The Life Nomadic: Thailand is the Place for World’s Wireless Workforce

The Life Nomadic: Thailand is the Place for World’s Wireless Workforce
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14616778731461677916l.jpg
The KoHub coworking space on Koh Lanta in a photo posted April 17. Photo: KoHub / Facebook

BANGKOK — On Aline Dahmen’s first evening in Bangkok, a 58-year-old Japanese man in her dinner group could not conceal his surprise at the fact she had no idea where life would take her next.

“You have no plan, how can it be possible?” he asked the 22-year-old German as he taught her how to use chopsticks. For the man, who had recently bought a condo in the capital as part of his carefully planned retirement, the idea of hopping around the world without a plan was unimaginable.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1461677873

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-27

I suppose it's a good thing the Thai royal police can't read english. Otherwise all the people mentioned in the article could expect a knock on the door.

It seems a bit unfair that people take advantage of infrastructures in theis guest and homecountries that they are not really contributing to...

But, they are arresting white people in cafes? I'm pretty sure this is not tolerated. I was just talking with my friend a few days ago, and he said he knows many people arrested, and they were not even working online. I'm sure they let them go, but not sure.

But, they are arresting white people in cafes? I'm pretty sure this is not tolerated. I was just talking with my friend a few days ago, and he said he knows many people arrested, and they were not even working online. I'm sure they let them go, but not sure.

"My friend " gets around a lot on Thai Visa Forum.

If their 'source of income' is outside of Thailand, they will be okey and free to do what they do *EXCEPT* if they spend more than 6 months a year in Thailand. At which point they should be required to pay taxes if they make above a certain amount. If they are in Thailand for more than 6 months, and earning more than 150k THB/mo (I believe that's the #) and not paying taxes, they may technically be doing something illegal.

6 early 20's guys renting a house near me, high speed internet, state of the art lap tops. Playing online poker, they averaged over 800 $USD a day ench, their winnings were paid into a visa cash card in their home country.

When the visa rules crunch they had to leave but they did this for over a year. There were 2 web designers from the same countries who are now doing web site design and Graphics design for their employers in their home countries. Working on vacation (tourist visas) and getting paid and using Thailand's resources and not paying taxes.

And that is/was only a couple I knew of in our small village, difficult to catch and prove as there is no paper trail to follow.

Just a thought from a tax payer.

Very non-traditional way of living, largely absent when those of a certain generation were young.

Living life by the seat of your pants would be fun, long as they are preparing for the future - a nod to the old school guys who worked and saved along the way to ensure comfortable flexibility in later years.