Pongyang Zipline and Jungle Coaster Declared 'Safe' After Chiang Mai Police Visit

webfact

Pongyang Zipline and Jungle Coaster Declared 'Safe' After Chiang Mai Police Visit
by CityNews

pongyang-zipline-1024x768.jpg

CityNews – Chiang Mai police visit Pongyang Zipline and Jungle Coaster to check the safety of the rides after three people were injured three weeks ago, causing the centre to temporary close and re-open with ‘better’ safety standards.

Commander of the Chiang Mai Police Station visited the centre on April 25 to inspect whether the improvements were substantial to keep the centre open.

The visit comes after stricter laws regarding safety at entertainment centres have been passed.

The conclusion was that Pongyang Zipline and Jungle Coaster is “within safe standard levels” and may remain open.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/pongyang-zipline-jungle-coaster-declared-safe-chiang-mai-police-visit/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-04-27

While there is no "proof" offered with the stats I found doing a quick search of the Internet using the search string 'Amusement Park Accidents USA,' even if we were to cut the numbers by 50%, it would still indicate that Thailand is not alone in its safety problems...

"Between 1990 and 2000, around 82,000 children under 18 were taken to emergency rooms after suffering injuries from amusement park rides. An additional 11,000 suffered injuries on rides outside amusement parks, such as those found at local malls, restaurants, or arcades.'

Interestingly enough, the accident which leads ALL the lists of "World's Worst Tourist Attraction Accidents" is the UK's 'Alton Towers rollercoaster crash!

Perhaps it's time we stop bashing Thailand's safety record, and look closer to home...

While there is no "proof" offered with the stats I found doing a quick search of the Internet using the search string 'Amusement Park Accidents USA,' even if we were to cut the numbers by 50%, it would still indicate that Thailand is not alone in its safety problems...

"Between 1990 and 2000, around 82,000 children under 18 were taken to emergency rooms after suffering injuries from amusement park rides. An additional 11,000 suffered injuries on rides outside amusement parks, such as those found at local malls, restaurants, or arcades.'

Interestingly enough, the accident which leads ALL the lists of "World's Worst Tourist Attraction Accidents" is the UK's 'Alton Towers rollercoaster crash!

Perhaps it's time we stop bashing Thailand's safety record, and look closer to home...

The standards are bad all over agreed but that is no reason to stop complaining. Once you stop the safety will never get better

The standards are bad all over agreed but that is no reason to stop complaining. Once you stop the safety will never get better

Two points to consider;

1. Do you really believe that a small group of foreigners bitching and moaning on a local internet forum (just one of MANY Thailand internet forums at that,) is going to motivate the government to take action? I believe you've seen just how much it's improved the difficulties with Chiang Mai Immigration...

2. Does ranting that Thailand is the Devil Incarnate improve anything at all? Or just serve as a platform for more Thai bashing?

Come on, this deserves bashing. What credentials do they have for inspecting this equipment?

I agree there should be more oversight everywhere, but nobody wants to put up the cash for inspectors. Do your research before you get on rides. They are for thrills after all. In addition, the USA has many many more amusement parks and community rides than Thailand. I never would ride on those community carnivals with the drugged up sleep deprived kids putting the rides together and running them.

I am not in any way bashing Thailands safety record.

I am very aware of the horrendous Alton Towers accident.

What I do find odd is that the police inspected the equipment in question and were able to give it the all clear

The accident that did occur was because one car came to a full stop and a car behind ran into it.

Perhaps... and just 'perhaps,' the only thing needed to prevent the accident that had happened there before was the placement of more signs in several languages stating that it was forbidden to stop the cars completely during the ride, more spacing before allowing the next car to start, or just an adjustment of the brake system to prevent total stopping. We really do NOT know the facts, so 'possibly' the police could give it passing grades.