PM Prayut says int'l organizations not allowed to observe referendum

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think you can have the words "Thailand" and "organise a referendum" in the same sentence.

I'll say it again: Events in a hospital and a morgue, whenever we know the truth, in BKK may blow the whole thing wide open. We have sent the children to France already!!

as wise expats preach always have an exit plan, hopefully it does not get to that stage.

dreading to talk exit plans with the wife, her parents would stay at home, but her sister nephew should have a plan.

hopefully this situation will pass peacefully.

What are there for observers to observe?

Voters voting for a constitution, where 90% of the population don't understand the content or future implications.

How many yes-voters are aware of the future powers of the appointed senate? No more coups, because now it can all be done with a simple vote in the senate, cancelling out any elected government.

Thaitanic at full speed towards the iceberg!!

Not to worry.

The autocrats are certainly being monitored from outside their bubble. (And by others within it)

P.S. to Pluto:

Donald Trump will never become President of the United States. thumbsup.gif

Trump wasn't meant to get this far either.

His personality would not be tolerant of a junta leader being insultive that's for sure.

Many government officials will be hoping your prediction is correct and no show down looms.

Somehow Trump would not be the guy who backs down were it ever tested.

Why ever not? surely the army will not be helping the voters fill in their ballot papers and proxy voting for absent votersfacepalm.gif

If Thailand wants to be seen as democratic and free of corruption then it needs to be transparent.

He may lack a map and stars (and a conscience) - but he has an astrologer.

'i will no longer tolerate it'

this is getting more and more disturbing.

this ship's captain is starting to navigate without maps or stars.

Transparency - The Wit and Wisdom of the PM

Nov 2014

The new charter must be people-centred, fair, thorough, transparent and, most importantly, effective, Gen Prayut said in his weekly talk programme yesterday.

Dec 2014 (Thai PBS)

Speaking at a special lecture entitled “Transparency in Organisational Management in Thailand”, to award organisations with outstanding performances in transparency at the 4th NACC Integrity Award, Gen Prayut said his government has placed anti corruption task as a national agenda to create confidence among foreign investors.
He said it was necessary to make transparency a value for all organisations as it could obstruct the country from moving forward if there is no transparency

Sep 2015 (Speech to the United Nations)

In the area of human rights, Thailand has always accorded priority to protecting and promoting human rights for all groups of people.

Furthermore, sustainability can only be achieved when we put in place a framework of fair rules for all to abide by, when we promote good governance that, in turn, leads to greater transparency and accountability.

March 2016 (NNT)

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cham, who is also head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said he had instructed his cabinet ministers to closely monitor all operations and projects in order to prevent possible corruption practices. He stressed that all activities must be transparent and open to scrutiny.

April 2016

“It is inappropriate yet and I won’t allow such observation. Is it appropriate or does any country ever has permitted to observe its own referendum. Who owns Thailand ..or is it owned by Thai people. Is it enough to drag outsiders to allocate the country, to divide the country into parts. I will no longer tolerate it.”

What is he afraid of? Transparency?

And, yes, there are countless occasions where such votes have observed.

Do you think that the British government would allow Thai observers to monitor the Brexit/Bremain referendum if they requested to do so?

Do you think that the British government would allow Thai observers to monitor the Brexit/Bremain referendum if they requested to do so?

Yes.

........and the Togan, Nepalese, Mali, North Korean, Russian, Chinese observers?

My dear PM sorry to break it to you, but international observers are actually monitoring other constitution referendum - a recent example is the Armenia constitution referendum, but they have also been monitoring Egypt's referendum on a new constitution. Monitors are also used in state building - e.g. Montenegro's independence was monitored and as far as I remember Crimea's claim for independence was dismissed by UN because it was not internationally monitored. Indonesia has repeatedly had international monitors in their elections since Suharto (although they don't follow the recommendations given by the monitors).

But as we know Thailand is the world, so perhaps you are right it hasn't happened before.

But could it be because they are afraid to lose face if they e.g. invite OSCE, and OSCE then refuse to monitor the referendum (they did that in Belarus as that constitutional referendum didn't follow European standards)?

Or perhaps it is good no international bodies are here to monitor, as they might otherwise provide legitimacy to a no-debate referendum?

Yes.

........and the Togan, Nepalese, Mali, North Korean, Russian, Chinese observers?

So now you are going to continually move the goalposts and rephrase the question until you get the answer you want.

Have Togan, Nepalese, Mali, North Korean, Russian, Chinese observers requested to do so? Have they been refused?

Edited by baboon

I see things in my head like it's an imaginary tennis match and the game is in a tie breaker.

On one side is the people of Thailand and on the other is the evil that lurks in the shadows.....

blink.png

I see things in my head like it's an imaginary tennis match and the game is in a tie breaker.

On one side is the people of Thailand and on the other is the evil that lurks in the shadows.....

blink.png

A bit harsh labelling TV posters as 'the evil that lurks in the shadows'

Yes.

Yes, if they are part of a standard international election observation mission, I don't see why not.

For example the National Democratic Institute (who does international monitoring) has an office here, so they could send someone from the Bangkok office if they feel there is a need.

However I would imagine they try to spend their budget the best way possible and a Brexit referendum is probably not top priority - they will e.g. monitor the constitutional referendum in Libya and Tanzania later this year along with other elections around the globe.

There is no ambiguity about expressing an opinion about it: those in favour do so with impunity, those against get carted off.

And didn't the EC monitor the Scottish vote ( and do some sight seeing)?

No no. The EC went to ensure the British carried out the Scottish referendum with transparency and without any funny business.

They did a good job by all accounts and the British were very grateful for the help. Expect Scotland Yard will be asking the BiB for help next. whistling.gif

To which the answer is 'Yes' unless you have evidence otherwise.

A rhetorical question doesn't call for an answer - it is purely to demonstrate or emphasise a point.

And your point in this instance was?