Birmingham, UK Thai Consulate CLOSED!

The $64,000 question, I think, is whether the closure is permanent, or whether a new honorary consul will be appointed (by the London Embassy, presumably?) and the consulate then re-opened.

And it should not be forgotten that the consulate's closure will also prove inconvenient for any Thai nationals living in the West Midlands, who will presumably now have to hop on a Virgin or London Midland train to Euston whenever they need consular services.sad.png

Which is largely the question I asked in post number 2 in this thread until idiots derailed it, it seems odd that it would not reopen just because of a death unless there was a desire to reduce costs or consolidate offices as so often happens with say UK consultaes. e.g chiang mai consulate.

The $64,000 question, I think, is whether the closure is permanent, or whether a new honorary consul will be appointed (by the London Embassy, presumably?) and the consulate then re-opened.

And it should not be forgotten that the consulate's closure will also prove inconvenient for any Thai nationals living in the West Midlands, who will presumably now have to hop on a Virgin or London Midland train to Euston whenever they need consular services.sad.png

If they found a person willing to be a honorary consul the consulate would be at a new location. Honorary consulates are owned or leased by the honorary consul.

A honorary consulate can offer little assistance to Thais. The cannot do passports, ID cards, birth registration and etc.

Just go a bit south west, another great service [Visa's within an hour for Thailand] at Cardiff .. 9 Mt Stuart Square, Cardiff Bay, South Glamorgan CF10 5EE

http://www.thaiconsulatewales.org.uk/index.htm

or go a bit North west and use the Thai Consulate at 35 Lord St, Liverpool L2 9SQ, United Kingdom

http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/

no need to go/send to the Embassy in London

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

And this is about what: cost cutting, consolidation, we don't like you any more?

None of those for an honorary Thai consulate, They are not funded by the Thai government.

It seems as written in the OP the Honorary Consul has died.

Darn shame... for my visas etc. they were, swift, efficient, accurate and extremely courteous, I couldn't have asked for more. May the Consul rest in peace, and my condolences to the family.

What about Hull?

Still open if that is what your mean.

Yes it is still open and from what I hear is still giving a good service. I use to use them before I moved here permanently and were always very efficient and a very quick service.

• Like 1

Visited the Thai Consulate in Birmingham, UK this morning to discover, as from last week it is now CLOSED!

A lady at the reception of the office block gave me a letter explaining that the Thai Consulate as passed away and therefore the Consulate can no longer stay open!?

I checked the web site yesterday and I was unable to open the page (just thought there was a problem with the web page).

Dialled the number and a recorded message saying...number no longer in use!?

Googled for more information, but nothing on the Internet.

Please make people aware so they can make other arrangements for obtaining Visas!

Can anyone clarify the situation?

Thank you for letting us know that we can no longer access Thai consular services from the Thai honorary consulate formerly located in Birmingham. Your message will save the people located in the Midlands unnecessary journeys.

I note that a Google search still records "Royal Thai Consulate in BIRMINGHAM, England Address: One Victoria Square,Birmingham Tel: 0121 643 9481" but as you stated the website no longer works.

The literate among us thank you for your good information.

Just go a bit south west, another great service [Visa's within an hour for Thailand] at Cardiff .. 9 Mt Stuart Square, Cardiff Bay, South Glamorgan CF10 5EE

or go a bit North west and use the Thai Consulate at 35 Lord St, Liverpool L2 9SQ, United Kingdom

Is it possible to apply for a class O visa in Cardiff ??

I was not aware of the ability to get visas like this anywhere other than London or Hull.

I was not aware of the ability to get visas like this anywhere other than London or Hull.

Single entry? Multiple entry ? And on what basis would you be applying ?

And this is about what: cost cutting, consolidation, we don't like you any more?

Your sarcastic comment is misplaced !

What do you find so difficult to understand about the Hon Consul (sadly) dying ?

No sarcasm intended, I simply want to better understand why the Embassy closed, after all, if the UK Bangkok Embassy closed just because the Consul passed away and wasn't replaced, that would be surprising.

DO YOU GET IT NOW!

Slow down girls, a huge difference between an Embassy and a consulate. The Ambassor in an Embassy is and has to be a native of the country he represents. A consulate generally has honorary Consuls, as was the case with the Cardiff Consulate. If an honorary Consul should sadly pass on, as seems the case with Brum, then if there is no replacement then with no Consul, the office cannot be an official Consulate.

I don't know about Birmingham, but I am pretty sure that the consulate in Cardiff was staffed by uk passport holders and not one Thai was on site.

Married to a Thai.....probably multiple entry....with a view to getting a work permit.

I note that a Google search still records "Royal Thai Consulate in BIRMINGHAM, England Address: One Victoria Square,Birmingham Tel: 0121 643 9481" but as you stated the website no longer works.

Somebody seems to have reported the closure of the consulate to Google.

post-21260-0-45641700-1461752083_thumb.g

Married to a Thai.....probably multiple entry....with a view to getting a work permit.

If you want a multiple entry visa you may have to apply at the Embassy but no harm will be caused by inquiring of the Cardiff Consul

Think the website says it all, that is why I posted the web address... phone them to check they give there phone number and opening hours................ Yes there is 'Hul' but way more north, not close to Birmingham, used to be one I remember at 'Manchester' but think that has also permanently closed

From website:

Please note that consulates are not authorised to issue all the above Non-Immigrant visa's, some may be submitted to the Thai Embassy in London, please contact us for further information

Like the good one in Perth Australia, also permanently closed in 2010.. but a Thai Consulate started up again in Perth at a different address with a Lady Consul and lot of different rules. [few years ago now 2012?]

What about Hull?

Still open if that is what your mean.

Yes it is still open and from what I hear is still giving a good service. I use to use them before I moved here permanently and were always very efficient and a very quick service.

They're still more than fine for tourist visas according to a recent thread. But not so great for non-O visas these days, I gather.

If you want a multiple entry visa you may have to apply at the Embassy but no harm will be caused by inquiring of the Cardiff Consul

Looks like he might be OK for applying for a multi-entry non-O based on marriage there if their website at http://www.thaiconsulatewales.org.uk/visas.htm#NON IMMIGRANT VISA is to be believed.

But they may need to refer his application to the London Embassy for final approval - assuming, of course, that that is what the words "some may be submitted to the Thai Embassy in London" in the footnote mean (as opposed to him having to make the necessary submission directly to the Embassy himself)!

Edited by OJAS

I thought it was quite clear that all applications for Visas from the UK etc now should be made to the Royal Thai Embassy in London; not Hull or anywhere else. The Thai Embassy website makes this totally clear. People interested in or sorry for Honorary Consuls for whose demise, condolences, should read some Graham Greene!

Nonsense.

The UK Thai Hon. consulates are (with the exception of B'ham) open for business and will issue visas.

What is true is that postal applications can only be sent to the Embassy.

Yes I can corroborate that in respect of the Hull consulate - I spoke to them yesterday and it is definitely open and accepting visa applications - except for non OA visas of course which can only be applied for at the embassy in London. Disappointed Birmingham has closed - its a very long trip to Hull for me if I decide to go the non O route! But at least the Hull staff are very friendly!

I caught the guy just before he was going to go for lunch as the website had the wrong times. He went all the way back up to his office and processed my documents, after 10 minutes he returned with my passport stamped and my change. I told him to keep it as he had done me a big favour. Top man. RIP. I hope he enjoyed his lunch on me that day

• Like 1

Having been on a Retirement Visa for some time, it's many years since I last met this gentleman, but, at that time, we had a chat and a cigarette out on the pavement on the ramp going up to the Shopping Centre, he was a nice chap and also very good at the job of being Honorary Consul.

If my memory serves me correctly he took over from a husband and wife team, and he was a lot easier to deal with.

He will certainly be missed by the Thai Farang Ex-Pats of Central England.

I do hope that his position gets filled swiftly and, hopefully, with someone of a similar ilk.

RIP.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What do you find so difficult to understand about the Hon Consul (sadly) dying ?

No sarcasm intended, I simply want to better understand why the Embassy closed, after all, if the UK Bangkok Embassy closed just because the Consul passed away and wasn't replaced, that would be surprising.

DO YOU GET IT NOW!

Its a consulate and not the embassy that closed. The Royal Thai Embassy in London will never close down and so will not be the UK High Commission in Bangkok.

You can't just replace a consul overnight.

DO YOU GET IT NOW!

Its a consulate and not the embassy that closed. The Royal Thai Embassy in London will never close down and so will not be the UK High Commission in Bangkok.

You can't just replace a consul overnight.

I do understand the difference between the two and it was my error that in my haste I wrote Embassy instead of Consulate, evidence of this is that I wrote Consul whereas an embassy is staffed by an Ambassador. None of which detracts however from the validity of the question I asked in post 2, why that person was not being replaced and the consulate closed, only subsequent local knowledge revealed the person was an Honorary Consul rather than an appointed on although there was no indication in the post this was the case.

• 6 months later...

Whilst the Consulate in Birmingham may have closed, plenty of people have been attending the Consulate in Cardiff where they are very friendly and accommodating - quick too. Easy to get to aswell by coming off at Jct 33 of the M4, just 1 straight road then (A4232 for abt 8 miles) to the Consulate (ignore sat navy instructions to come off at Jct 28/29 as it takes you thru the city centre).

6 hours ago, Jacee858 said:

Whilst the Consulate in Birmingham may have closed, plenty of people have been attending the Consulate in Cardiff where they are very friendly and accommodating - quick too. Easy to get to aswell by coming off at Jct 33 of the M4, just 1 straight road then (A4232 for abt 8 miles) to the Consulate (ignore sat navy instructions to come off at Jct 28/29 as it takes you thru the city centre).

Yes, I have used Cardiff and they are excellent. It is best to make an appointment before going, just in case. Generally speaking, visas while you wait within about 20 minutes.