrimony is a real chore.

I have the same age as you, but now I know that for this project the age does not matter and I would do it again with 10 more years.

you leave room for a lot of questions... what do you think is holding you back. You have certainly spent enough time here to know that you have a good time here and that is still replicable at 65... being 65 won't change the fun, though maybe being here with your wife will...

sorry if that is too personal but only you can really know what is holding you back - my guess was the obvious one.

ps - there is an old story of a guy who is 50 yrs old and always wanted to be a doctor and now has the time and money for education. He tells his friend that he is now too old as he will be 60 by the time he gets his degree - the friend answers that in 10 years you will be 60 no matter what, but if you go to med school, you will be 60 and now be a doctor...

Edited by kenk24

whistling.gif For what?

I am within 6 months of my 70th birthday this year in October.

And even at almost 70,i don't feel "to old" to live my life every day.

Just do it, you' are not dead yet, are you?

. Just a Damn Number, I'm 59, look 49, no smoke not too much drink, feel like I'm 30

I moved to Bangkok from the US on September 1st, 2013 at the age of 64. It wasn't easy at first, but you get comfortable once you figure out where to find things you need and set up a routine. Gym workouts 5 days a week establishes that for me. I gave myself one year to see how I liked it, and I like it. In fact, it gets easier every year living here. I have a nest egg for possible unforeseen medical issues over 3 million baht, but hope to never use it for that purpose. If I get seriously sick, I will go back to America and utilize my Medicare program which is a good one. So, give yourself a time frame for being here, and change it as you move forward. You will be in good company once you move here. I am single, so I wouldn't even comment on you the wife situation because I would have no idea how to go about it. And don't forget. You don't have to move here. And if you do make the move, you can always go back home if it doesn't work out with the comfort of at least doing it. It's a win-win for you.

Interesting!

Never too old!

I spent many years making "important" corporate decisions. When I got older I wondered if they had all been wrong and now I am fairly sure it is best to do the opposite of what my rationality and education would have before led me to do.

Thailand? It is a big place. So where?

What are you going to do? Lie on a beach? Play golf? Drink all day? Watch HBO? For 25 years? What is your wife going to do?

What about the language? And the practicalities of daily life?

There's a lot of wisdom on TV. HEALTHCARE!!! Put toes in the water. Don't burn bridges.

Good luck (Think you'll need it)

If you have no hair, more than 10 missing teeth, need a walker, on oxygen, and have lots of money, Thailand has many gals for you!

What makes an old man old is an old western woman! In my opinion of course!

A younger woman will take you to the dentist, throw out the walker, and open up the lung capacity,

A combination of sunshine, long walks, healthy, farm fresh fruits and veggies and youthful energy will transform you into a new man with a younger mind and stronger body.

Get out of the lounge chair, stop worrying and and start a new, happy life.

Only you can make it happen with positive thoughts.