Why the incredible traffic congestion in Pattaya?

Asiantravel

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One wonders, all the money that is being spent on the tunnel, if a flyover had been built, what other improvements could have been made to improve the traffic flow with the left over money.

Loads

Flyover would have been fine.

but maybe would have had to split the cash to many ways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have know idea how much the Fast Rescue Boat mooring station will cost. giggle.gif

Amazing pattaya

Ah, I remember just a few years ago when there really was a slow season as far as traffic is concerned. I so miss that. What I did notice was the traffic level greatly increased, coincidentally or not right after the Bangkok floods of a few years ago. I suspect so many people moved to the Pattaya area because it is one of the nearby larger cities that has some infrastructure. Of course it could have been the large increase at that time of Russians "living" there. Don't know.

I'm thinking of staying in Bangkok for the rest of the holiday week. At least there I can take the BTS/MRT.

Just arrived here, traffic seems usual, as in slow&tight. Part of the problem for outward traffic from Pattaya is a flyover has been dug open on 7, throttling three lanes to one. Might be better to take 3 through Sri Racha.

One thing the Bangkokers do have is they will give you the car lenght + 10cm when you need to change lanes, whereas the amateur hour in Pattaya suk has banoork drivers thinking you changing the lane in front of them is akin to sodomizing their virgin daughter and will do their damnest to block you. This is especially true if they drive a Fortuner or Ranger.

... whereas the amateur hour in Pattaya suk has banoork drivers thinking you changing the lane in front of them is akin to sodomizing their virgin daughter and will do their damnest to block you. This is especially true if they drive a... Ranger.

That will be Mrs NL in the 'sports lorry', I am out of the country just now.

I reckon she's quite professional about it.

quality chinese tourists like to travel by bus whistling.gif

Whomever they are is not at stake.

In my dreams, City Council is focusing on bus logistics: offering dedicated parking lots, not allowing drivers to use their nearly empty bus to drive clientele to entertainment venues and restaurants (shuttles are more efficient). Simple measures that would automatically free tens of km lanes on main avenues and lower exhaust and noise pollution to bearable levels.violin.gif

How about completely pedestrianizing *ALL* of Central Pattaya.

Only delivery vehicles and electric baht bus on the main roads.

What is the OP comparing his observations to?

Traffic in pattaya is always bad but over the last few months/years has got a lot worse due to the major civil engineering project on Sukhumvit and the resulting spin-offs - e.g. infrastructure alterations and the resulting road works elsewhere.

basically little or no thought had been given to how traffic will flow without full access to Sukumvit and the Central Pattaya Junction. This has resulted in rat-runs around the back-streets being over crowded. These back streets are largely unsuitable for large vehicles - e.g. buses and Trucks.

Add to this various holiday seasons.....Easter, Song Khran and May-day, the amount of traffic into Pattaya over the past few weeks has been particularly high.

Yet again it falls to the local authorities and police to formulate coordinate4d traffic plans to cope with the various peaks in traffic...i have seen no evidence whatsoever of this - all I have seen is localised reactions to buildups in traffic AFTER they occur, normally the resulting precautions simply result in a traffic build-up and blockage else where.

in most countries this would result in people resigning from the job - however as it appears in Pattaya, no-one actually has this job, it is difficult to see any improvement soon

Edited by cumgranosalum

In my dreams, City Council is focusing on bus logistics: offering dedicated parking lots, not allowing drivers to use their nearly empty bus to drive clientele to entertainment venues and restaurants (shuttles are more efficient). Simple measures that would automatically free tens of km lanes on main avenues and lower exhaust and noise pollution to bearable levels.violin.gif

ON THE MONEY, JayBird! Ban buses in the block from (and including) P. Nua north and P. Thai south; and Suk east and Beach Rd west. Problem absolutely solved. ... Build couple of large parking areas for buses OUTSIDE of that block.

ON THE MONEY, JayBird! Ban buses in the block from (and including) P. Nua north and P. Thai south; and Suk east and Beach Rd west. Problem absolutely solved. ... Build couple of large parking areas for buses OUTSIDE of that block.

Buses ARE delivery vehicles. How else do you expect to get all those tourists (and their bags) from the "new bus parks" to the beach?...a few extra Song Taews?...or maybe a fleet of minivans?...far less efficient than a big bus.

Traffic in pattaya is always bad but over the last few months/years has got a lot worse due to the major civil engineering project on Sukhumvit and the resulting spin-offs - e.g. infrastructure alterations and the resulting road works elsewhere.

basically little or no thought had been given to how traffic will flow without full access to Sukumvit and the Central Pattaya Junction. This has resulted in rat-runs around the back-streets being over crowded. These back streets are largely unsuitable for large vehicles - e.g. buses and Trucks.

Add to this various holiday seasons.....Easter, Song Khran and May-day, the amount of traffic into Pattaya over the past few weeks has been particularly high.

Yet again it falls to the local authorities and police to formulate coordinate4d traffic plans to cope with the various peaks in traffic...i have seen no evidence whatsoever of this - all I have seen is localised reactions to buildups in traffic AFTER they occur, normally the resulting precautions simply result in a traffic build-up and blockage else where.

in most countries this would result in people resigning from the job - however as it appears in Pattaya, no-one actually has this job, it is difficult to see any improvement soon

Traffic is fine today. Congestion is to be expected in any popular beach resort town on weekends and holiday periods...nothing unusual about that. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Traffic is fine today. Congestion is to be expected in any popular beach resort town on weekends and holiday periods...nothing unusual about that.

The lull before the storm!

Have to say i was quite surprised how quiet it was out this morning though. Even immigration was not as busy as i expected as they are going to be closed until Tuesday from tomorrow and was in/out in 10 mins for 90 day report.

Traffic is fine today. Congestion is to be expected in any popular beach resort town on weekends and holiday periods...nothing unusual about that.

Have to say i was quite surprised how quiet it was out this morning though. Even immigration was not as busy as i expected as they are going to be closed until Tuesday from tomorrow and was in/out in 10 mins for 90 day report.

Those drivers...they're all "Animals" out there ?

5 day "long weekend" for government officials.

Be prepared for some extra traffic.

Not quite comparable with the big holidays though, privileged class only.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Normally Pattaya has "rush hours" - this will diminish over the holiday and will be replaced by a rush hour in the evenings into the town as people come in for their holidays then the other direction at the end when they leave.

All pretty predictable...except that the roads will be unable to cope with jams building up at the end of the 7, on the back road by the railway line - especially the crossings - and the usual mess on Sukhumvit.

it will all be made worse by the cockamamie ideas that the police have on how to deal with the heavy traffic.

Yes - nothing unusual with the traffic at all, what is unusual is Pattaya's inability to cope with it.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Normally Pattaya has "rush hours" - this will diminish over the holiday and will be replaced by a rush hour in the evenings into the town as people come in for their holidays then the other direction at the end when they leave.

All pretty predictable...except that the roads will be unable to cope with jams building up at the end of the 7, on the back road by the railway line - especially the crossings - and the usual mess on Sukhumvit.

it will all be made worse by the cockamamie ideas that the police have on how to deal with the heavy traffic.

Don't forget, sometime in the next few months, they will also start collecting tolls on 7 on the Pattaya exit...also give out tickets for those going towards Bangkok.

Don't forget, sometime in the next few months, they will also start collecting tolls on 7 on the Pattaya exit...also give out tickets for those going towards Bangkok.

The extra 60 baht or so probably will do nothing about the traffic in Pattaya, but it might make the heavier traffic use the frontage road and ease approaching Patts a bit.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make - that is unlikely to affect the number of vehicles coming in and out of Pattaya. It may drive some onto the old road again - something a doubt the authorities have any numbers or research on......it will also inevitably cause delays at the end and other exits on the seven. The workings are already causing delays just to navigate through without paying.

... whereas the amateur hour in Pattaya suk has banoork drivers thinking you changing the lane in front of them is akin to sodomizing their virgin daughter and will do their damnest to block you. This is especially true if they drive a... Ranger.

That will be Mrs NL in the 'sports lorry', I am out of the country just now.

I reckon she's quite professional about it.

Just make sure NL the missus is not being "quite professional" about taking advantage of your absence whistling.gif

except in any popular beach resort town on weekends and holiday periods in other parts of the world you will probably find traffic warden type officials assisting with the smooth flow of traffic such as for example by clamping down on double parking.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make - that is unlikely to affect the number of vehicles coming in and out of Pattaya. It may drive some onto the old road again - something a doubt the authorities have any numbers or research on......it will also inevitably cause delays at the end and other exits on the seven. The workings are already causing delays just to navigate through without paying.
Don't know either...only that it will start soon ?

No, I was referring to the pink parking structure in the background. I haven't been in a few months but I assume it's still in operation and free. The lot you have pictured was another option but usually full; and as you say, I guess now closed.

Yes its still open the attendant told me that the first 3 hours are free then 20 baht for the first hour and 10 baht per hour after that.....

"someone" had told me it was not free so all these years I didn't even bother with it facepalm.gif

post-2109-0-53831400-1462510374_thumb.jp
Edited by johng

No, I was referring to the pink parking structure in the background. I haven't been in a few months but I assume it's still in operation and free. The lot you have pictured was another option but usually full; and as you say, I guess now closed.

Yes its still open the attendant told me that the first 3 hours are free then 20 baht for the first hour and 10 baht per hour after that.....

"someone" had told me it was not free so all these years I didn't even bother with it facepalm.gif

Gotta come to T-V for the real dope ?

I'll let you in on another hack for this parking garage. Instead of going up into the structure, take an immediate left after the ticket booth and go around the back. There is usually parking along the outside back wall or in the mini-lot as you come around the outside. I've never actually had to go up into the structure. However, your car may not be under cover so will get hot. Also, be aware the garage closes at 9 (I think...check with them) and after the gate goes up, you won't be able to retrieve your car till the next morning.

There will be no toll booths at the Pattaya exit or entrance. The first, and last toll booth if you come from Bangkok, will be at the Nongprue exit.

I'll let you in on another hack for this parking garage. Instead of going up into the structure, take an immediate left after the ticket booth and go around the back. There is usually parking along the outside back wall or in the mini-lot as you come around the outside. I've never actually had to go up into the structure. However, your car may not be under cover so will get hot. Also, be aware the garage closes at 9 (I think...check with them) and after the gate goes up, you won't be able to retrieve your car till the next morning.

Thanks for the info.... sign on the ticket booth says 09-00 till 21-00

There will be no toll booths at the Pattaya exit or entrance. The first, and last toll booth if you come from Bangkok, will be at the Nongprue exit.

I see, but isn't ALL the traffic going to be directed through those booths at the Nongprue turn-off?

I see, but isn't ALL the traffic going to be directed through those booths at the Nongprue turn-off?

Yes of course, because that is the end of the tollway, but there will be double the amount of what you see now, as they are currently building on the part of the highway that is blocked.

I guess with at least 8 lanes of toll booths, that shouldn't be an issue.

Yes of course, because that is the end of the tollway, but there will be double the amount of what you see now, as they are currently building on the part of the highway that is blocked.

I guess with at least 8 lanes of toll booths, that shouldn't be an issue.

OK - someone has estimated the amount of traffic flowing through and the maximum and minimum amount of toll booths that will be required.

First guess - they have probably got that wrong.

My second guess is that when those tolls are running there will hardly ever be enough actually manned to handle the traffic....huge back ups with various lanes closed because no-one thought to get the extra staff.

Of course they could fit the basket type tolls and you just throw in your coin.......that'd require a bit of education too.

i am of course just guessing....but they are educated guessed based on my experiences on the Route nine tolls e/w on the Kanchanaprisek bridge and the time I've spent gazing over towards Ikea thinking I'd rather be erecting a flatpack.

Thanks for the info.... sign on the ticket booth says 09-00 till 21-00

I normally park there when I go shopping at Tukcom . FIrst 3 hours is free but if you show them a receipt from Tops or another shop inside you will get 4 hours free parking .

Of course they could fit the basket type tolls and you just throw in your coin.......that'd require a bit of education too.

There's a blast from the past. Highway 7 uses the electronic m-pass, I got one and it works just fine.