restaurant suggestions nana area

krey

What you are looking for doesnt exist in that area.

Surely you jest??

Within 200 meters of Nana there is a superabundance of choice - from cheap to super expensive.

The Landmark is usually my "go to" place, either the Huntsman Pub in the basement or the rooftop Steakhouse if you want to splurge.

Even more expensive - as already mentioned - would be the New York Steakhouse in the Marriott Hotel. Excellent lunchtime Buffet there too, although I personally prefer the Plaza Athene in Wireless Road.

Cheap(ish) end would be Tony Romas almost directly opposite Nana.

Indian / Middle Eastern - there are a dozen good places in Nana Soi 3 (opposite the Nana Soi 4 "Entertainment Plaza").

Seriously, in that area you are spoilt for choice without a doubt.

Patrick

Sorry P, I wasnt specific enough, I was referring to Seafood places.

The place I mentioned works out about 350/400 baht per head.

Tom Ka Gai large bowl.

Pla (ka pong) sam rot.

Tort man kung.

Tort man pla.

Sai thung klap baan, LOL.

Notice you didnt recommend any seafood places, I am all ears in that part of town, no offence.

Yes within that part of town, there are plenty of places, hotels etc.

But to my taste they are too farangised and poncified.

As usual, OP doesnt mention his price range, is 1500 baht per head too much?

Perhaps a 50 baht on soi 5 is what he wants?

If it is seafood you are after I would suggest Phuket. I can't imagine why anybody would buy seafood away from the coast.

So you are sure all the seafood you eat in Phuket comes from local waters? giggle.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl's Jr. Best steaks in Bangkok outside of America. Hamburger style, 100% pure meat. Unbeatable. Would never set foot in a McDonald's or Burger King again.

I must admit I have never been to Carl's Jr., I'm not a fan of Fast Food places usually, but I very sincerely doubt that their steak is anywhere near being "the best in Bangkok".

Patrick

Without trying to hijack the thread , im going to be in the area , prob soi 8 or 11 , its been a few years

When im in thailand I want to eat thai food ,

I know its a touristy area , so its not the best for thai food ,

But if anyone can give me some tips for good cheap thai eats , including street food spots , that would be appreciated ,

Cheers

cheap eats, but better than street food:

the food court on the 5th floor or so of Terminal 21, or the smaller food court in the basement of the Robinson's/Tops center between Suk Soi 17 and 19.

The T21 food court probably averages 40b per dish, while the Robinson's food court probably averages about 50b per dish.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Surely you jest??

Within 200 meters of Nana there is a superabundance of choice - from cheap to super expensive.

The Landmark is usually my "go to" place, either the Huntsman Pub in the basement or the rooftop Steakhouse if you want to splurge.

Even more expensive - as already mentioned - would be the New York Steakhouse in the Marriott Hotel. Excellent lunchtime Buffet there too, although I personally prefer the Plaza Athene in Wireless Road.

Indian / Middle Eastern - there are a dozen good places in Nana Soi 3 (opposite the Nana Soi 4 "Entertainment Plaza").

Patrick

Tom Ka Gai large bowl.

Pla (ka pong) sam rot.

Tort man kung.

Tort man pla.

Notice you didnt recommend any seafood places, I am all ears in that part of town, no offence.

If it is seafood you are after I would suggest Phuket. I can't imagine why anybody would buy seafood away from the coast.

So you are sure all the seafood you eat in Phuket comes from local waters? giggle.gif

I could just be ignorant but limit eating seafood to areas on the sea. But yeah if I order Maine lobster I am guessing it isn't from local Phuket waters.

You mean the Outback in the Siam Discovery mall, that's been mostly closed in recent months for renovation?

I haven't been by there lately, but I didn't have any impression that they (Outback) has reopened as yet.

I've never had their steaks there, but did think they did a good job with their hamburgers.

Surely you jest??

Patrick

Tom Ka Gai large bowl.

Pla (ka pong) sam rot.

Tort man kung.

Tort man pla.

Bangkok is at the coast:

http://www.bangkok-maps.com/#

scroll down a bit

Edited by FritsSikkink

Surely you jest??

Patrick

Tom Ka Gai large bowl.

Pla (ka pong) sam rot.

Tort man kung.

Tort man pla.

Bangkok is at the coast:

scroll down a bit

Yeah sure.

I like to occasionally visit the Old German Beerhouse on 11.

German slanted food, but not 100% so. Good variety.

They used to have a pig roast but no longer I fear, it was something else.

Decent price, full plate and you always strike up a conversation at that little round bar.

I like to occasionally visit the Old German Beerhouse on 11.

German slanted food, but not 100% so. Good variety.

They used to have a pig roast but no longer I fear, it was something else.

Decent price, full plate and you always strike up a conversation at that little round bar.

I like the beer at the German place and agree about good conversation.

The Happy Hour prices are decent as well.

Never eaten there however.

Lots of eating spots on 11....I'd probably go for the Dosa place over the rest...unless visiting the expensive Indian at Fraser Suites.

Gaucho's I wouldn't dream of paying five grand for their steak and frozen chips.

I ate in Carl's Jr once. Was like eating hot oily mud.

If I want western food, I go to Chequers in soi 4. Great quality and value.

Personally I prefer Jools.

Cant stand the up themselves farang clientele of Chequers.

Not talking about the blow ins and tourists who know no better.

Lots of places to eat on Soi 11

Snapper for seafood, in the Cheap Charlie cul de sac

26818993976_e21bfba321_b.jpg

Firehouse for burgers, I believe El Gaucho is closed now (but still open at the Soi 19 location)

26247502654_fc3e9b36d8_b.jpg

Chili Culture for Thai

26852901525_76014318e4_b.jpg

Old German Beer House has been mentioned, and they don't add 17% to the bill for tax and service like these other places

26785395501_a7646a0010_b.jpg

If you like some live music with your meal in the evening there's Rosenbieng, Apoteka, or Zanzabar

26247581734_d3265249a1_b.jpg

26759045722_ae3e87fdf4_b.jpg

Surely you jest??

Patrick

Tom Ka Gai large bowl.

Pla (ka pong) sam rot.

Tort man kung.

Tort man pla.

Marriott does a great seafood buffet next soi down from the 4

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Surely you jest??

Patrick

Tom Ka Gai large bowl.

Pla (ka pong) sam rot.

Tort man kung.

Tort man pla.

Bangkok is at the coast:

scroll down a bit

Yeah sure.

jeez you are dumb

I am aware of the geography of the region. I am in Ayutthaya right now. That being said I don't eat seafood here, I don't eat it in Bangkok and I surely don't eat it from anywhere near the confluence of the river going into the gulf.

I am not sure why you think I am stupid but maybe you should consider your consumption of seafood products that are laden with pollution and heavy metals.

Call me stupid but I really don't like to eat seafood caught directly in front of the Chonburi battery manufacturing factory. I might be old fashioned.

I am aware of the geography of the region. I am in Ayutthaya right now. That being said I don't eat seafood here, I don't eat it in Bangkok and I surely don't eat it from anywhere near the confluence of the river going into the gulf.

I am not sure why you think I am stupid but maybe you should consider your consumption of seafood products that are laden with pollution and heavy metals.

Call me stupid but I really don't like to eat seafood caught directly in front of the Chonburi battery manufacturing factory. I might be old fashioned.

Loads of seafood eaten in Bangkok comes from the south.

I did not see Prai Raya listed on this page, it is one of the better restaurants for Thai food in the Nana area. It is located about 300 metres down Sukhumvit Soi 8 -- a little past the second 7/11 store on Soi 8 (on the other side from 7/11).

It is fairly busy at both lunch and dinner, and has a fair amount of parking for the many Thais who drive their -- that frequent the restaurant.

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/bangkok-restaurant-reviews/prai-raya

My favourite Thai restaurant anywhere in Thailand is right next to Nana and has fantastic seafood,as you can see by the photo of the Whole Grouper in Sweet Chilli Sauce,Prawn Cakes and wonderful Tom Yam Koong!It's the new Soi 5 Food Center which has now moved from Soi 5 to next door to McDonald's and the petrol/gas station. smile.png

post-258041-0-19034800-1462658429_thumb.

I ate in Carl's Jr once. Was like eating hot oily mud.

If I want western food, I go to Chequers in soi 4. Great quality and value.

Personally I prefer Jools.

Cant stand the up themselves farang clientele of Chequers.

Not talking about the blow ins and tourists who know no better.

Jools used to be notable for huge portions of decent food at reasonable prices. Is this still true? It's been a while since I last went there.

The upstairs dining room was always a peaceful and relaxing place to enjoy a meal. The downstairs bar area seemed populated by a closed group that did not make intruders feel welcome.

I especially remember the huge bar chair, throne to the equally huge onetime owner.

Sounds good , so where is it exactly ? next to Nana Plaza ?

if I understand him correctly its across the street (Sukhumvit) from Nana Plaza.

Walk up soi 4 Sukhumvit to Sukhumvit, make a left, pass the gas station, and there it is to your left

(note,

Nana Plaza and Nana Entertainment Plaza (the girlie place) are two different venues,

Nana Plaza is the building on the corner of Soi 3 Sukhumvit and Sukhumvit

Nana Entertainment Plaza is on your left hand about 150 meters down Soi 4 Sukhumvit)

Edited by melvinmelvin

Re the food shop at the corner of Suk Road and Suk Soi 4, next to the gas station at the corner there, it's a bit hard for me to believe that place is any kind of reincarnation of the late Soi 5 outdoor food and seafood center.

The new place is just a single width small indoors food shop with a few tables. The late Soi 5 place was a huge sprawling place with many different food and drink sellers all congregated under that former outdoor canopy.

The Kiwi Grill & Bar, Soi 8' 150M on left from Nana Skytrain. Varied menu of Western & Thai food. Their menu is on their website.

The old Soi 8/The Kiwi bar lost its soul once big Irish Mick the manager left!